(FP) Keiko Te Amo(Rihanna Vs Bert H & High N Sick)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP) Keiko Te Amo(Rihanna Vs Bert H & High N Sick)

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Keiko Te Amo(Rihanna Vs Bert H & High N Sick)
Instrumental: Bert H & High N Sick - Keiko | https://soundcloud.com/bert_h/bert-h-hi ... ck-keiko-1
Vocal: Rihanna - Te Amo | https://youtu.be/Oe4Ic7fHWf8

Forgive the slight downtime it's SAD! I know, but trying to get warmed up again with an A + B DnBootie tho'

Liquid DnB and Rihanna emo beats - hope you like it. Lemme know if anything jumps out. Intro's a bit long for some maybe as was going for a DnBootie edit foremost.

It's good to be back y'all and stop getting better whilst I'm away in future :1laugh: gr8 to see new (to me) artists too. Mashstix rules!

No Flash Installed

V.2 | MashGyver Edits, cut corrects & incidental retunes

No Flash Installed

V.3 | Stems 4 main & bg vocal, redo MashGyver edits, slightly adjust mix 4 new vocals - nearly forgot slightly better version the mental too

No Flash Installed

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/4zx3h36guslqtu ... %20III.mp3
Last edited by SgtMash on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Keiko Te Amo(Rihanna Vs Bert H & High N Sick)

Post Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Welcome back, Sarge! We’ve missed you!

So, this is an incredible instrumental, and consequently an incredibly beautiful mashup! And way better than the original Rihanna song!

I do feel like the abrupt vocal transition at 1:27 could use some cleaning up. Like overlapping a reverb or delay from the “it’s over” under the “Then she said”. If you know how to, you might even put a reverse reverb on “Then she said” to smooth that transition up.

There are a few clashes on the second syllable of the word “a-way” at 1:36, 2:32, and 3:27. Hard to tell, because there are backing harmonies there, but pulling that syllable down a semitone ought to beautify that minor blemish.

At 4:42, if you brought just the “Yoooouuuuu” up 1 semitone I can almost guarantee you will get goosebumps when she hits the right note.

Nothing else I could poke holes in here! Sounds great! Don’t take any more breaks, will ya?

2 Star User

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:58 am

MashGyver wrote:So, this is an incredible instrumental,

Gotta love a little Bert H liquid goodness <3

MashGyver wrote:I do feel like the abrupt vocal transition at 1:27 could use some cleaning up. Like overlapping a reverb or delay from the “it’s over” under the “Then she said”. If you know how to, you might even put a reverse reverb on “Then she said” to smooth that transition up.

There'no cut o.O - just Rihanna getting all staccato I think, but I've added a little verb anyway to spread it as I 100% get what you mean.

MashGyver wrote:There are a few clashes on the second syllable of the word “a-way” at 1:36, 2:32, and 3:27. Hard to tell, because there are backing harmonies there, but pulling that syllable down a semitone ought to beautify that minor blemish.

MashGyver wrote:At 4:42, if you brought just the “Yoooouuuuu” up 1 semitone I can almost guarantee you will get goosebumps when she hits the right note.

I was going to say I don't mind the slight incidental tone/sound; until I pulled them down n pushed the last one up :)

Just final checking but a V.2 Up top^^^ very shortly. Thx for the help & support as always <3

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:27 am

SgtMash wrote:Forgive the slight downtime it's SAD!

Life happens. Great to see you back.

This one is great and classic SgtMash. The rhythmic repeat of "Te Amo" melds well with the instrumental and entrances the listener.

I'm still detecting the occassional harmonic clash in V2; if that's a creative decision up to you, but these were particularly noticeable: 1:36, 2:32, 3:27. Unlike other chromatic points, these are sustained at the end of a phrase and/or the instrumental is not merely percussion, and hence they are particularly salient.

2 Star User

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:11 pm

warezio wrote:I'm still detecting the occassional harmonic clash in V2; if that's a creative decision up to you, but these were particularly noticeable: 1:36, 2:32, 3:27. Unlike other chromatic points, these are sustained at the end of a phrase and/or the instrumental is not merely percussion, and hence they are particularly salient.

