[FP] Michael Jackson vs. Mike Posner - The Way You Make Me F

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

[FP] Michael Jackson vs. Mike Posner - The Way You Make Me F

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:51 pm

B.B. Bling

The Way You Make Me Feel Cooler Than Me

Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel" (acapella & instrumental) & Mike Posner's "Cooler Than Me" (acapella & instrumental). I did everything in Pro Tools keeping the tempo of "Cooler Than Me" and tuning it down by 113 cents. I sped up "The Way You Make Me Feel" as well as did extensive retuning of this Michael's vocals in order to get them to match the new chord progression.

No Flash Installed

phpBB [media]

B.B. Bling
Last edited by chadwildclay on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Star User

Re: B.B. Bling - The Way You Make Me Feel Cooler Than Me (Michae

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Hi & welcome to Mashstix.

Hmmm .... this one caught me a bit off guard. I like Mike Posners voice, but I find it a really difficult one to work out musically. I can't decide if your pitching has worked or not (keywise) so I'll leave that to the others ha.

I did really like the structure of the mash. It works (for me at least very well).

I almost frontpaged this, which is reserved only for excellent examples of peoples work. You would get a review and be open to public vote. But .... there is something about MP's first verse and the pitched chorus thats stopping me.

Lets see what the others think.

But welcome to Mashstix, please commenton other peoples work here - we are all about sharing each others knowledge. ;)

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Don't worry Dylan, we all get caught out every now and then..
I really really like this, there's a couple of bum notes by MJ but thats seems to be one of his traits..(God rest his soul)...
Played it twice now..love it! Dyl if you wanna frontpage it, I'll gladly second that motion :)
lloyd

No Flash Installed

1 star User

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Nice one!

Ohh, boy, those two sources fit very well regarding most aspects! I'm a big MJ-fan and it's always cool to hear new "interpretations". Also well arranged, I can definitely see people loving this one.

However - I have to agree with Dylan and say that I'm not sure about the keys. The weird thing is that I find the intro definitely OOK (out of key) and yet, later on in the song it seems better! I can't figure out why. Actually, I would not be surprised if the intro got better if you pitched the MJ instrumental down with one semitone but it would probably cause other problems. Just an idea. On the other hand - sometimes we have different perceptions of keys and melodies so I can only speak for myself - maybe it makes more sense to others.

Anyway - thanks for an interesting and well executed mashup. It seems the mashup community keeps MJ's music more alive than ever before!

1 star User

Re: Michael Jackson vs. Mike Posner - The Way You Make Me Feel C

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:22 pm

Thanks for all the great comments everybody! And for the constructive criticism which I always love to hear. I went through the song again with a fine-tooth-comb after reading your feedback. You all had me freaked me out for a moment there thinking I forgot to retune that intro part of either Posner's vocals or MJ's drum intro but everything appears to be good. The only melodic content on the intro (besides that really low E note on each kick drum of MJ's track) is actually Posner's melodic content along with his vocal so there aren't any new melodic conflicts (that weren't in the original track anyway, hehe).

@LateNightBeat - I have now double checked where MJ's drum track comes back in later in the song and it is a duplicate from what I did on the intro. Interesting how our ears can play tricks on us! I did give your idea of MJ's intro down one half step (to D#) a try. It actually worked out pretty well with Posner's melody although it didn't transition into Posner's instrumental well since the tonal center of that song is E. So I kept MJ's track with a tonal center of E as well (instead of D#).

After all my retuning, the song is now in the Key of B with a tonal center of E. The chord progression is:
EMaj, D#min, G#min (IV, iii, vi) repeat 3 times and then
EMaj, F#Maj (IV, V)

I checked through MJ's vocal again and turned on auto-tune to make sure I didn't miss tuning any notes. Everything checked out OK (he's singing in the key of B) with the exception of the occasional A natural which I found acceptable since flat 7's are very common in pop music. I did not keep auto-tune on MJ's voice though. I just couldn't do that to Michael!

