Mashoff #36 - Progressive Rock: DJ Firth wins!!!!

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Vote For Your Favourite Mash

Poll ended at Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:21 pm

A. Das Miles Model - (Kraftwerk vs. Madonna)
13%
B. Hung Black Magic Pipeline (Alan Parsons Project vs Madonna vs Carlos Santana)
17%
C. I Dreamed A Dream of Freedom (Vangelis vs. Lea Michele vs. Irena Menzel vs. Martin Luther King Jr.)
No votes
D. Get Lucky Big Time (Peter Gabriel vs. Daft Punk)
No votes
E. So Sick Of Parabolas (Tool vs. Ne-Yo - So Sick)
8%
F. Big Pressure Thumping Everybody (F. Mercury, D. Bowie, Chumbawamba, Tears For Fears & B. Rexha vs. Muse)
13%
G. Don't Stop Loving Yourself (Justin Bieber vs. Journey)
21%
H. Stand By Your Lonely Heart (Rachel Platten vs. Yes)
17%
I. Die for Mashups (Rush vs. Manowar)
13%

Total votes : 24

Mashoff #36 - Progressive Rock: DJ Firth wins!!!!

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:11 pm

Nice work everyone. We have 9 entries for Prog rock Mash-off #36!

Please listen to each mix and vote for 2 of your favourite mashups. Remember Mashstixers...you don't need to be a DJ to vote.

Goodluck!!

A. Das Miles Model - (Kraftwerk vs. Madonna)

No Flash Installed

B. Hung Black Magic Pipeline (Alan Parsons Project vs Madonna vs Carlos Santana)

No Flash Installed

C. I Dreamed A Dream of Freedom (Vangelis vs. Lea Michele vs. Irena Menzel vs. Martin Luther King Jr.)

No Flash Installed

D. Get Lucky Big Time (Peter Gabriel vs. Daft Punk)

No Flash Installed

E. So Sick Of Parabolas (Tool vs. Ne-Yo - So Sick)

No Flash Installed

F. Big Pressure Thumping Everybody (F. Mercury, D. Bowie, Chumbawamba, Tears For Fears & B. Rexha vs. Muse)

No Flash Installed

G. Don't Stop Loving Yourself (Justin Bieber vs. Journey)

No Flash Installed

H. Stand By Your Lonely Heart (Rachel Platten vs. Yes)

No Flash Installed

I. Die for Mashups (Rush vs. Manowar)

No Flash Installed

January saw the largest number of mashoff participants anyone seems to remember. And I believe I had a concept that would keep the momentum going, but that idea is being put on the shelf for now because last month, our winner, Nerd42 didn't get his honor of naming the terms of January's contest. Therefore, I am giving Nerd42 the opportunity to define February's Mashup Contest. Take it away, Nerd42....

This month's theme is Progressive Rock.
The challenge is to use any song by a progressive rock band in your mashup. The song(s) that you mash up with it can be anything. Progressive rock bands include the likes of Rush, Kansas, Pink Floyd, the Alan Parsons Project, Dream Theater, Yes and Genesis.

What I really care about in choosing this theme is getting people to work with songs that exhibit skilled musicality. Prog rock is not the same thing as "progressive" in other contexts. Prog rock goes all over the political spectrum. I would say that prog rock is really about experimentation after achieving a high level of skill or at least solid competence.

So, it looks as though things are going to get a bit more challenging for February, while at the same time exposing those of us who aren't as familiar with this musical genre to some music we might not have known about. What a great idea, Nerd42!

The Rules
In this challenge, you must mash-up either your acapella or instrumental from the list of artists named below. You may choose any song that these artists recorded (e.g. Phil Collins), even if the song isn't truly "Prog Rock." Other than that you are free to do as you wish. There are no other restrictions.

Remember, that in the spirit of Progressive Rock the main idea is skilled musicality, so when you're judging the competitors, keep that in mind.

Here is the complete list of artists from which you are to choose your main instrumental: (if you can't find an instrumental you like, Nerd42 will be directing us to a treasure-trove of music to choose from.)

Rush, Kansas, Pink Floyd, the Alan Parsons Project, Dream Theater, Yes, Genesis, Muse, Journey, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Queen, The Who, Toto, Tool, Blue Öyster Cult, Peter Gabriel, Kraftwerk, Primus, Styx, Vangelis, Frank Zappa, and more...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_progressive_rock_artists

THE 5-STEP DESCRIPTION:

At the start of every month, the (newly entitled) Emperor of MashStix posts a thread containing details of the challenge, for Example: 'Mashups 90bpm or slower with the theme of love'. They should also include the '5-Step Description' and the 'FAQ'.

