Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
User avatar
1 star User
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:57 am

Acapella's Used: Queen Another One Bites The Dust, Jay-Z 99 Problems
Instrumental Used: Bruno Mars Just The Way You Are

Sample Used: Brooklyn's Finest Jay-Z Ft. Notorious B.I.G

I feel like this mash personally surpasses my first horrible addition to this site. I will let you stixers decide if it is good or needs improvements, this is the white version which is fully uncut and uncensored. I was going to make a black version or censored but I don't think I will anymore.

Enjoy- Jholsta

No Flash Installed



Image

2 Star User
Posts: 721
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:36 pm
Location: floating in the Canadian ether

Re: Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Dude, I don't want to come off as harsh or rude but this track........I'll put it this way: I could only manage about 30 secs, the vocals are so out of time. Still, I'd say its worth going back and trying it again...I think it could be a cool mash! :)

(for what its worth, the Queen vocal is pretty good for the first 10-15 secs!)
Fine Canadian Purveyor of All Things Funky
Number One Soul Brother In Charge

User avatar
1 star User
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Re: Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Nosbic wrote:Dude, I don't want to come off as harsh or rude but this track........I'll put it this way: I could only manage about 30 secs, the vocals are so out of time. Still, I'd say its worth going back and trying it again...I think it could be a cool mash! :)

(for what its worth, the Queen vocal is pretty good for the first 10-15 secs!)


Have any other suggestions to make the mash sound more in time and sync?

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Location: Austin, Tx.

Re: Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Nos speaks the truth here... in fact I would be willing to bet you made this with some sh%t software like virtualdj...

But don't worry, we all have to start somewhere... so, your first step is to grab yourself a copy of good software..... theres a few that people use but the 80% of mashing is the ability to stretch the vocals and to cut the waves....

Lots of people use ableton but my software of choice is anything by Magix..... samplitude is really good imo.

........

ok step two....... forget using 2 pellas for now..... you should focus on making the jay z fit the backing.

Two things that I hear right away that are wrong..... 1) the pella needs to be sped up (thats where your ear will come into play) and 2) the pella starts a few seconds too late.

That's my advice about the jay z verse part...... as far as the chorus.... don't worry about that until you nail the verse as I'm not sure the chorus will work anyway.

.........

alright, you have your homework... now give it a try and post the results here (don't worry about making a full song yet... but see if you can match the whole first verse of the jay z track).. remember, you have to speed it up without changing the pitch (stretch it) otherwise it sounds like you just hit play on two cassette decks.

good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

- Paul Stix

User avatar
1 star User
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Re: Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:30 pm

Paul Stix wrote:Nos speaks the truth here... in fact I would be willing to bet you made this with some sh%t software like virtualdj...

But don't worry, we all have to start somewhere... so, your first step is to grab yourself a copy of good software..... theres a few that people use but the 80% of mashing is the ability to stretch the vocals and to cut the waves....

Lots of people use ableton but my software of choice is anything by Magix..... samplitude is really good imo.

........

ok step two....... forget using 2 pellas for now..... you should focus on making the jay z fit the backing.

Two things that I hear right away that are wrong..... 1) the pella needs to be sped up (thats where your ear will come into play) and 2) the pella starts a few seconds too late.

That's my advice about the jay z verse part...... as far as the chorus.... don't worry about that until you nail the verse as I'm not sure the chorus will work anyway.

.........

alright, you have your homework... now give it a try and post the results here (don't worry about making a full song yet... but see if you can match the whole first verse of the jay z track).. remember, you have to speed it up without changing the pitch (stretch it) otherwise it sounds like you just hit play on two cassette decks.

good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

- Paul Stix


I used Audacity to create this particular mash and no I didn't use Virtual DJ. Thanks for the critique by the way I am making a second version with Queen edited out and making Jay-Z's verse the main focus. Once Again I appreciate the criticism.

User avatar
4 Star User
Posts: 1697
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Born in Belgium

Re: Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:15 am

Hey dude,

you're lucky that you posted here because I think there are forums out there, that would have given you some real nasty critique on your work...

Like Nos and Paul allready wrote: focus on 1 part of the mash first.

The way I work with Ableton is I sync the instrumental to a clicktrack or metronome. This is really very important because once it's synced, you can be sure that every new part of your mash that is synced as well will fit in the tempo of your mental.

Second you should try to sync your acapella to the same clicktrack. So mute the mental and try to find the first beat (the one) and make sure the pella is perfectly on click.

When this is done, play the mental and grab your pella and drop it to the part where it should start.

In ableton this procedure takes only a couple of minutes. I'm not sure if it's that easy in audacity so maybe think about buying other software? (even the "simple" magix music maker has a tool to synchronise tracks to a click)

1 star User
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:50 pm
Location: California

Re: Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:18 pm

We all have to start somewhere.
On this site, you will learn that the community here will guide you.
There are some great people here.

User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 1304
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:44 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Agreed with the comments above here - but still, keep at it! You're right, you have to start somewhere. :)

User avatar
1 star User
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Re: Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 pm

DJ Rick Lee wrote:Hey dude,

you're lucky that you posted here because I think there are forums out there, that would have given you some real nasty critique on your work...

Like Nos and Paul allready wrote: focus on 1 part of the mash first.

The way I work with Ableton is I sync the instrumental to a clicktrack or metronome. This is really very important because once it's synced, you can be sure that every new part of your mash that is synced as well will fit in the tempo of your mental.

Second you should try to sync your acapella to the same clicktrack. So mute the mental and try to find the first beat (the one) and make sure the pella is perfectly on click.

When this is done, play the mental and grab your pella and drop it to the part where it should start.

In ableton this procedure takes only a couple of minutes. I'm not sure if it's that easy in audacity so maybe think about buying other software? (even the "simple" magix music maker has a tool to synchronise tracks to a click)


A second version is being made right as we speak Rick, fortunately audacity has a click track feature I looked up a tutorial and have followed what you said, I have also sped up the tempo of the song without changing the pitch. I have completely edited out Queen. The second version will be posted either today or tomorrow. I thank you for the critique it means alot.

User avatar
1 star User
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:26 pm
Location: Rep. of Ireland

Re: Queen Another one bites the dust Vs. Jay-Z 99 Problems Vs. B

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:05 am

Er, back to the drawing board or you are WAY ahead of your time!

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 112 guests