WTF Happened to Mashups

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
3 Star User

WTF Happened to Mashups

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:01 pm

http://fmitracks.com/2012/01/wtf-happened-to-mashups.html

Really though, its a nice read. I dont remember if i agree with EVERYTHING, but the guy has some points.

3 Star User
Location: The uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Re: WTF Happened to Mashups

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:23 pm

I have to disagree with some of the things he says - I think there's still a ton of originality out there, it's just drowned out by the unoriginal.

That said, the 'use popular sources = fans, use the sources that you personally want = no fans' holds very true..

2 Star User

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:54 pm

There are definitely some points here I agree with and the comments make for interesting reading too. The blog mashup scene is almost a completely different beast though, isn't it? That's always seemed like a thousand guys trying to be Girl Talk at one end of the spectrum and a load of would-be hipsters at the other end of the spectrum trying to out-niche The Hood Internet - neither groups really producing much I would want to listen to, even the good ones.

3 Star User

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:28 am

RebornIdentity wrote:There are definitely some points here I agree with and the comments make for interesting reading too. The blog mashup scene is almost a completely different beast though, isn't it? That's always seemed like a thousand guys trying to be Girl Talk at one end of the spectrum and a load of would-be hipsters at the other end of the spectrum trying to out-niche The Hood Internet - neither groups really producing much I would want to listen to, even the good ones.

I CONDONE IN THIS POST.

2 Star User

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:49 am

On one hand I agree with some of what he's writing.
On the other hand, is it not written a bit too much out of a mashup producers view?
And is it really the use of sources that is the problem, or is it the expending amount of mashup producers on the boards lately?

I mean, what's wrong with using nowadays populair sources to attract a bigger audience outside the mashup community? (Done properly ofcource!)
Especially in the Netherlands (where I come from and where mashups are not that well know by the common public yet) it's one of the ways to get young (and older) folks excited about this genre of music. The more populair the sources, the more obvious it is to the big 'ignorant' crowd that they're dealing with a mashup.

Apart from me having fun, I'm not making mashups for only a group of other mashup producers who are used to listen to mashups everyday and get bored with hearing a lot of the same populair sources used.
I think for the 'outside' public it's the other way around: they only hear a mashup now and then, and when they hear one with unknown sources or with only one known source, they probably would not recignise it as such: it could be aswell a remix or even an original track! And I think that's not really what a mashup is about... It's about the shocking effect, the 'wow' factor, the surprise (that's the appealing side that made me want to make mashups in the first place), wich i.m.o. can easier being reached by using sources most people know.....

So, sure it has to be done in the right way and some musical background or knowledge would help, but I see nothing wrong in the use of populair (overused) sources in mashups; even 'inside' the mashup community it's sometimes a great way to push oneself into trying to make something special out of it BECAUSE the sources are overused!

2 Star User

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:02 pm

If someone wants to make mashups that are accessible as possible to as many people as possible then you absolutely do need to use popular, well known sources. That shouldn't limit producers to using just American Top 40 chart pop material released in the last 15 minutes, should it? Or is that what it takes to get radio and club play/blog posts? There's so much more out there that people are familiar with.

I've got no problem with popular sources being used - even recent Top 40 pop tracks - if the track is well considered and well produced. If the idea came from Mixed in Key and it's been slapped together in 5 minutes to get the mash out there while the source is still new then it's a fair bet it's not going to be that good.

I agree with you [MMM] that many of us tend to look at things from a mashup producer's point of view (guilty as charged!) and maybe sometimes forget that most listeners will come to each track fresh, not having heard the other 20 mashups with the same key source that were released in the last month. So long as the idea and production are good, it doesn't really matter if the source has been done to death. Some of the best mashups are the ones that take an overused source and do something creative and fresh with it.

All Star User

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:08 pm

I totally agree with J's post. Initially when I read the article I got a little pissed off. Especially as the site seems happy to post carbon copies of Girl Talk like thats the benchmark of originality. Almost everything I've heard from there I wouldn't even call production, it's just editing.

That said I can see how people from within the scene, who do listen to a lot of mashups do get sick of the same material. But I think that has more to do with the amount of people producing mashups now, rather than everyone using the same material.

Originality is an issue though. I myself am guilty of this. Software like Mixed In Key has made it so almost anyone can throw two (or increasingly more) sources together in roughly the same key. It takes a lot of the originality out of it. Gone are the days when everything had to be a genre bend, or you had an actual idea first (for a mashup) and had to search for the material to make your combo.

My own feeling is that mashups now fall into three sub genres: for the scene, for the masses, for the US college crowd.

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so, it just shows development of the scene which I'm happy to embrace - after all if I don't like a particular style of mashup - I don't have to listen to it ha.

2 Star User

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:20 pm

DylanVasey wrote:My own feeling is that mashups now fall into three sub genres: for the scene, for the masses, for the US college crowd.

You're probably right about that. It's the ones for the US college crowd that I just don't get, but then I am about 15 years too old and on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

All Star User

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:46 pm

RebornIdentity wrote:
DylanVasey wrote:My own feeling is that mashups now fall into three sub genres: for the scene, for the masses, for the US college crowd.

You're probably right about that. It's the ones for the US college crowd that I just don't get, but then I am about 15 years too old and on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

ah! the US college crowd
its college radio in the USA that sets music trends and has done for ages. it was college radio that made bands like the cure and the bunnymen and lots of other british bands huge in america back in the 80's so if college radio has been playing mashups that might explain one or two things

All Star User

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Girl Talk and his ilk are pretty much US college material. It's a cross between 250 hip hop sources thrown over classics, to one hip hop source thrown over Deadmau5. It's not really my bag, but in the US - it is massive. It pretty much dictates the movement (for want of a better word) there.

As a little test ask yourself if Girl Talk would be known if it wasn't for his US college following.

In a way the scene has really moved into popular or pop culture now. This would help explain the explosion of mashup DJ's and producers over the last few years. It's no bad thing. People that were bedroom hobbyists are now earning a wage from what is largely an illegal pass time. More importantly, producers that were entertaining maybe 300 scene regulars are now getting serious downloads, recognition and being offered label work.

Major artists and labels are now paying attention, major radio stations all over the world are playing our creations - would this have happened without the use of popular (to the masses) sources?

Next

Return to Stix chat