(FP)Enter Sledgeman (Peter Gabriel vs Metallica) RE-GYVERED!

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP)Enter Sledgeman (Peter Gabriel vs Metallica) RE-GYVERED!

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:03 pm

MashGyver - Enter Sledgeman (Peter Gabriel vs. Metallica)

Metallica - Enter Sandman Instrumental & Vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer Vocals, Horns, Organ, Shakuhachi Flute, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWJE0x7T4Q

ORIGINAL 2015 version:

No Flash Installed

2018 RE-GYVERED version:

No Flash Installed

2018 RE-GYVERED version 2DS:

No Flash Installed

2018 RE-GYVERED version 3:

No Flash Installed

You can download it now!

ORIGINAL 2015 DESCRIPTION: Definitely my most complex and ambitious project (19 channels mixed!) This represents 100+ hours of work! It has its issues, mostly due to the Sledgehammer stems (I don't know if better ones exist, but these are all in mono, and the horns are drenched in Reverb). So de-verbing and stereo-ifying them caused a few issues. But after 100+ hours (did I mention how many hours I put into this yet?), I will take a break before I go back and fix the vocals. But maybe all of your expert ears can detect other issues I missed...

Re: MashGyver - Enter Sledgeman (Peter Gabriel vs Metallica)

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:12 am

That truly was an aggressive mashup, MashGyver.

I hear what you're saying about the vocals, they still sound rather tinny and thin. But it's good enough at this point for a road trip playlist.

At about the 5:00 mark it felt like the song was finished, and at that point I'd had enough of the song. There are nice parts in the last minute, but I found myself distracted by other things (anything) at that point. This is a case where I like both original songs, and there are parts that I liked about this mashup, but I came away with the feeling like it would have been better at the 25-hours-of-work level. Perhaps you've over-worked it. It had a "forced" feeling to me in a lot of places.

I'm not the one to point out technicalities, but what I have to share, I've given and that's the way the song impacted me. You clearly have skills. Keep it up!
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks, satis5d. I can understand what you mean about it being too long--I really just tried to keep to the original Sandman instrumental, which is very long and repetitive, and I wanted to use as much of the Sledgehammer vocals as I could. I did have to do some pretty creative stuff to make it all work, but I kind of enjoy the problem-solving part of this, even it is a little overboard, and probably alienates a few listeners. Truthfully I probably could've cut the song shorter, and I'm thinking I'll make a "radio edit" version of this.

I am curious, though, which parts sounded "forced" to you?

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:06 pm

MashGyver wrote:I am curious, though, which parts sounded "forced" to you?

Of course, it's never easy to listen again and try to get the same impressions, but upon re-listening here are the spots that felt "forced" (to me):

the transition at about 3:10
around 4:40-ish
the whole "second ending" from 5:00 to about 5:40-ish
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Great combo MashGyver! :1smiley: I can tell you put some time into this edit, the stem placement is pretty meticulous. The timing and keys are all wonderful, but I think the mix can be improved a little bit.

Right now all of the Sledgehammer stems feel very narrow (mono), thin and outside of the instrumental. Perhaps they could use some low-mid warmth, depth/width and reverb to help them sit better. :1undecided:

Unrelated note: Try to keep the submissions down to 1 or 2 a week as requested by the moderators please. :1lipsrsealed:

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:54 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Great combo MashGyver! :1smiley: I can tell you put some time into this edit, the stem placement is pretty meticulous. The timing and keys are all wonderful, but I think the mix can be improved a little bit.

Thanks, Happy Cat! Indeed, I am meticulous and fastidious with my mashups!

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Right now all of the Sledgehammer stems feel very narrow (mono), thin and outside of the instrumental. Perhaps they could use some low-mid warmth, depth/width and reverb to help them sit better. :1undecided:

This is exactly the kind of feedback I needed! Mixing is not my area of expertise, so hopefully I understand all this and can make it happen.

The stems to Sledgehammer are in mono to begin with, and I wasn't sure what to do about them. The vocals I tried to widen, but I ended up with a lot (to the point of clipping it seems) in the center channel. I'll try your suggestion and add some reverb and lows/mids, and see if that helps. I was also planning on hollowing out the center a bit when I got around to it. The horns are tricky, though. They came so drenched in reverb, I decided to cut some mids/lows to make them sound usable. I did widen them in many parts of the song, but I'm noticing now that I missed a few sections, and didn't even think to do anything to the organ and shakuhachi flute, other than pan them out of the exact center. So, thanks for the perfect feedback--again it's exactly what I needed! Clearly I experienced a lot of ear fatigue working on a project of this magnitude!

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Unrelated note: Try to keep the submissions down to 1 or 2 a week as requested by the moderators please. :1lipsrsealed:

And thanks for this. I wasn't sure, but I did get a friendly email from one of the mods today. I'll cool off for a while!

Re: Enter Sledgeman (Peter Gabriel vs Metallica) RE-GYVERED!

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 pm

If there’s a Statute of Limitations on old submitted tracks I’m probably past it! This was the sixth mashup I ever made and the second one I submitted to mashstix. It was one of my most popular on YouTube until I started making good mashups :1laugh:

Over the last 2.5 years, whenever I need to take a break from new projects, I’ve casually been working on rebuilding this one (and a few others) from scratch. This one is still the most complicated and challenging mix I’ve put myself through. The original mix sounds like a nightmare to "2018 Me” and this version sounds about as good as I think it can get without better sources.

I’ve implemented a few small creative changes, but it’s mostly just me re-stereo-ifying the mono stems from Sledgehammer, using better pitch algorithms, and mixing the whole thing better.

I’m hoping to hear from HCD and satis5d especially, since they commented on the first version before any of us were Mods. But I always love to hear any and all feedback, no matter how harsh or nitpicky it is!

So…let me have it!

2 Star User

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Unrelated note: Try to keep the submissions down to 1 or 2 a week as requested by the moderators please. :1lipsrsealed:

MashGyver wrote:And thanks for this. I wasn't sure, but I did get a friendly email from one of the mods today. I'll cool off for a while!

Just to make things clear: the restriction began when I got that problem too some years ago, when I've made 4 mash submissions in a single day and, to avoid being a mash per 15 days (I guess it was kinda like this? or it was per month? no clue by now :1tongue: ), I've suggested a soft restriction of a max of 2 submissions per week (counting mash-off competing mashes as well).

So I guess MY suggestion is being taken serious, then. Good to know that. :1laugh:
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:20 pm

MashGyver wrote:If there’s a Statute of Limitations on old submitted tracks I’m probably past it!

Quality is always on time.

MashGyver wrote:But I always love to hear any and all feedback, no matter how harsh or nitpicky it is!

Here's a nitpick. Now that I have discovered transient shaping, I think the attack on the horns could be beneficially sharpened in some places, especially at the beginning (e.g., circa 0:47). At other times like during the guitar solo the soft attack is just right.

Overall though, this just completely kicks ass.

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Good resubmit Mash. Everything is swell here. :1cool:

You should make a radio length edit that removed the first minute of the song. This would address Satis5d's length issues.

1:11 to 1:18 have really thin vocals compared to what comes next. It sort of sounds like the dry signal is mutes and all we are getting is the wet from a verb. Is that your acapella? If so you should consider removing it and just starting the vocals at the second phrase.

The only other thing I think you need is a De-esser on the vocals. Not sure the Frequency that needs to be suppressed but it's clear around 4:06.

That's it for me. Great work at readdressing this.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>