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and I will go give my feedback to other's posts. I look forward to hearing new comments. I did change the title of this post since the (Michael Jackson vs. Mike Posner) was getting cut off. I would be flattered if this was put on the front page! Thanks for considering that Dylan and thank you for seconding the motion lloyd!

B.B. Bling

1 star User

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:33 pm

This is pretty awesome. I'm not sure if I have any problems with the pitching. I think sometimes ( and this may or may not be the case here, i'm really not sure) that we get so used to hearing a chord harmony/melody pairing that when the chords get switched up or something it sounds wrong just because we havent heard it that way. We have all heard these 2 songs a lot and they are in our minds as they were recorded so when its different it might sound wrong. Im not sure if thats whats going on here buts its just a thought ive been having recently. I hear a lot of mashes and off the bat think "this is out of key" but after a second look realize its fine.

All Star User

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:46 pm

WOW ..... you certainly know your apples ;)

After that I had to do a bit of research on you :lol:.

"Midriff is a complete D.I.Y. band doing everything themselves including their own recording, mixing, artwork, website design, etc… Recording of the album “Merchants of Cool” began in 2001 at Hennepin Technical College in Eden Prairie, MN where Chad and Johnnie were going to school for audio recording. All of the drums and most of the bass were tracked there but the recordings were forgot about only to be rediscovered in late 2008. The rest of the tracks were recorded and the entire album was mixed and mastered in their bedroom completely “in the box” in a home Pro Tools rig on Mac G4."

Very cool stuff !! I think its his voice. I just can't get my head around it (musically).

So, I'm going to do something I've only ever done once before and Frontpage a track by someone on his first post to Mashstix.

Well done. With your knowledge and originality - your going to fit in around here !

(The (!) at the start of this thread title shows Paul Stix who owns this site that you should be frontpaged).

1 star User

Re: (!)Michael Jackson vs. Mike Posner - The Way You Make Me Fee

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:11 am

Congrats to the FP!

Really impressive motivation! I stand corrected!

I actually am very interested in analyzing harmonics and when I'm not sure, then I play along. I found that the MJ bass synth played E D E F#-notes and since Posner sings B, D# and C#-notes I jumped the conclusion that it must be OOK, although I must admit that it didn't sound all wrong, just maybe very different. Sorry for that. You definitely know what you're talking about and I think this is a good case of why this term OOK is a little tricky. In one perspective, nothing is really OOK, it's just more "Jazzy". I've heard a lot of jazz versions of songs when they really turn the melodies upside down by having new chord progressions behind it.

The only thing I just can't stand is what we in sweden call "Grismoll" (Pig Minor) which is both a mayor and a minor third at the same time. And yet there are official remixes and even songs released which have that in them! If you want to hear an example check out "Night Facilities - Ring of fire", which I've played a lot despite the weird key clash. :) Anyway - your mash doesn't have any "grismoll" and it sure sounds better and better with every listen! Good work!

1 star User

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:49 am

Awesome! Thanks Dylan, I'm excited to see it on the first page! Ha, you found my Ska Punk band Midriff!

I think WildGinger is right on with saying we get used to hearing a certain melody over a certain chord progression and when either of those elements are changes it can sound off. Which leads right into LateNightBeat's comments about "Jazzy". I have to admit some of the REALLY "Jazzy" stuff is way too dissonant for me. I tend to try to keep things more consonant.

Impressive analyzing of the songs there LateNightBeat! Great ears! You must be a composer or at least have done quite of a lot of learning by ear. I haven't heard of Pig Minor before. Is it kind of like Melodic Minor but instead of the 7th it's the 3rd?

1 star User

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:24 pm

Hehe, grismoll (pig minor) is for example when a piano plays a C-minor chord and somebody sings an E-note at the same time. Try it! For the record - this is just an expression and I'm not sure it can be found in any music theory books, so don't expect anyone to understand you when using it. :)

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>