(FP) DJ Second Chance - Holy Tribute (Dio vs Tenacious D)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP) DJ Second Chance - Holy Tribute (Dio vs Tenacious D)

Post Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:43 pm

DJ Second Chance - Holy Tribute (Dio vs Tenacious D)
(Working Title, might become "Tenacious Dio")

Dio - Holy Diver
Tenacious D - Tribute

I'm still fiddling with the transitions between the vocaled and instrumental "Tribute"s, but I think it's ready to show off and get good feedback. More polished version incoming.

V1

No Flash Installed

V3

No Flash Installed

FINAL

No Flash Installed

FINAL V2

No Flash Installed

Last edited by DJ SecondChance on Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

Re: DJ Second Chance - Holy Tribute (Dio vs Tenacious D)

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:45 am

I'm buying into this one. Sounds great. I look forward to the "front-page-ready" version. :1grin:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 am

Killer combo! I think I like "Tenacious Dio" better as a title. I really like the structure and architecture of this mashup, and the obvious link between the artists. Looking forward to the next, more polished version.

I have to think your source material is causing you some problems, however. The instrumental version of "Tribute" sounds to be of lesser quality than the original track, most noticeably it is a narrower, almost mono-sounding mix, while the original sounds very wide and of much better quality. I've heard "Tribute" mashups before, so I have to think you could get your hands on a better version of the instrumental, which would make the transitions much more believable.

Also, the Dio acapella sounds pretty noisy. And I only bring it up because I know a better one is available. You can also maybe boost some mid and low frequencies to get it to blend better with the instrumental, but it may not be necessary if you get a better version of the acapella.

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:05 pm

We are missing here some good heavy metal tracks, and I'm glad you share it with us :1rolleyes:
This is a great combo and I believe it could be so much better if you get your hands on more quality sources as MashGyver mentioned. I hope you can find such, it has a very good potential to reached our FP :1wink:

1 star User

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 pm

I think you guys were on to something. I just uploaded V2, with new and improved acapellas/instrumentals for Tribute, and it's much nicer. Unless anyone has any more suggestions, this might just be the final version.

Post Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:00 pm

The sources are mono which sucks dude but the idea is fantastic. :1smiley: If you can fix the mono source issue with your instrumental this would 100 times more amazing than it already is.

Re: (!) DJ Second Chance - Holy Tribute (Dio vs Tenacious D)

Post Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:14 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:The sources are mono which sucks dude but the idea is fantastic.
Yes, they both sound very narrow/mono now. In the first version, at least one of them was in stereo... :1huh:

I really like this one, so I will see if I can find you some better source material myself.

1 star User

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:30 am

Well, I already have a stereo version of things in .mogg format, but when I pull out what I want, it downmixes it to mono. Do you know how to get Audacity to keep things in stereo when exporting, or is there another program that I should use to make my tracks?

1 star User

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:33 am

> Well, I already have a stereo version of things in .mogg format, but when I pull out what I want, it downmixes it to mono.

Are the stems actually in stereo or are there two copies of each in mono (intended to be the panned hard left and panned hard right versions)? With two copies of each I usually pan hard left and hard right then export each combined stem. Did you do this before exporting and only "Export Selection" the stem(s) you selected?

N.B. If you leave all stems in center the overall track will probably clip if there are two copies of mono stems throughout.

Post Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:24 am

mixmstrstel is right. The .mogg file is a rip from a Rock Band game, and the file format is generally:

Kick Drum (mono)
Drums 1 Left
Drums 1 Right
Drums 2 Left
Drums 2 Right
Bass (mono)
Guitar Left
Guitar Right
Extra Instruments Left
Extra Instruments Right
Vocals Left
Vocals Right
Crowd Left
Crowd Right

You can either pan them hard left and right as mixmstrstel was saying, or you can click on "Make Stereo Track" on a Left track, which will grab the track below it and lump the two into a stereo track.
Either way, once you Export, it should turn out nice and stereo-y!

Also, check your Private Messages, Second Chance. I sent you a better Dio acapella.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>