FP RATINGS: case study

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
Site Admin

FP RATINGS: case study

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Small case study of FP ratings (using last 50 tracks that were FPed)

*read below graph for a more detailed explanation

Pre-analysis:
There are three reasons I did this quick study..
One, was because I've had more than a few complaints from djs about people voting down their tracks for irrational reasons and..
Two, because I wanted to see how well the mods were doing in picking good tracks (the FP worthiness of it all)
Three, maybe there was some sort of scale that made sense (ex. like the school scale of 90+ is an A, 80-89 is a B... and so on)

Observations:
the first thing to notice is that I used a sample size of the last 50 tracks that were frontpaged (and had at least 10 votes). Out of the group... the lowest score was a 60% and the highest was 89.7%. So, in other words, nothing was rated 0 to 59% and nothing was rated 90 to 100% (now our scale is beginning to take shape)

Analysis:

the magic number (the average of all the votes) is 77.9%

# of tracks between 60-69%: 8 or 16% of the total
# of tracks between 70-79%: 18 or 36% of the total
# of tracks between 80-89%: 24 or 48% of the total

there were 22 (44% of total) tracks out of the 50 that fell below the magic number.

there were 28 (56% of total) tracks out of the 50 that fell above the magic number.

My Conclusion:
obviously the scale in this test falls something like this...

rating below 60% = very bad tracks with major problems
60 to 69% = should not of been FPed but might be FP worthy with some tuning/editing
70 to 79% = FP worthy but not special
80% and above = Keepers (defo DLs)

if you want to look at it in a school scale system......

80+ is an A
70 to 79 is a B
60 to 69 is a C
and below 60 is an F

again, the magic number is 77.9% or a B+ in our scale..... which I think makes total sense as to the mark people should be striving for.

So How Did Our Mods Do?:

Mods were spot on 84% of the time if you consider A's and B's to be what we're shooting for the FP.
Which is pretty damn awesome and shows you guys are doing an ace job.

Now the bad is that Bruce... oops, I mean the mods posted 8 (16% of sample) tracks that had no business on the FP. Again, that is not a bad number... but it's also not a great number as ideally we'd be wrong 2 to 4% of the time.

Now I know some new people might look at this and smirk but I honestly not only believe in our mods, but must say that they know their stuff (accept 16% of the time haaa). So next time you think comments/criticism is harsh.... just remember there is a point to it all... and that's to have the best and only the best showcased here. If you want stuff posted with no standards or by people who have no idea that there is a difficult technical side to mashing... than please, go on google and join any of the other mashup sites and have fun. But if you want the best, well, you're already here aren't you.

Have fun peeps!

- Paul Stix

Re: FP RATINGS: case study

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:16 pm

I so want to comment on this thread but I fear people are already sick of hearing my views on the frontpage :D :D :D

Any chance of a breakdown of this by mods... I'd love to see how my frontpaging has faired... I'm always moaning about standards, I'd love to see if I'm actually practising what i preach :D
lloyd

No Flash Installed

2 Star User

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Ah, I like graphs and lists!! :P

But it also makes me think: what do the votes on the frontpage mean?
I guess it's most of the time more about populairity... And if the mods were only there to frontpage the good populair mashups, it would be a very flat and common display of what mashups (in all their variety) are about.
Sometimes I would like to FP a good, BUT 'out of the box' track, but I'm hessitating because I already know it doesn't get much votes (and that's confusing and not fair towards the maker of the mashup either).
Maybe taking the voting system off from the frontpage and put it in the threads of the 'submit mashups' forum would be an answer to my own question??

I guess I just want to say that numbers don't say everything ;)

All Star User

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:24 pm

Well eff me !

Two things jump out at me here .... Firstly, thats a very well written synopsis and proves everything we've every thought about our mod, and frontpage policy. Secondly, you obviously are bored on Sunday nights ha. Perhaps you need a 'banana' ;)

Whilst it would be interesting to see who was the mod with the most A grade tracks, I'm not sure it would be such a good idea to have that information public. I'm sure Paul can email the people who want the info.

I agree with MMM, and I'm sure everyone else does. If all we frontpage are the well known people the FP would be boring. The mods should always be prepared to FP an unknown to Mashstix name, or even a very experimental track. Mashups were born out of creativity, and we should salute anyone that tries something different.

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:30 pm

[MMM] wrote:And if the mods were only there to frontpage the good populair mashups

A mashup doesn't have to be popular to be good... but it does have to be good to be popular.
I would hope that no-one was hesitant to frontpage a good mashup because they thought the sources "unpopular".
The frontpaging of Mashups should be determined by the skill of the producer not the choice of tracks used... and likewise choosing "popular" tracks should count for nothing if the producer is lacking the skills to make them work together.
lloyd

No Flash Installed

3 Star User

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Hello,

I will be the first non-moderator to give my opinion, but hey leave your gun's outside & don't shoot ;)

Let's be realistic and honest : Anyone who posts a Mashup expects to receive the famous [FP]
next to it's name, otherwise why come over here? Now who should have the benefit of this famous
agragation given by a moderator ? Not everyone of course. I know that when I arrived here a few
months ago, I thought I was super good, and I took some bad advice they gave me, but some
opened my eyes and allowed me thanks to their opinion, correct me and get better.

