Catch Tron By Suprise!

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Catch Tron By Suprise!

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Hello Stixers!

First of all! Happy belated new year to you all. this track needs a little bit of work i think... so I'm asking for a little bit of help - the tracks I'm using are:

Diplo C'mon (pella) - for some reason its missing the C'Mon bit... does anyone know/have a copy of the pella with that bit and - how do i remove that annoying woman in the middle making a stupid breathe noise?? lol

Tron Reconfigured_adagio for Tron (teddybears remix) Mental...(its amazing)

as far as i can tell, mixed in key tells me they're both 12A, they sound pretty good together but there is a 46 beat section in the middle that has no music, as i have a new lappy with limted music, what do you think would sound good in the middle part of the track... or is silence beneficial...

on the other hand if you think its naff tell me - its all good, I'm a hobbyist not a pro but you legends over this way always give advice - its helped out loads, just for making mix tapes and not mashups lol.

oh and because the Tron is quite Bassy strait away, have your volume a little lower - I don't want to ruin your lovely sound makers...

Much love peeps

No Flash Installed

All Star User

Re: Catch Tron By Suprise!

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:25 am

Hi happy new year to you too :)
This sounds in time and in key to my ears. I don't have the other pella you are speaking of so maybe someone else does I don't think you can remove the woman's voice unless you have the multi track but her voice really doesn't bother me. The middle part instrumental only sounds fine to me without vocals but maybe others could recommend a source to drop in there. Anyway, I think it's a fun mashup and has good energy. Let's hear some other comments from people! cheers.

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:27 am

Hey facer,

Thats a pretty lively track you have there - I like a bit of Diplo and I love anything Tron-based (no relation, honest :lol: ) so congrats on having a go with the two.

It does sound pretty good together, and so you should pursue this I think. What I would say though is take it back to basics and watch your levels - as you say, its a bassy remix, and the vocals are quite powerful anyway in terms of delivery, so make sure you notch everything down a tad on volume, and take it from there. Keep an eye on the monitor peaks in your DAW, and maybe even EQ some of those bass frequencies out as they can resonate which causes discomfort in the lugholes! :D

With regards silence, it's entirely your call. Sometimes a silent break can add tension or drama to a track, othertimes it can kill the mood of a track. It's how you view it that's important. Myself, when I'm faced with an awkward section that needs something I try and add a sample in, and using Tron here, would be a great excuse to put a killer line in from either movie. Then BOOM, back in to the instrumental. Be wary of adding filler for the sake of adding filler though.

Can't help with the acapella I'm afraid, but google is your friend (if it exists),

Good luck with it and hope to hear a finished product up here soon

Cheers
A
CLT / FB / SCD / DJ for your Soul

1 star User

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:44 am

Colatron wrote:Hey facer,

Thats a pretty lively track you have there - I like a bit of Diplo and I love anything Tron-based (no relation, honest :lol: ) so congrats on having a go with the two.

It does sound pretty good together, and so you should pursue this I think. What I would say though is take it back to basics and watch your levels - as you say, its a bassy remix, and the vocals are quite powerful anyway in terms of delivery, so make sure you notch everything down a tad on volume, and take it from there. Keep an eye on the monitor peaks in your DAW, and maybe even EQ some of those bass frequencies out as they can resonate which causes discomfort in the lugholes! :D

With regards silence, it's entirely your call. Sometimes a silent break can add tension or drama to a track, othertimes it can kill the mood of a track. It's how you view it that's important. Myself, when I'm faced with an awkward section that needs something I try and add a sample in, and using Tron here, would be a great excuse to put a killer line in from either movie. Then BOOM, back in to the instrumental. Be wary of adding filler for the sake of adding filler though.

Can't help with the acapella I'm afraid, but google is your friend (if it exists),

Good luck with it and hope to hear a finished product up here soon

Cheers
A

Woohoo! glad people like it ;-) -- I didn't even think about using a Tron quote on this... jeeze! what an epic idea. I know exactly the one I am going to use! back to work on this one me thinks :-)
I shall post an updated one once its sorted. :-)

1 star User

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:27 pm

OK Ladies and Gents,

here is the new track MarKII.