The post will then shortly be stickied to the top of the 'Submit Mashups' section for all to see and respond to with their entries. Entries must be in by the 20th.
A vote will be created within that thread for everyone to vote on who should win and become the new Emperor (the vote can be created by the current emperor so please don't wait for a mod to do it as we are a busy people)

On the 27th (or until the last day of the month at the current emperor's choice) the poll shall end and a the new emperor will be chosen.

The winning track will then be featured on the Frontpage!

FAQ:

> How should I post my mashup?
Entries are to be posted in the thread using the players in the same way as you would on the main mashstix board (i.e. via Dropbox, hearthis, soundcloud or your own webspace), including details of the tracks used.

> Can I use a mashup that I've made previously?
No, that would be cheating!

> What if there is a tie!?
All ties will be settled by the Emperor (sounds like a worthy title now, doesn't it?)

> I didn't win, what can I do with my mashup?
If you are particularly proud of your mashup but didn't win then feel free to post your mashup in the 'Submit Mashup' section as you ordinarily would.

> What do I do if I'm confused??
PM 'DJ Firth' or another mod if you notice they are active

> So the Emperor get's to choose the next challenge and settle tie breakers, anything else?
The Emperor will attain limitless glory for all of eternity (and bragging rights) and Arnt may make a mashup video for you as well! :1cool:
Last edited by satis5d on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Re: Mashup Mashoff #36 - Progressive Rock

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Dang, this is a pretty interesting challenge! :1shocked:
Guess it's time for me to crack on :1laugh:
Please visit me at
Hearthis.at
Youtube
Facebook

2 Star User

Hmmm...

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:59 pm

Are Tool alowed here?
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

Re: Hmmm...

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:03 pm

GladiLord wrote:Are Tool alowed here?

It made the list! You gonna mash it with The Police and give us "Stingfist"?

2 Star User

Re: Hmmm...

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:12 pm

MashGyver wrote:
GladiLord wrote:Are Tool alowed here?

It made the list! You gonna mash it with The Police and give us "Stingfist"?

It will be a surprise, old chap! :1grin:
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:22 pm

GladiLord wrote:It will be a surprise, old chap! :1grin:
I wouldn't expect you to give away the surprise! But I'm having trouble coming up with any other clever Tool mashup titles...

Other popular ones on Wikipedia that didn't make the list: Asia, Chicago (pre-Karate Kid ballads), Electric Light Orchestra, Jethro Tull, Queensryche, Supertramp, and System Of A Down. So, lots more choices than initially come to mind.

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:26 pm

I don't really know what prog rock is, but you mention System of a Down - do all of their tracks class as progressive? :1smiley:

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:58 pm

DJ Firth wrote:I don't really know what prog rock is, but you mention System of a Down - do all of their tracks class as progressive?

Yeah, by the rules even Serj Tankian's solo stuff would work.

1 star User

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:11 pm

I did NOT say it had to be an instrumental. The challenge is to make a mashup involving at least one song by a progressive rock band. I suggested trying instrumentals cause there are alot of those, but there are also alot of acapellas available from the Rock Band and Guitar Hero series.

Also you are not restricted to the bands I listed. For any given band, look them up on Wikipedia. If prog rock or progressive rock is on the list of genres they are associated with then they're a prog rock band and they count for the contest. If you use a hip hop, house or EDM track that samples a prog rock artist then even that counts. It is very broad!

I have a mashup that has a Daft Punk instrumental with prog rock vocals by Styx. That would count

1 star User

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:16 pm

Is it OK to post links to multitracks here? I could batch upload stuff from my collection to use for the contest. I have a very big collection

Also, some more of my favorite prog rock bands not mentioned above are Jeff Wayne, the Osmonds, Neal Morse (and associated acts like Spock's Beard, Transatlantic and Flying Colors) Kayak, Kerry Livgren (of Kansas) the Moody Blues, King Crimson, Collosus Projects, Big Big Train, the Flower Kings, Shadow Gallery, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Symphony X ... I actually listen to alot more prog rock than I do mashups. Mashups account for probably 90% of my exposure to mainstream pop.

I guess some of Iced Earth's concept stuff counts as progressive metal ... and how did I forget Rick Wakeman's solo stuff?

This article is a must read. If you don't at least click on this then you probably shouldn't be entering cause this is hilarious and true
Last edited by Nerd42 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>