(FP) Grande In The Jungle (Ariana Grande vs. Guns N Roses)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP) Grande In The Jungle (Ariana Grande vs. Guns N Roses)

Post Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Warezio - Grande In The Jungle (Ariana Grande vs. Guns N Roses)

Ariana Grande - Greedy (Acapella)
Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea - Problem (Acapella)
Ariana Grande ft. Future - Everyday (Acapella)
Chamaleon Street - Victim (Vocal sample; hat tip to Mos Def)
Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle (GH3 rip + manual labor)

Guns N Roses, I just can't quit you!

Harmonically things are ok. My main issues are 1) the chorus is very busy so hard to insert new stuff and 2) it is difficult to get the vocals to sit right. The original mix is balanced on the head of a pin: somehow Axl is both very quiet and clearly audible.

Version 5: (replace clip @ 3:51)

No Flash Installed

Version 4: ("mimic Axl" @ 3:51; subtle GH3 eq adjust; some vocal level adjusts)

No Flash Installed

Version 3: (DIY drum track; @3:51 pitch bend)

No Flash Installed

Version 2: (problem vocal trim)

No Flash Installed

Version 1: (vocal eq/compression/limiter/gain)

No Flash Installed

Version 0:

No Flash Installed

Version 5 download link
Last edited by Warezio on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Re: Grande In The Jungle (Ariana Grande vs. Guns N Roses)

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:28 pm

COOL!! Very ambition production, overall I enjoy it :1rolleyes:
One suggestion though, I think Ariana's vocals needs special EQ adjustment, just try play with the mid range freq., I say lower 386Hz by -5dB (like a spike down), place a limiter on her vocals, and give her more power with the gain option by 1dB or so, if you're not close to the edge of course :1wink:
You may do it to all of Ariana's sources, but it depends of how it will be sound.

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:45 pm

SMASH wrote:COOL!! Very ambition production, overall I enjoy it :1rolleyes:

I think of this track like a Disneyland theme park ride: "The Adventures of Ariana Grande in the Jungle!". It's very busy, loaded with high torque transitions, and has a somewhat dark tone; reminiscent of Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

SMASH wrote:One suggestion though, I think Ariana's vocals needs special EQ adjustment, just try play with the mid range freq., I say lower 386Hz by -5dB (like a spike down), place a limiter on her vocals, and give her more power with the gain option by 1dB or so, if you're not close to the edge of course :1wink:
You may do it to all of Ariana's sources, but it depends of how it will be sound.

well i'm not sure how you know this stuff, but sure enough listening to Axl again in the original he's really soft in the "nose and throat" frequencies, maybe they cut them to have him sit in the pocket, or maybe he just sang that way.

so (except for adlibs) i eq-d the vocals, then hit the acapella mix with a compressor and limiter, and then dialed the gain. there's headroom for Ariana to get louder, but i held back a little because i wanted to match Axl.

2 Star User

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:45 pm

You're almost there with the eq of Ariana's voice, but I think it's very much acceptable as it is now, only issue I have is that the Problem acapella sounds a little bit OOT, the whisperings sounds cool tho, but the singing part not that much imho.

I loved how you used the powerful Ariana's parts in the transitions, that was awesome!
ImageImageImageImage

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:02 pm

rrodd wrote:You're almost there with the eq of Ariana's voice, but I think it's very much acceptable as it is now, only issue I have is that the Problem acapella sounds a little bit OOT, the whisperings sounds cool tho, but the singing part not that much imho.

Yeah. Originally I was hoping that I could get Ariana to break up with Axl in the 3rd chorus, since he has been the worst kind of abusive boyfriend in the song, but I couldn't find the right lyrics; and then I liked the sound of the problem bits so I kept them in.

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:13 am

Trippy combo. :1grin: "The But in this state of mind" syncopation is cool.

I highly recommend cutting the Ariana vocals at 3:26, 3:34 and 3:51. You are out of key there.

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:24 pm

(Version 2 posted)

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Trippy combo. :1grin: "The But in this state of mind" syncopation is cool.

I highly recommend cutting the Ariana vocals at 3:26, 3:34 and 3:51. You are out of key there.

I nuked the vocals at 3:26 and 3:34, as also suggested by @rrodd, and that worked well. I kept the vocals at 3:51 even though they are a bit (major/minor ?) clashy because it's only time Ariana comes remotely close to sticking up for herself. :1smiley:

Re: (!) Grande In The Jungle (Ariana Grande vs. Guns N Roses)

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:40 pm

This is a cool collection of Grande tracks, ambitiously mashed with another challenging G n’ R track (I’d given up on G n’ R myself, but you’re making me consider retrying!) Highlights for me were the “state of mind” parts and the whispers--both really make this one special. Harmonically it’s not perfect, but it ain’t bad at all.

From a production standpoint, the transition in the drums was pretty obvious. The cover drum track sounds good by itself, but it sounds so much different than the original. If it were my mashup, I would probably go through the tedium of dissecting the original drum track (the one that’s full of Axl), sampling individual kicks, hats, and snares, and that glorious cowbell if possible, and trying to re-create what’s missing instead of transitioning back and forth. The verses should be pretty easy…it’s essentially the same as the intro riff (with the hats closed, but that’s a detail worth ignoring). This process may kill you or make you stronger, or you may choose to ignore me altogether :1cry:

Either way, it’s a lot of fun!

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:08 am

MashGyver wrote:From a production standpoint, the transition in the drums was pretty obvious. The cover drum track sounds good by itself, but it sounds so much different than the original. If it were my mashup, I would probably go through the tedium of dissecting the original drum track (the one that’s full of Axl), sampling individual kicks, hats, and snares, and that glorious cowbell if possible, and trying to re-create what’s missing instead of transitioning back and forth. The verses should be pretty easy…it’s essentially the same as the intro riff (with the hats closed, but that’s a detail worth ignoring). This process may kill you or make you stronger, or you may choose to ignore me altogether :1cry:

Either way, it’s a lot of fun!

Version 2 sounds good and I'm very close to recommend, I just want to give you the option to comment on MashGyver's feedback, it might improve your track :1wink:

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 am

MashGyver wrote:If it were my mashup, I would probably go through the tedium of dissecting the original drum track (the one that’s full of Axl), sampling individual kicks, hats, and snares, and that glorious cowbell if possible, and trying to re-create what’s missing instead of transitioning back and forth.

SMASH wrote:Version 2 sounds good and I'm very close to recommend, I just want to give you the option to comment on MashGyver's feedback, it might improve your track :1wink:

Mashups are evergreen artifacts, so I'll invest some time in this and report back on the results.

MashGyver wrote:(I’d given up on G n’ R myself, but you’re making me consider retrying!)

I also swore them off but, just like Ariana, I can't keep away. I'd really like to see the MashGyver treatment of GnR. "Wildest Dreams o' Mine" was a harmonic mess but still got a lot of plays, downloads, Reddit upvotes, etc. which tells me there is an unmet appetite for this kind of destruction out there.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>