No Flash Installed

it took me all day to find the sample for the Grid at a good enough quality to use... I gave up in the end and took a direct recording of the entire Blu-Ray for Tron i have onto my hdd and voila! I also made the track a little bit longer, to make is sound more like a song not a mumbo jumbo mixup lol.

thanks for the feedback ladies and gents :-)
what else could I do to this to make it special?

much love :-)

3 Star User
Location: The uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Holy sh*t, these Teddybears?!

Haven't heard V1 but V2 is brilliant. For some reason, I knew 'The Grid' would be the quote you would use.. but anyway, this is super stuff!

facer123 wrote:what else could I do to this to make it special?)

Since you asked.. personally, I'd add a few vocal samples at the start and end. Either with effects or not, not bothered, but that's personally speaking.

Overall, this is good stuff :D

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:22 pm

HifiBanjoStrings wrote:Holy sh*t, these Teddybears?!

Haven't heard V1 but V2 is brilliant. For some reason, I knew 'The Grid' would be the quote you would use.. but anyway, this is super stuff!

facer123 wrote:what else could I do to this to make it special?)

Since you asked.. personally, I'd add a few vocal samples at the start and end. Either with effects or not, not bothered, but that's personally speaking.

Overall, this is good stuff :D

What Oli said! :D

What I would say, is keep an eye on the rap that comes back in after the Grid sample - it's in danger of racing the instrumental a tiny bit until the rap slows back down.

But brill stuff!

facer123 wrote:]I gave up in the end and took a direct recording of the entire Blu-Ray for Tron i have onto my hdd and voila!

Good lad :) I've done the same myself so many times looking for the perfect sample. In the case of samples I've supplied for Fred Fissunix, on one night alone I watched 4 movies all the way through in less than 5 hours to find just 5 seconds of audio. Just mind it doesn't become an obsession for you like it has me :lol:

Great stuff!

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:33 pm

right then, I listened to your original posting back on Friday and immediately thought of using samples from the movie... but i thought I'd leave this to Colatron, i guessed he'd take an interest in this one.

I think this is a great track, but a couple of issues, firstly watch your levels, the samples you've added are way louder than Busta's vocals, so they need bringing down... the second point, Andy has already mentioned, just after the samples that next verse isn't on beat..

Other than that i really enjoyed this... nice work :D
lloyd

No Flash Installed

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

lloyd wrote:right then, I listened to your original posting back on Friday and immediately thought of using samples from the movie... but i thought I'd leave this to Colatron, i guessed he'd take an interest in this one.

I think this is a great track, but a couple of issues, firstly watch your levels, the samples you've added are way louder than Busta's vocals, so they need bringing down... the second point, Andy has already mentioned, just after the samples that next verse isn't on beat..

Yep - sorry dude, forgot to mention that the sample was WAY above the rest of the track, it's quite noticeable once the rap kicks back in. I'd say it could come down a good 3 or 4 dB to be honest.

With movie samples, I tend to drop 'em in. Apply some compression ("broadcast" preset on Audition) to make it stand out from the instrumental, and then dial it back down a good 4 or 5 dB as it will be well loud. This keeps it standing out against a 'mental, but not too loud or shiny 8-)

1 star User

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Colatron wrote:
lloyd wrote:right then, I listened to your original posting back on Friday and immediately thought of using samples from the movie... but i thought I'd leave this to Colatron, i guessed he'd take an interest in this one.

Yep - sorry dude, forgot to mention that the sample was WAY above the rest of the track, it's quite noticeable once the rap kicks back in. I'd say it could come down a good 3 or 4 dB to be honest.

With movie samples, I tend to drop 'em in. Apply some compression ("broadcast" preset on Audition) to make it stand out from the instrumental, and then dial it back down a good 4 or 5 dB as it will be well loud. This keeps it standing out against a 'mental, but not too loud or shiny 8-)

Hey Ladies and Gents!

I'm so sorry but I do not have the foggyest what compression is, Ableton Live 8 is on my "save up for cool stuff" list but i did this whole thing using Virtual DJ - believe me its been a stressful few days... lowering is just about all i can do at the moment LOL.

All that being said, I think I have pretty much done everything I could with this one, I'm sure you awesome folk will find some extra cool stuff i can add somewhere, but its difficult finding the right movie quote to fit in the time scales (all part of the magic I spose ^^)

And thanks everybody for the tipsters :-)

Kind Regards, Much Love. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

No Flash Installed

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>