jimmylin - Is This Side To Side Love (Marley vs Grande)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

jimmylin - Is This Side To Side Love (Marley vs Grande)

Post Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:44 pm

jimmylin mashups - Is This Side To Side Love (Bob Marley vs Ariana Grande)

No Flash Installed

Ariana Grande - Side To Side Instrumental
Bob Marley - Is This Love Acapella
Ariana Grande - Side To Side Acapella

Sorry all my thumbnails look the same. I'll try and get a little more creative with them!

Re: jimmylin - Is This Side To Side Love (Marley vs Grande)

Post Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Jimmy, I'm loving the match and the creativity you display on this mashup. The drop at 1:01 is splendid! :1cool:

Unfortunately, Marley's acapella track is killing this one. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but it sounds to me like Bob is panned completely in the center and may be mono. I would suggest giving him plenty of stereo width and a generous helping of reverb as well, since his "dry" vocals don't match the instrumental, and definitely not Ariana's vocals very well.

I don't think this is far from being front-page worthy, but it's definitely gonna need a "version 2" in my humble opinion. Are you up to it?
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:16 pm

Very smooth!
However, the cutting-out of the audio around 2:40-3:00 is very jarring. If it's censoring the acapella, you could try replacing it with another word from the same 'pella. :)

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:02 pm

satis5d wrote:Unfortunately, Marley's acapella track is killing this one. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but it sounds to me like Bob is panned completely in the center and may be mono. I would suggest giving him plenty of stereo width and a generous helping of reverb as well, since his "dry" vocals don't match the instrumental, and definitely not Ariana's vocals very well.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll mess around with the vocals some more. There's actually four to work with (Marley's vocals and three backing tracks), so I'll mess around with it some more and hopefully can come up with something that blends a little better!

Drazile wrote:Very smooth!
However, the cutting-out of the audio around 2:40-3:00 is very jarring. If it's censoring the acapella, you could try replacing it with another word from the same 'pella. :)

Yeah, it is slightly jarring upon first listen. The "breaks" are actually in the instrumental itself, and instead of looping a different part of the instrumental and inserting it here, I decided to just roll with what was there and tried to incorporate the acapella accordingly.

Thanks for the comments though! I'm fairly new to the game, so just trying to figure the craft out.

Post Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Personally, I thought the "gaps" were well done. I didn't find them jarring at all. Not even on the first listen.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:30 am

What gets me in this one that would stop me from front paging it are the three part harmonies (almost always lethal to mashups).

While you can use different keys that match well between sources, even if they're not the same key, when you have 3 singers doing a harmony part at once, they are basically now making a chord that you will have to match exactly for it to sound right.

And there's no adjusting one singer or the others in this situation, because they're all already recorded together.

A tough spot.
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Post Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:17 am

YITT wrote:What gets me in this one that would stop me from front paging it are the three part harmonies (almost always lethal to mashups).

While you can use different keys that match well between sources, even if they're not the same key, when you have 3 singers doing a harmony part at once, they are basically now making a chord that you will have to match exactly for it to sound right.

And there's no adjusting one singer or the others in this situation, because they're all already recorded together.

A tough spot.

I agree with this.

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:48 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:
YITT wrote:What gets me in this one that would stop me from front paging it are the three part harmonies (almost always lethal to mashups).

A tough spot.

I agree with this.

Actually, I think I can work on this! The vocal track that I have for the Bob Marley acapella is actually split into four tracks (one for Marley and three others for the backup singers). I actually have a version with the three backup tracks muted out, but it sounds super bare. I will mess around with this some more though, thanks!

1 star User

Post Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:53 am

Yeah this could work - great paring. Just needs some tweaking as per the comments already posted. I think the pella timing needs tightening here and there too. Gor for it mate, you've got a rough diamond here :1cool:

Post Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:58 pm

If you can, try to address the nasalness of Bob Marley as well. This can be done by adding a little high end shelf as well as notching the nasal quality down a few db. Somewhere around 700Hz or 600 Hz is my guess.

Don't forget to comment on other Mashstixers submissions! :1wink:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>