Hmmm...idk what I've done there. hardly any difference, but I thought I'd pulled those 3 down... might have had a version / export snafu...will look in the AM o.O

Post Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm

SgtMash wrote:Hmmm...idk what I've done there. hardly any difference, but I thought I'd pulled those 3 down... might have had a version / export snafu...will look in the AM o.O
Yeah, I'm listening and those spots don't sound changed. But 4:42 sounds fantastic!

1:24 transition still is a bit rough, but it might be easier said than done to fix that... :1undecided:

2 Star User

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 am

K, so played about all last night, ended up with not a lot to show for the "waaaaay" tunings! (1:36, 2:32, 3:27)

Went to bed and thought I'll try fresh-eared this AM - BUT the problem would appear that if I bring the vocal down to the dominant chord ringing on in the instrumental via clip transpose in Live it sets up a worse dissonance between the embedded harmony in the vocal part than that Vs. the instrumental in the 1st place.

Is there any other trick someone can think of to handle this? or is anyone wanting to take a punt at showing me what I'm doing wrong / how they'd approach it? The mind is willing, but what I'm doing in Live is not improving the situation...

Rendered out the 1st example as separate instrumental & vocals excerpts in case anyone wants to help / laff at me missing the point / show their true godlike abilities I'll take it anyway I can get it :1laugh:

I have to say Live's detail manips on tuning have never super impressed me, but I always assumed it was because I've not got the skills as yet...

May try holding some tuned reverb over from the 1st syllable and reducing the volume of the "waaaaay" as a n attempt at mitigation, but short of that I'm coming up stumped with this particular detail?!

Vocal Snippet: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/r0xwqxfp381lgi ... Vocals.wav
Instrumental Snippet: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/l3dd1szxwrm0kn ... mental.wav

Any help/ suggestions massively appreciated

Post Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Okay, Sarge. I may have some time play with it tonight. The backing vocal harmonies may be the issue, as I originally alluded to. I'll see if I can come up with a fix.

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 am

Okay, so this is my attempt:

No Flash Installed

It’s not perfect, but I think it sounds okay…the hardest thing is the voice in the background singing the “oooh”s. What I did was pull most of the “way” down 1 semitone, and then near the end of it where she bends the note back down I bent it way back up and then some, so the transposition envelope looks like this:

You may also notice I moved the last “said” near the end up 2 semitones. It’s not totally necessary but I thought it sounded awesome, so I kept it in there!

Alternatively, I tried swapping out the chords in that spot with half a bar each of the first and second chords instead of the chord that was there:

No Flash Installed

Now, I think this sounds pretty much perfect harmonically, but I don’t know how you feel about what it does to the progression of the song. And it’s not very easy to explain exactly how I did it.

In the mean time, maybe we’ll hear someone else’s opinion about the clashes...

2 Star User

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:53 am

MashGyver wrote:Okay, so this is my attempt:

No Flash Installed

It’s not perfect, but I think it sounds okay…the hardest thing is the voice in the background singing the “oooh”s. What I did was pull most of the “way” down 1 semitone, and then near the end of it where she bends the note back down I bent it way back up and then some, so the transposition envelope looks like this:

You may also notice I moved the last “said” near the end up 2 semitones. It’s not totally necessary but I thought it sounded awesome, so I kept it in there!

Alternatively, I tried swapping out the chords in that spot with half a bar each of the first and second chords instead of the chord that was there:

No Flash Installed

Now, I think this sounds pretty much perfect harmonically, but I don’t know how you feel about what it does to the progression of the song. And it’s not very easy to explain exactly how I did it.

In the mean time, maybe we’ll hear someone else’s opinion about the clashes...

>> Hmmm well idk that the 1st option stands out any less than the uncorrected particularly, but it's hard to judge when your ears got used to hearing one thing.

The second sure does harmonically, but as you say kinda offs the progression - idk it's a tricky one all round, but I hadn't looked at the instrumental at all, so I'll have a look through that too and also look at if Fx, cuts n shunts on the vocal can offer any other avenues.

I really appreciate all the effort & input - not giving up yet! :1smiley:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>