(FP) Supernatural Highway(Ke$ha Vs LAMF)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
3 Star User

(FP) Supernatural Highway(Ke$ha Vs LAMF)

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Supernatural Highway(Ke$ha Vs LAMF)

Vocal: Ke$ha - Supernatural | https://youtu.be/AJhxwe3Dp1c
Instrumental - LAMF - Neon Highway | https://youtu.be/Hb-EijpVuLI

Well now, borrowing from the Starman playbook a little for this one I guess. Track played in my fave Dubtrack chill room today and I was all a buzz with adding The Zombies - She's Not There to it...1/2hr later and fully realising just how out of tune their bloody harmonies were and unable to adjust one voice without the other I decided to look for an alternative. I'm glad the Zombies didn't pay off to be honest.

Yes I should probably have waited until tomorrow for a final listen through before posting, but if I was Australian I'd say I was too stoked to wait. I just had to share it b4 I headed to bed :1grin:

The video in my head has Ke$ha's blowing bubble gum playing Sega Outrun in the arcade.

V.4b |Full Mix(lowered Bg's)

No Flash Installed

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/p2w15kv6q4dr1j ... Mix%29.mp3

V.5 | The quieter full harmony edit

No Flash Installed

V.6 | Tiny bit less quieter o.O

No Flash Installed

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/n3tpklqnoehk8y ... %20VII.mp3

V.x | The harmonies left edit (B-side Wall of disharmony edit available above)

No Flash Installed

download: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/pihj29oiw8s7qi ... ay%20X.mp3
Last edited by SgtMash on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:29 am, edited 9 times in total.

Re: Supernatural Highway(Ke$ha Vs LAMF)

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Wow :1shocked: it took this mashup to make me realize Ke$ha's autotuned zeitgeist belongs on top on synthwave. She should hire you for her next album.

So these vocals feel too loud to me as well. Is it the style (am I used to a "rock mix")?

SgtMash wrote:I just had to share it b4 I headed to bed

I know that feeling: you can just tell when you have a winner.

3 Star User

Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:58 am

warezio wrote:Wow :1shocked: it took this mashup to make me realize Ke$ha's autotuned zeitgeist belongs on top on synthwave. She should hire you for her next album.

So these vocals feel too loud to me as well. Is it the style (am I used to a "rock mix")?

Yea she sounds made for Synthwave - here's happy accidents \o/ & agree on the volume a little too much much - there's a V.2 going up shortly with a couple of small tweaks in the delays & a mild drop in the vocal volume, then I'll see what others reckon. Thanks for the feedback.

Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:19 am

SgtMash, I am eagerly awaiting a compilation album from you soon. Your mashups have a special place in my soul. This one is no exception. Well done.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

3 Star User

Re: (!) Supernatural Highway(Ke$ha Vs LAMF)

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:55 pm

satis5d wrote:SgtMash, I am eagerly awaiting a compilation album from you soon. Your mashups have a special place in my soul. This one is no exception. Well done.

Aww thanks man. I cannot believe how many I've done over the last 6 month since I started this journey. My SC says almost 50...and 1/2 of them a fairly listenable :1laugh: - I have to say without the help of all you Mashstix peeps I'm certain that even if I hadn't given up I'd definitely still be a looong way off where I've got to with all the help and support here. MASHSTIX ROCKS \o/

Also I updated this the other day and totally forgot to bump it with a reply - much n00b me still...

V.2 Up Top^^ Just mild delay tweaks & brought the vocal down from bleeding ears to right in yer face levels - lemme know if it's enough/too much/too quiet now.

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Sounds really good, Sarge!

Definitely nailed the Star Man sound, but it still feels like a SgtMash track! I really like the chops fading in and out in the intro.

The only thing I didn’t love was that the background vocals are a bit clashy.

If you replaced all of the choruses with the first one, you would probably minimize the clashing. The background vocals are just kind of doing the “oooooh”s during the first one.

OR…I notice that the vocal stems are available. You may be able to just use the lead vocal and cherry-pick some of the background vocals if you like. And the stems might even include those cool Daft Punk-esque vocoder parts in the bridge, which would be a great addition to a Synthwave track like this!

Anyway, I don’t want to get to carried away with my suggestions--it’s your mashup. Others may not mind the background vocals at all. This one definitely belongs on the Front Page, though.

3 Star User

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:36 am

Gosh darnit!!! I keep trying to remember to search for the best sources 1st & I keep forgetting in the "oooh that's gonna be good" moments after finding a nice match...

The ooh's poked my ears to and the vocoded bits I wanted to use/ had in there but in the pella I had were a bit muddy meh against the instrumental and the arrangement got a bit full to my ears, but if I'd had the stems I would 100% sorted the ooh's and looked at using the vocoded fills o.O ... great minds :1grin:

Stems downloading...lemme have a go at refining it b4 FP please xx

3 Star User

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:53 am

\o/ yay for stems re-edit: included the vocoded section, got rid of the backing oooh's, titivated the ping pongs around the changes.

My ears may be fading so please let me know if the levels are off again as I've backed them down to where I think they should be again - a little lower I think than previous as the cleaner stems have popped the vocal up a little more imo...

V.3 Up Top^^

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:32 pm

SgtMash wrote:\o/ yay for stems re-edit: included the vocoded section, got rid of the backing oooh's, titivated the ping pongs around the changes.

My ears may be fading so please let me know if the levels are off again as I've backed them down to where I think they should be again - a little lower I think than previous as the cleaner stems have popped the vocal up a little more imo...

V.3 Up Top^^
Vocoders sound rad. Levels sound good, but what I was saying with my last comment was that I actually felt like the “oooohs” were less clashy than the vocal harmonies, but neither of them really works with this chord progression. Like around 1:41 when the backing harmonies come in, the chorus seems to work less than it does at 0:42 with no backing vocals at all. If the stems weren’t available I was saying to replace all the choruses with the “oooh” chorus, but since it’s an option, I think just removing the backing vocals might be your best bet. (Unless you want to go full tilt and pitch-shift the backing vocals to match the instrumental--something I would probably do for my own mashup, but is a bit labor-intensive.) You might be better off just leaving them out :1undecided:

EDIT: If you are up for the challenge, it’s mostly just the first couple of notes of each line (“touch-ing in…), (“sup-er nat…”), etc. that would work better if they were down a semitone. There may be a few other bits, but I’m not in a position to analyze the whole thing right now. Trust your ears, (or just remove ‘em!)

3 Star User

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Ahhhh!

I see... I will have a go in the AM - if I fail I'll strip em :) ty

>>>re-reading your 1st comment makes me wonder if I have A.D.D... Also makes me wish I'd re added the tracks separately to the project rather than rendering a wav out with one removed... Lazy Mash!

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>