(!)[Exp.]Take On International Players-UGK & Outkast vs A-Ha

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!)[Exp.]Take On International Players-UGK & Outkast vs A-Ha

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Take on Me--A-Ha
vs
International Players Anthem--UGK & Outkast

Updated Mix (7/21/17):

No Flash Installed

Original Mix:

No Flash Installed

Download: https://sowndhaus.com/uploads/tracks/1633101077_1022095644_1226655333.mp3

Been working on some more wedding focused mashups lately and this one was a great combo of an old classic with a new classic. Posting the dirty version, but I can share the clean edit upon request.

Hope you all dig it!

DJ Bigg H
Last edited by djbiggh on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Facebook: [url]facebook.com/thebiggh[/url]

Enjoy!

2 Star User

Re: Take On International Players--UGK & Outkast vs A-Ha

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi there Dj Biggh! I actually listened to that whole thing :1huh:
I myself do a lot of wedding gigs :1smiley: i'm not sure where you at, but if i tried to put something like this on, someone would most likely pull out my speaker chords.. (or worse)
I'm not trying to be a dick here, but this is one of those mentals with a rapper on top! It's too hasty, no time to breath.. and also, this is not an A-ha instrumental, this is a Karaoke version with some backing to it..

The idè is good, and maybe with some structuring and a real istrumental it could work in a wedding?

This is just my opinion, others may like it as is .. :1smiley:

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:51 pm

I can see this working well with the right audience, and I suspect that Bigg H knows his clientele very well at this point.

There are a few timing issues, the worst seems to start just before 3:50 with the acapella, but there are a couple of spots (one late in the song) where the instrumental seems to be off (check the "in a day or two" parts.)
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:07 pm

Good looking out Satis5d. I run a creative DJ company so we get to work with cool clients who eat this kind of thing up!

As for the timing, I know exactly what you were hearing at the end. When the vocal drops in pitch it also lags behind a bit. It's that "chopped and screwed" sound and it's built into the acapella. However, if it's distracting it's worth a tweak. I just synced it to the instrumental timing a little more to hopefully fix that issue. Also nudged another spot in the Andre verse. If you hear other spots that bother you, let me know and I'll take a look at those as well.

Cheers!

DJ Bigg H

Enjoy!

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 am

djbiggh wrote:As for the timing, I know exactly what you were hearing at the end. When the vocal drops in pitch it also lags behind a bit. It's that "chopped and screwed" sound and it's built into the acapella. However, if it's distracting it's worth a tweak. I just synced it to the instrumental timing a little more to hopefully fix that issue. Also nudged another spot in the Andre verse. If you hear other spots that bother you, let me know and I'll take a look at those as well.

Although I'm not a fan of rap in mashups, but it looks like it's working well with this mental :1smiley:
Regarding the chorus, I still think that also in the updated mix version, there are some timing issues :1undecided:

1 star User

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:55 am

I'm the same way...as a general rule I like to avoid rap vocals in mashups. It's so predictable and easy and far less interesting to me in general. However, sometimes it's just the way to go! Especially when you have so many mashup producers out there banging out ideas, a lot of the fun stuff has already been done. And I needed something contemporary to hold a younger crowd since I'm using an instrumental that's 32yrs old!

My assumption is that the Andre verses (the first vocal) are the ones that are getting flagged for timing. He raps with no beat in the original and it's basically like a sermon. I know it's too much to ask for a minute by minute breakdown, but give me a ballpark of where the timing is bothering you so I can revisit it. I've listened to this so many times that it's hard to tell if something is off now, I need fresh ears.

Thanks for the feedback!

Enjoy!

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:34 pm

djbiggh wrote:My assumption is that the Andre verses (the first vocal) are the ones that are getting flagged for timing. He raps with no beat in the original and it's basically like a sermon. I know it's too much to ask for a minute by minute breakdown, but give me a ballpark of where the timing is bothering you so I can revisit it. I've listened to this so many times that it's hard to tell if something is off now, I need fresh ears.

I'm talking about the chorus @1:44 - 2:07 and again @3:53 - 4:30, are you using there the original song on top of a remix instrumental? it sounds strange, like you have a drum echo :1undecided:

1 star User

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 pm

SMASH wrote:I'm talking about the chorus @1:44 - 2:07 and again @3:53 - 4:30, are you using there the original song on top of a remix instrumental? it sounds strange, like you have a drum echo :1undecided:

Ah! I know exactly what you are hearing there. So, the instrumental I used has a background vocal at the chorus, but not the full vocal (just "take on me") So, I added the original A-Ha acapella over it at the two chorus points. Upon further inspection at your behest, I noticed that they were not perfectly in sync. I completely missed that! Exactly why I need the superhuman ears on this board.

Check the updated track when you can and see if this fixed it.

Enjoy!

Post Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:09 am

Although this is definitely much to "dirty" for my personal tastes. The timing issues seem to be resolved now, and I see no reason not to recommend it.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:53 am

satis5d wrote:Although this is definitely much to "dirty" for my personal tastes. The timing issues seem to be resolved now, and I see no reason not to recommend it.

Thanks Satis5d! The dirty version is a total sing-a-long in the club, but it's unlikely I could get away with it at a wedding. So I have a clean edit here if anyone is interested... https://www.dropbox.com/s/slco3yf10s27eth/Take%20on%20the%20International%20Players%20%28clean%29--UGK%20%26%20Outkast%20vs%20A-Ha--DJ%20Bigg%20H.mp3?dl=0

Thanks for the love!

DJ Bigg H

Enjoy!

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>