(FP) New rules Doesn't Kill You (Dua Lipa Vs Kelly Clarkson)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP) New rules Doesn't Kill You (Dua Lipa Vs Kelly Clarkson)

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:55 pm

DjLegato - New rules Doesn't Kill You (Dua Lipa Vs Kelly Clarkson)

Dua Lipa - New rules (instrumental)
Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) (acapella)

Another A+B from me, hope you all like it. :1rolleyes:
Any feedback would be great!!
The mashup is a simple a+b, but i thought it sounded nice together,
i did however not master it as i use to, cus Ive lost confidence to my ears :1sad:

And as always, i can take any critique! I'm a grown up :1tongue:

No Flash Installed

reconstructed

No Flash Installed

reconstructed 2:

No Flash Installed

reconstructed 3:

No Flash Installed

Last edited by Dj-Legato on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1 star User

Re: New rules Doesn't Kill You (Dua Lipa Vs Kelly Clarkson)

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:56 pm

It's really well done, I prefer the first version, but both are really solid.

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:29 am

It's a good combo. The sources are good quality so mastering is not needed.

The chorus comes in too early (or too late), firstly at 0:41 and then 2:08. IMO The music or the vocal needs to be edited to fix that.

Late in the song, the vocal plays through again regardless of what the music's doing. More editing is needed so verses end when they should, and choruses start when they should.

2 Star User

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks for the great feedback guys, i do appreciate it :1smiley:

G4g wrote:
The chorus comes in too early (or too late), firstly at 0:41 and then 2:08. IMO The music or the vocal needs to be edited to fix that

Hmm. I tried moving it up and down the timeline, but this is what i came up with .. I guess the time signature of the 2 tracks don't add up sadly :1cry:
Rearranging the instrumental would help. I see; but that would take some time (witch i do not have)

Late in the song, the vocal plays through again regardless of what the music's doing. More editing is needed so verses end when they should, and choruses start when they should

Agreed, but not easy to do (for me that is). I tried to fix that in the alternative arrangement, i guess Ive failed ...
How about another collab G4Gorilla ?
I have no time, and you could do this combo flawless :1smiley:
I send you the tracks on Pm just in case :1cheesy:

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Well now I have a tale of woe. I just put together an edit, and then my PC had an episode so I lost it before I could save it.

So, before I embark on that again (if I embark on that again :1wink: ), I'll tell you what I did.

Your first problem is the build-up in the music at 0:41. You've got the chorus playing there, but it's a build up, so it should be the pre-chorus.

You can achieve that by bringing in the vocal at 0:25. (I'm not right up on counting bars sorry.)

So bring the vocal in at 0:25, but then the intro will then be too long. You then need to chop the first section right off the start (I think it's the first 12 bars, but like I said...).

With the vocal starting at 0:25, the chorus will then start at 0:58 after the build up. That chorus section of music after 0:58 then needs to be extended to match the length of the chorus, so 16 bars (I'm pretty sure) needs to be copied and pasted to double it.

Then, at 1:39 (in the original music) the build up needs to be deleted altogether because the vocal hasn't got one, and instead the chorus comes right in.

After that, I get a bit fuzzy on what was needed. I think another section of music had to be removed, and another section of music had to be shortened, and more chorus music needs to be extended.

In any case, editing is not difficult. I had the whole thing finished in 90 minutes or so. The trickiest part with this music was playing with the awful transition between the verse and chorus, which skips a beat and sounds all wrong. If I hadn't spent time making that sound better, the whole exercise would have taken 20 minutes.

Chopping up music and vocals is super easy, using even basic software such as Audacity. You should definitely get onto it. :1wink:

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Hi Legato! Great combo!

Dj-Legato wrote:Hmm. I tried moving it up and down the timeline, but this is what i came up with .. I guess the time signature of the 2 tracks don't add up sadly
I believe the original Clarkson song adds a few beats of silence after “dead wrong…” and Kelly sings “what doesn’t kill you makes you” a cappella to lead into the chorus. So basically you could cut the instrumental at the same spot (around 0:40) and leave a gap while she sings that lead-in line, just like the original OR you could overlap the vocals just a bit (“wrong” would overlap with “what”. Either way, that downbeat that’s around 0:41 should correspond with the word “stronger”. Hope that makes sense. Then at 0:58 Dua pauses for a few beats leading into her chorus, so things line back up.

The second chorus at 1:38 works great because there aren’t those extra beats in the original there.

2:08 and 2:51 are a little trickier…I think Dua has an extra couple of beats of silence in there, over which Kelly’s “what doesn’t kill you makes you” would work really well if you could get it to line up. I think editing out one bar of the instrumental in the pre-chorus would make those work better.

g4gorilla is spot-on with his feedback, though. “New Rules” has a pre-chorus and “What Doesn’t Kill You" does not, but does have a longer chorus. So you could possibly eliminate the pre-chorus and line up the choruses perfectly with each other with some cutting and looping. There is no denying that these songs sound great together, and the way you have them structured can almost work with a bit of tweaking, but there is definitely some looping or cutting necessary to get it to perfection...

2 Star User

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Wow! You guys are good :1smiley:
This is an impressive feedback from both of you, very detailed an spot on!
I thank you both for this recipe for perfection :1cool:

Ive had a new go on it today, and fixing the structure was the key as you pointed out.
I reconstructed the Instrumental, and more or less kept Clarkson as it was.
MG wrote
Either way, that downbeat that’s around 0:41 should correspond with the word “stronger”. Hope that makes sense.

As a Dj, im used to mixing in the first downbeat of a measure, even if there is no kick drum in it.
And in this case there were none, but the rest of the kicks fits spot on the chorus
the words (taller,lonely, fighter and lighter) fits right in.. IMO.
Anyway, this was the best i could do today, there may be some more tweaking to do later on, not sure :1undecided:

I hope im on the right track now, and thanks again for your brilliant constructive feedback G4g and MG :1wink:

Reconstructed

No Flash Installed

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Just tuning for reconstructed, sounds great to me, well done.

Minor nits: I'm such a sucker for verb I wouldn't mind if Kelly was a bit wetter in parts. Also maybe she could use a touch of low-end boost? Her voice sometimes lacks thickness. Perhaps the original instrumental had more low end so they eq-d her down to make her fit.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 pm

Dj-Legato wrote:I hope im on the right track now, and thanks again for your brilliant constructive feedback G4g and MG
Fantastic structure work, Legato! Most of it is perfect to me now! I am very close to recommending this.

Dj-Legato wrote:Anyway, this was the best i could do today, there may be some more tweaking to do later on, not sure
Just a tiny bit!
The last chorus starting at 2:54 is the only thing I can nitpick now. I don’t know what you’ll want to put before it, but the break in the instrumental at 2:56 should probably be where the “What doesn’t kill you makes you…” goes, as it’s that notorious extra couple of beats that throws off the structure throughout this track, and the lead-in to the chorus for both songs. After that point Kelly seems to be out of sync with the chord progression all the way to the end. So I think moving her forward one measure will fix all of that.

Beyond that, warezio’s reverb suggestion isn’t a bad one. It seems like every instrumental made in the last 3-4 years is drenched in reverb, so it’s not a bad idea to dress Kelly up to match her surroundings a bit…

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:52 am

GREAT work DJL! The switch at 1:41 is just fantastic, as is doubling the build-up at 2:31. There are a few things I would have done differently, but I can honestly say my version was in fact much less interesting than yours.

Just fix that bit from 2:54 like MG said. I think the problem starts when the chorus starts at 2:37. :1wink:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>