(FP)Rather Be in the Power of Love (H.Lewis vs Clean Bandit)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP)Rather Be in the Power of Love (H.Lewis vs Clean Bandit)

Post Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:48 pm

DAW-GUN - Rather Be in the Power of Love (Huey Lewis v Clean Bandit)

Vocals:
Huey Lewis - Power of Love
Clean Bandit - Rather Be

Music:
Clean Bandit - Rather Be

I had been looking for a good matching track for Clean Bandit for a long time when I heard Power of Love on the radio and realized it 'just might work....' As always, feedback requested.

Version 3.2:

No Flash Installed

Version 3.1:

No Flash Installed

Version 2.5:

No Flash Installed

Version 1.1

No Flash Installed

Last edited by DAW-GUN on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: DAW-GUN - Rather Be in the Power of Love (Huey Lewis v Clean

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:05 am

Good to hear another from you, DAW-GUN! As you may or may not know I am big music theory and composition nerd, so I really dig all mashups with interesting and unexpected harmony. This one is no exception--the chorus, especially the resolution to “but it might just save your life" is dynamite!

The only problem harmonically (I’m also notoriously nitpicky about this stuff) is the verses. I’ll wait for a second opinion because it may just be me that has a hard time with them. The choruses and bridge of “Power Of Love” are in C major, which is why they sound great, but the verses are in C minor, which causes some pretty rough-around-the-edges moments. They resolve nicely at the end of each line, but take a while to gel. Rather than move the verses down an additional 3 semitones to put them in the right key, it might be easier just to change a few individual pitches. I can give you some specifics if you decide to go that route.

From a technical standpoint this sounds great--the delays on the vocals are a nice touch, and the placement of the vocals works great and creates some cool interplay with the “Rather Be” vocals! Huey could use a little more volume at a few points, especially when the Clean Bandit vocals come in, he tends to get buried there.

But like I said, I’m interested to hear what others say about the harmony.

2 Star User

Post Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks for those solid tips Mashgyver. I'll start playing with those individual syllables to get Huey snapped into Major.

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:22 am

DAW-GUN wrote:I'll start playing with those individual syllables to get Huey snapped into Major.
I wouldn’t worry about the second half of each phrase, just the first. For example, in the first line, “The power of love…is a curious thing,” the “is a curious thing” phrase sounds fine in its minor tonality, because of the chord progression. But “The power of love” part is where the adjustment is necessary. You may be able to bring all those words down a semitone to bring it in key, but I don’t know how strange that’ll sound. For the most part, just bringing some D notes down to Db should do the trick. Best of luck!

2 Star User

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:59 am

MashGyver wrote:For the most part, just bringing some D notes down to Db should do the trick. Best of luck!

Okay version 2.5 is up!
Changes:
  • Ran the pella through Melodyne to snap it all to C Major (I know it's a cheat, but it didn't mess up the vocal this time).
  • Squashed the first plosive.
  • Adjusted levels throughout.
  • Moved over the Power of Love phrases in the first chorus.
  • Adjusted a timing issue near the end.
I think it's either done or close.
More notes?
Version 2.5:

No Flash Installed

Top post:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23335

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:07 pm

MashGyver wrote:The only problem harmonically (I’m also notoriously nitpicky about this stuff) is the verses. I’ll wait for a second opinion because it may just be me that has a hard time with them. The choruses and bridge of “Power Of Love” are in C major, which is why they sound great, but the verses are in C minor, which causes some pretty rough-around-the-edges moments.

Here's your second opinion: exactly. :1grin:
Former Deputy Commissioner, Mashstix Harmony Police
Facebook

2 Star User

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Sherlock Poirot wrote:Here's your second opinion: exactly. :1grin:

Hiya, Sherlock, thanks for checking out the track. Are you hearing the issue in v2.5? There shouldn't be any minor notes in that one.

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:26 pm

DAW-GUN wrote:Are you hearing the issue in v2.5? There shouldn't be any minor notes in that one.

In Huey's voice, right? There are still plenty of minor notes in his verses. You'd probably have to spot correct each minor note in order to make this pella fit. (Sounds like MG has already suggested that.)

To be brutally honest, if it were me, I'd pick another pella.
Former Deputy Commissioner, Mashstix Harmony Police
Facebook

2 Star User

Post Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Sherlock Poirot wrote:In Huey's voice, right? There are still plenty of minor notes in his verses.

Really? I'm surprised. I saw all the notes snap in Melodyne. But you are the detective of keys, so I'm sure you're right.

Sherlock Poirot wrote:To be brutally honest, if it were me, I'd pick another pella.

I don't do mix-and-match with tracks - I get an idea for a pairing and give it a shot. I'll go ahead and call this a B-Side and move on to the next mash.
Thanks for taking the time to analyze my meager attempt. :1tongue:

Post Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:03 am

Hey, I knew Sherlock would eventually remember his login and password! :1tongue: Glad you could drop by, we’ve missed you!

As awesome as Melodyne is, you ran into a few of its limitations with this one. Huey bends his notes all over the place here, so while it does its level best, Melodyne just won’t be able to pick up individual pitches here so well. Also, Huey’s voice is so raspy, it further throws off Melodyne's pitch detection. It’s unfortunate, because that chorus is just awesome.

I tried a few things with it myself, and honestly what sounded the best was to bring the instrumental up 2 semitones, and bring Huey down 2 during the verses and up 1 during the chorus sections. I don’t know if you want to go that far, or just leave it as is and call it a “B-side” as you alluded to.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>