The voting system is perhaps not the best, but it has the merit to exist.
Besides, I'm wondering about these votes. Moderators are selected for their experience and talent.
If one of them decides to award a spot on the "Front Page", why give the notice in question?
We do not like all the music the same way. Whatever the sources: Gothic, Hard Rock, Pop,
Funk, Rap, etc ...

If the mashup is successful and good quality, why would it not be rewarded by having its place on
the Mashstix "Walk Of Fame" ? There will always be a better mashup, but why do you ask people to
vote once access to the Front Page is acquired ?

We do not hear all the same way.
We do not listen all the same way.
Our musical affinities are all different.

People like Dylan will be better able to gratify an underground mashup, while Rick and Lloyd
(for example) seems to have a deeper understanding of music in general. In short it takes
for all tastes.

There are plenty of newbies (like me) faced a lot of questions about the Mashstix site, the voting
system, what moderator can or can not put [FP] among newcomers. If you question your voting
system, you should perhaps see why people already well known are systematically placed in
FrontPage, while honestly this is not always "justified".

Honestly, who really takes time to listen to all new Mashups and takes the trouble to vote for one or
the other? I know people who only care about their little pleasures staff never gives an opinion, so I
think they never vote either. Finally the current system is unfair.

You make mashups? You offer them here? You want comments, advices, opinions, or just be FP'ed ?
So why not devote 30 minutes of your week to go listen to others and give a minimum of
5 different votes. You have not met your obligations, then no FP either !
In French we say : no arms ? No chocolate ! :P

I take this opportunity to apologize to all the mods for my past behavior, and know that
I expect you in my next posts, for your opinions and comments.

Thanks Google Translation to help me to say this :)
I hope this translation is understandable that none of this will be misinterpreted.

Cheers,
Dav.
We WERE a family ...

Website | SoundCloud | Facebook | Twitter |

All Star User

Post Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Well, being a data analyst in real life Paul I'd be interested in you emailing me my stats as a mod not because I want to hit some particular mark but just because I find data interesting (yes I'm one of those guys.)

With that said there's no perfect system and Glyn (Lloyd) worded it very well when he said there's a variety of mods with a variety of backgrounds so that helps get the variety of mashups on the frontpage. I know I frontpage some mashups that are way out of my normal listening genre because I recognize they are good and I don't really worry if they will be popular or not. One of my biggest concerns is that people won't comment on a mashup that deserves comments that is good (frontpage or not) and thereby will fall into oblivion and not be heard as much. My other concern is that I miss hearing something that needs to be fixed and I've frontpaged it (which I've done and I'm sure will continue to do here and there.)

I know that it helps me to make frontpage decisions when other people (mods or not) comment on tracks and let everyone know what they like what they think could be better, etc. and it's just good for the mashup artist to get more feedback and for everyone involved. After all people put a lot of hard work into these and would like to know what people think otherwise they wouldn't be posting them.

Anyway, enough of my chatter - just glad we're all learning and having fun through the process b/c when it comes to the end of the day if we can't have fun and learn at this then why bother :) Cheers!

2 Star User

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 am

DeeM wrote:...If the mashup is successful and good quality, why would it not be rewarded by having its place on the Mashstix "Walk Of Fame" ? There will always be a better mashup, but why do you ask people to vote once access to the Front Page is acquired?...

RockstarBruski wrote:...I know that it helps me to make frontpage decisions when other people (mods or not) comment on tracks and let everyone know what they like what they think could be better, etc. and it's just good for the mashup artist to get more feedback and for everyone involved. After all people put a lot of hard work into these and would like to know what people think otherwise they wouldn't be posting them...

I agree with both of youi! Exactly that's why I proposed to put the voting system (and facebook 'likes') in the 'mashup thread' forum.
You give ALL the producers an easy way to promote their track on facebook or somewhere else and to get votes (and not only the FPed onces), wich atracts the visiters / voters to the thread where they also can place comments (wich in the present way is more indirect and so less inviting) besides only giving votes.

Like that you create more traffic to MashStix, you still have a voting system + chance on more comments, and the frontpage will be more a clean 'display window' of diverse 'crop-de-la-crop' mashups not bothered by votes...

All Star User

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 am

I agree with MMM about putting the votes in the submit here forum. I'm not sure how hard that would be for Paul though so dunno. Also, if votes where put into the submit here forum then if someone was just posting a demo of something in the works and didn't want votes then it would be good if maybe they posted it in a seperate area in the draft section or something but then those might not ever get heard or commente on. I suppose one could post drafts in the chat section. Paul comments?

3 Star User

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:05 am

Dears,

One proposition :
Why not keep the current system and add a 'Walk Of Fame" page.
If after one month in FP, the mashup has obtained 80% minimum (for example),
it will finally & automatically goes on the "Walk Of Fame" page.
"Walk Of Fame" page will only show the cream of the crop.

According to the musical affinities of our moderators, they add a mashup on the Front Page,
but it would be only the first step. The "Walk Of Fame" is the ultimate goal. What do you think?

Cheers,
Dav.
We WERE a family ...

Website | SoundCloud | Facebook | Twitter |

Next

Return to Stix chat