Mashstix Now A Search Engine

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
Site Admin

Mashstix Now A Search Engine

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:32 am

Hello folks..

I've been reworking the frontpage for a few weeks....

I've decided after some feedback from regular visitors (not mashup producers) to turn mashstix into a search engine....

There's a few things that need updating to the new API so please bare with me..... the old FP had some slow loading times as well as it kind of favored the djs and not the end users.

Questions, comments, feedback greatly appreciated!

- Paul Stix

2 Star User

Re: Mashstix Now A Search Engine

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:05 am

Hey Paul, well it certainly looks different (and might take a little time to get used to), but the live search definately works for me. So, does that mean you've done away with the review process all together? ...and I assume Mods can still recommend a track to be FP'd by adding a [!] to the forum? One final query - would it be possible to still have the streaming button on all FP'd mashes? - that was a function I particularly liked and would suggest a number of visitors would prefer to preview / listen / stream a track before downloading... Cheers, M.

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:13 am

Flashard wrote:Hey Paul, well it certainly looks different (and might take a little time to get used to), but the live search definately works for me. So, does that mean you've done away with the review process all together? ...and I assume Mods can still recommend a track to be FP'd by adding a [!] to the forum? One final query - would it be possible to still have the streaming button on all FP'd mashes? - that was a function I particularly liked and would suggest a number of visitors would prefer to preview / listen / stream a track before downloading... Cheers, M.

Thanks for the feedback Flash.... I'll try to answer your questions.....

review process is the heart of the site so that will never go away.... Reviewers can check the 'review que' ...... its the second button over on the very top of the page.....

Nothing changes as far as what gets frontpaged.... the whole point of mashstix is to showcase the best of the best in our little scene... and I think it puts us at a notch above all the other mashup sites/blogs as they seem to post without quality control.

Streaming button and all the goodies are still there....... just click the 'grab it' button next to a track and it should pop up the whole deal..... preview/download/rating/review...

Thank you for testing the engine out......... please let me know if you see something screwy.

- Paul Stix

2 Star User

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:28 pm

I don't know if it is a problem at my end but I keep getting an error message: "Stack overflow at line 12" I have no clue wtf that means!

Also, I can't seem to find myself through a search :o :cry:
Fine Canadian Purveyor of All Things Funky
Number One Soul Brother In Charge

1 star User

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Nosbic wrote: "Stack overflow at line 12"

yikes. you should probably see a doctor about that.

yeah it looks like there still are some wrinkles to iron out but i really like this new system.

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Nos... are you by any chance running a pop up blocker..... those things usually mess with website backends as default.

Looks like firefox is 100%

and Chrome and Safari now appear to also be working 100%

anyone with IE.... please let me know if everything looks kosher

2 Star User

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:10 pm

hmmm, I allowed pop-ups but now it is telling me "Out Of Memory at line:19"...but only when I search myself...anything else seems to work ok.

BTW, I'm using IE7

All Star User

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:34 pm

pop up blocker and IE 8 it says stack overflow something or other, although i'm not totally sure what i'm supposed to be searching for??

can i just say that the review bit is now so confusing for peeps who have only just come to the site for the first time that they wont actually end up reading the reviews unless they accidently click on the artists name, it says nothing about reviews on it now. they will probably just click grab it, if they even click anything?

its very easy to make the mistake on page designs, when you use it all the time, that its easy to navigate, but for someone coming here for the first time the first thing they will see is the latest post bit on the left and go straight to the forums. there is nothing there now to tell anyone that tracks are being reviewed, and yes it does have a review view link on the top of the page, but as the very top of any web site is probably the last bit you see, they wont notice that either. i say this as someone who hardly ever goes to the frontpage, my link brings me straight to the forums, so i tend to notice the frontpage more than regulars here who may go there everytime. the one thing that does stand out now is that the FP looks just like every other mashup site, no visable reviews, nothing leaping out at you saying "yeah! mashups your gonna like this"

dont want to be downer or anything cos i know you put a load of work into mashstix, but too much tinkering is not always a good thing

2 Star User

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:50 pm

I think I've got to agree with boris...surely there is room for both reviews and search engine on the FP?

3 Star User

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:03 pm

I think the main thing that jumps out to me is the lack of a visible "play" button. You wouldn't know it was a music website.

Just my thoughts. I'm sure we'll all get used to it, but agree with Boris about new visitors might not?

Next

Return to Stix chat