Coldplay Vs Richard Bedford - Sun & Moon In Technicolor

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Coldplay Vs Richard Bedford - Sun & Moon In Technicolor

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:57 pm

Coldplay Vs Richard Bedford - Sun & Moon In Technicolor (Sunday Morning Stereo Mashup)

Sources:
Coldplay - Life In Technicolor II (Instrumental)
Above & Beyond - Sun & Moon (Acapella)

My computer commited suicide 2 weeks ago so havent been mashing so much lately. Anyways ive put a lot of work down to this one, but im a little afraid i messed up something still. Ive been doing lots of cutting here so i barely remember whats what ^^ So yeah tell me what you think, whats good and whats bad.

And ps :P Its a perfect match with Pixie Lot Cry Me Out aswell if anyones interested^^

No Flash Installed

Last edited by SundayMorningStereo on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

1 star User

Re: Coldplay Vs Above & Beyond - Sun & Moon In Technicolor

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Sounds good to me. I haven't heard either sources separately but it sounds ok.

2 Star User

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 am

Yigytugd wrote:Sounds good to me. I haven't heard either sources separately but it sounds ok.

...what? Never heard Coldplay's track? You been living in a burrow? :D

Unfortunately, to my ears, the vocals sound OOT (off beat) from 27 seconds onwards. Think it needs a little tweaking to get them back on beat. You could borrow Boris's tapping toe if it helps ;) ...or if your mashing s/w has a metronome, try using that (timed correctly with the mental) to get the vocals aligned.

3 Star User
Location: The uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:15 am

I'm with Flashard here - the vocals are a touch ahead of the instrumental. Nudge them back and it'll be great (I can hear no OOK moments, so that's all good!) And, after listening to it fully, the vocals really do slip in and out of time all over the shot. And while this could just be me, I think some of the lines in the verses start on the wrong beat or at least, they might be better suited to a new placement. Just something to think about, but I'd like to hear what anyone else thinks of that.

Shame about the timing issues as this is a really enjoyable track :)

Oh, and if your software has no metronome, a click track at the right tempo will do.

1 star User

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:46 am

Hi everyone and thanks for replies :lol:

So my suspicions where right. Its the first ''guitar'' track ive worked with and ive had a bit of issues. I find it hard sometimes to actually hear whats the beat. I think the vocals might start on the wrong beat here and there, making it sound like its off the beat. Its problably off beat here and there as well since the instrumental isnt consistent in bpm all the way trough the track.

I think ill have to do even more cutting here and maybe cheat the bpm a little in some parts.

Thanks for commenting =)

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:56 am

SundayMorningStereo wrote:Hi everyone and thanks for replies :lol:

So my suspicions where right. Its the first ''guitar'' track ive worked with and ive had a bit of issues. I find it hard sometimes to actually hear whats the beat. I think the vocals might start on the wrong beat here and there, making it sound like its off the beat. Its problably off beat here and there as well since the instrumental isnt consistent in bpm all the way trough the track.

I think ill have to do even more cutting here and maybe cheat the bpm a little in some parts.

Thanks for commenting =)

Hey SMS, don't worry about the beat. As you know, I rarely use 'em these days ;)

Look for the swell or pulse of the guitar or piano or string section, or whatever instrument you are working against, within your DAW.

Count your own beats over the top, try micro-nudges on the spliced vocals etc. and it'll all come together with a bit of patience (be sure to keep refreshing the ears every hour though when you don't have beats to visually cue against - I've recently finished a mash for a compilation that was basically a piece of orchestral music with no beats; well with no regular breaks, I actually had about 5 versions of the track with the vox laid out differently. Had to give it 3 days rest before deciding upon the correct one!).

This would be a great track with a little bit of tweaking, but if you put it aside, don't give up on guitar mashes, they're the future :D

Cheers
A.
CLT / FB / SCD / DJ for your Soul

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:49 am

Yep, listen to Colatron on this one - he's right. :) This works splendidly. I agree on the timing of the vocals. They're a bit ahead every now and then. Nothing to serious though. This sounds great! :)

G.

2 Star User

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:51 pm

If you need a beat to line up vocals with in cases like this, you could grab a perfectly timed breakbeat (or other rhythmic sample) and loop it in your DAW for the length of your track. Turn off the instrumental you're using and line up the vocals to just the beat. Then turn your music back on and the vocals should be fitting pretty good. That is, unless your instrumental is the part that is wavering so much. :)

- Rhythm Scholar

1 star User

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi again everyone!

Ive worked some more on this one and its going great. It was really easy to fix, or i mean, i hope i have fixed it. But it sounds a lot better to me now. Ill problably post it up tomorrow.

Anyways, i think the biggest problem i had here was that i started the pella on the wrong beat. And indeed they are put in too early. This pella usually have two ''highs'' in the first sentence, i used the wrong one some places, and some places it was correct.

Its fun to see your own errors, im just waiting to be able to see them myself before doing them :lol:

And yes rhytm scolar its the instrumental whos a little edgy, but i dont think it will be a problem after all =)

Thanks for comments!

2 Star User

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Thank you GOOGLE for helping people find ME even if they type 'rhytm scolar'! :D

- Rhythm Scholar

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>