DJ not-I: A Pop Rhapsody

The World Mashup Competition SUBMISSION forum..... (PLEASE POST HERE ONLY FOR THE MASHSTIX.COM YOUTUBE MASHUP COMPETITION)

Would you like to hear this on the radio?

Yes
53%
No
32%
Maybe
16%

Total votes : 19
1 star User

DJ not-I: A Pop Rhapsody

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Hey there! Last minute as usual...

For those people familiar with my previous body of work this may come as somewhat of a surprise, but I've risen to this challenge with an all-out pop mash-up featuring 13 songs in one corporate chord progression with 5 modulations, several extra samples and one additional beat. Aside from the extra beat and samples, I've used only stuff from the 2009 Billboard Top 100. My one self-imposed limitation was refusing to use any B.E.P. (a pet hate of mine). Otherwise, anything was GO!

I've called it "A Pop Rhapsody" and in the process of making it, I've learned to better appreciate (some of) the artists I've mashed (plus I can't stop tapping my foot, nodding my head, or slapping my thigh while listening).

I hope you like it too...

[Edit 3]: Hey, Youtube video finally up!

phpBB [media]

[Edit 2]: Vimeo video up:

phpBB [media]

http://fairtilizer.com/track/poprhapsody

Posting the video is going to take a while, even though it's long finished (Youtube is acting stupid as usual, and I'm currently on my third attempt there after reducing the quality. I'm also uploading on Vimeo and last.fm) In the meantime, you can listen at the Fairtilier link above (looks like I'll be pulling an all-nighter just to get the f***ing video up).

Stay tuned; Be Back Later!

Peace & Much Love,

~I

[edit 1]: very low quality video (but good sound) now up on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/music/dj+Not-i/+videos/42877873 Hopefully, HQ vid on Youtube and Vimeo to follow soon...

[Edit 4]: oh yeah, Sources:

Jay Sean: "Down" (instrumental)
Flo Rida ft. Ke$ha: "Right Round" (acapella)
Pitbull: "Calle Ocho (You Know I Want You)" (acapella)
T.I. ft. Rihanna: "Live Your Life" (acapella)
Shakira: "She Wolf" (acapella)
Taylor Swift: "Love Story" (acapella)
Soulja Boy Tell 'Em ft. Sammie: "Kiss Me Thru The Phone" (acapella)
Lady GaGa: "Just Dance" & "Paparazzi" (acapellas)
Beyonce: "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" (acapella)
Katy Perry: "Hot n Cold" (acapella)
Kelly Clarkson: "My Life Would Suck Without You" (acapella)
Coldplay: "Viva la Vida"

Additional beats by A-Trak
Out of context shout-outs by Josh R (B96 Chicago) & Tim (http://www.radioclashblog.com)
Last edited by DJ not-I on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

All Star User

Re: DJ not-I: A Pop Rhapsody

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:59 pm

Here's something I don't say often ........ F*CK ME. :o

Talk about change of style. Your key matching puts the rest of us to shame.

I love the use of Josh and Tim in there, great idea. And the mixture of instrumentals is a nice and welcome change to the multi mash idea.

I think the key change at 3:20 in the instrumental catches you a bit off guard. May require somesort of bridge. As does the bit when Lady Gaga comes in a minute later.

I only mention this because this track could easily find its way into getting some serious commercial airplay.

Dylster !

PS Looking forward to seeing the video. Just how big is it ?

1 star User

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:39 pm

DylanVasey wrote:Here's something I don't say often ........ F*CK ME. :o

Talk about change of style. Your key matching puts the rest of us to shame.

Well, F*CK ME too! THANKS! :D

I'd have to be a real a**hole if I ripped other people's mash-ups apart for being out of key in my reviews and made the same mistakes in my own. There are plenty of fine mashers who know key. To be honest, I find it rather easy to make this kind of thing. Corporate pop is mostly the same anyway. I just prefer to make more (IMO) interesting sh*t. My weakness is mix-down/mastering: I'd love to find a friend here to re-master this track, even if I quite like it how it is.

As for change of style, this unabashed openness came to me in a flash of kenshô, even if you'll find some residual cynicism in the take-down ("suck!") of Coldplay at the end. My next mash will probably be very heavy and "evil" again. :twisted: But yeah, I'm trying to stay more open to any and everything; that's something I learned from DJ Schmolli ( and meditation).

DylanVasey wrote:I think the key change at 3:20 in the instrumental catches you a bit off guard. May require somesort of bridge. As does the bit when Lady Gaga comes in a minute later.

I only mention this because this track could easily find its way into getting some serious commercial airplay.

Points well taken! - even if I like the element of surprise, I see what you mean and would apply them in a new version.

Thanks!
~I

1 star User

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 am

This is a big fat yes from me!

Great track, maybe a little too long, otherwise I love it!

1 star User

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:41 am

Incredible Mashup, great video! Respect! DJ not-I flexes some real muscle with his new mashup. This is TOP quality stuff, blows anything out there.  Makes other mashup artists look like kids playing in the sandbox, and gives an hones tribute to all the musicians featured.

1 star User

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:40 am

oDyss wrote:This is a big fat yes from me!

Great track, maybe a little too long, otherwise I love it!

Thanks man! I'll be checking and voting on all the other submissions soon (actually, I've already checked out many of them).

Re: "maybe a little too long" - You're probably right - I could definitely trim a bit of Taylor Swift and GaGa. Part of my point was to demonstrate the utter repetitiveness of corporate pop, and lord knows this mash can be a tad overbearing (I needed to listen to some Beatles, King Crimson, and Kate Bush just to clear my head after that mixing/mashing/video-making marathon).

Again, THANKS! ;)

1 star User

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:56 am

Chicorama wrote:Incredible Mashup, great video! Respect! DJ not-I flexes some real muscle with his new mashup. This is TOP quality stuff, blows anything out there.  Makes other mashup artists look like kids playing in the sandbox, and gives an hones tribute to all the musicians featured.

:lol: Haha, that's my good friend Ramy being over the top as usual. But hey, at least he registered and voted here (which I think was part of the purpose of this exercise).

If you think that post was me bigging myself up under a different name (perish the thought), here's his myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/mcchicorama (I produced that thing and you can hear me rapping after 1:30). And for our live raw sh*t, check out Donkey Force: http://www.myspace.com/thehorsemenfour

Well, looks like I've gotten in even more gratuitous self promotion here, but as a dog I feel empowered by the Year of the Tiger.

Anyway, ELMO LOVES YOU ALL! Even the peeps who have voted "no" on this thing. And not-I will always love you too!

Peace!

1 star User

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:31 am

Very very good. Creative and very well produced. I'll vote yes definitely.
I especially like the first part, before Just Dance comes in. But it's great from beginning to end

The only thing I have to say is that Lady GaGa seems out of tempo @ 5:21...

1 star User

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:22 am

Sergio wrote:Very very good. Creative and very well produced. I'll vote yes definitely.
I especially like the first part, before Just Dance comes in. But it's great from beginning to end

The only thing I have to say is that Lady GaGa seems out of tempo @ 5:21...

Yeah, I just knew that was bit rushed, but was in hurry to finish before the deadline.

Thanks for the kudos and, more importantly, for the constructive feedback!

All Star User

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:33 am

wow! Awesome job both with audio and video. Just amazing!

Next

Return to Mashstix.com Mashup Challenge [YOUTUBE] - Presented By Dj Stroke