(!) YepImTheToaster - Closing 22 (Semisonic vs Taylor Swift)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(!) YepImTheToaster - Closing 22 (Semisonic vs Taylor Swift)

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:17 am

YepImTheToaster - Closing 22 (Semisonic vs Taylor Swift)

Semisonic - Closing Time original full audio track

Semisonic - Closing Time karaoke instrumental

Taylor Swift - 22 acapella track

Hi all, as with all of my mashups that I am able to, I did this one first in an audio only mashup (which is mp3 previewed below) and later made a music video mashup version, which can be found here: http://vimeo.com/103735466 . I really enjoy the music video versions more than simply the audio ones myself as I think they're more fun, so I thought I'd toss that in there in case others feel the same way as me. Enjoy, and I hope to get feedback and maybe a spot on the front page! If not, I have many more... :1wink:

No Flash Installed

I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

2 Star User

Re: YepImTheToaster - Closing 22 (Semisonic vs Taylor Swift)

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:09 am

I like the combo without knowing the original sources ...
Too bad the rhythm part is overwritten by the electric guitar .
May be a little Eq on the instrumental... ;-)

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:06 am

Not my cuppa but ... good work ! :1wink:

RECOMMEND

Post Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Assal wrote:I like the combo without knowing the original sources ...
Too bad the rhythm part is overwritten by the electric guitar .
May be a little Eq on the instrumental... ;-)

Thanks, it's a shame you haven't heard 'Closing Time' before. It's a classic One Hit Wonder from my growing up years.

But aahhh.. you said a dirty word: EQ! Really scary stuff for me. Adjusting rhythm and melody? No problem. Adjusting EQ? Dear God.. I do try, though.
DRA'man wrote:Not my cuppa but ... good work ! :1wink:

RECOMMEND

Thanks. It's a compliment to me for you to appreciate something that isn't up your alley.
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

2 Star User

Re: (!) YepImTheToaster - Closing 22 (Semisonic vs Taylor Swift)

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:40 am

Congratulations for the "recommend" :-)
Oops, I think I've offended you ... and it wasn't my intention, excuse me :1embarassed:
My English is very rough, it's probably "google translate" that has misrepresented my thoughts ...
By Eq, I was talking to melt the acapella with instru ... not deform (and you totally understand).
I was honest with you ... you speak about 'dirty words "ok, but I see you've made ​​the changes, right?
(It was just my opinion on a technical aspect to improve the combo and I am not the holder in absolute truth)
Artistically, I like your mashup and I refuse to judge the choices and the work of others. Sorry if you understood something else.

Anyway, There's no shame if i don't know all the musical styles and all their classics, ( who knows everything? not me)
That said, here, you have to accept the feelings of the listeners , this is the principle of this forum.

Mate, I enjoyed listening to your work ... especially the latest version that deserves a FP.

Peace ...

"edit" [JOKE] be carefull with me...i m a terrorist[/JOKE] :1laugh:

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:45 am

Apart from the layered vocals near the end, the combination itself isn't so bad. However, both of these elements definitely need polish. The EQ suggestion has already been mentioned, but let me take it a step further. When you start with high-quality sources in the first place, you don't need to think so much about making them sound better.

With that said, it's not impossible to bring a source up to a passable (if still imperfect) standard.
Deputy Commissioner, Mashstix Harmony Police
Blog | Facebook

2 Star User

Post Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Without wishing to pollute this topic,
Sherlock, My advice regarding the V1..or you listened V2 ... which is better.
I should talk about "sound level of the instrumental" and not only Eq ...

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:14 am

Assal wrote:Congratulations for the "recommend" :-)
Oops, I think I've offended you ... and it wasn't my intention, excuse me :1embarassed:
My English is very rough, it's probably "google translate" that has misrepresented my thoughts ...
By Eq, I was talking to melt the acapella with instru ... not deform (and you totally understand).
I was honest with you ... you speak about 'dirty words "ok, but I see you've made ​​the changes, right?
(It was just my opinion on a technical aspect to improve the combo and I am not the holder in absolute truth)
Artistically, I like your mashup and I refuse to judge the choices and the work of others. Sorry if you understood something else.

No, I think the language barrier created some confusion in the 'tongue in cheek' (or, not meant to be taken seriously) joking way I was letting you know that adjusting EQ scares me because it can be extremely difficult to be really good at. It didn't mean anything about you or what you said.

Assal wrote: Anyway, There's no shame if i don't know all the musical styles and all their classics, ( who knows everything? not me)
That said, here, you have to accept the feelings of the listeners , this is the principle of this forum.

Again, there was just some confusion in what I was saying to you. When someone says 'it's a shame' or 'that's a shame', it doesn't mean that they are saying something is shameful or wrong. It is a term that just means it is unfortunate that something didn't happen, or, in other words, I wish you had heard the song before now.

I hope you understand I didn't see anything wrong with what you said to me, and I don't disagree with any of it at all. :1smiley:
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:39 am

Sherlock Poirot wrote:Apart from the layered vocals near the end, the combination itself isn't so bad. However, both of these elements definitely need polish. The EQ suggestion has already been mentioned, but let me take it a step further. When you start with high-quality sources in the first place, you don't need to think so much about making them sound better.

With that said, it's not impossible to bring a source up to a passable (if still imperfect) standard.

I understand that most mashup artists and listeners see layered vocals as an undesirable, or lazy, aspect in mashing up songs. I think it definitely can be and often is, but I actually intended artistically to have those multiple singers singing their own songs together near the end.

This is a favorite mashup format of mine when my song has singers from both songs contributing lyrics to the mashup. I generally will have one singer do a verse, one do a chorus, one or the other do the next verse, the other do a chorus, one or the other the bridge (all throughout these parts the opposing singer popping in for a phrase or word or two, to keep the cohesion existent and fresh), building up a 'duet-ish' (technical term, yes) momentum that crescendos near the end of the song with both singing their respective choruses together in the final chorus. Many non mashup songs follow this same build up format (of course with one singer) with the singer often layering their own lyrics from past choruses with the final 'super chorus' singing (again, another super technical term). An example I can think of offhand is the Flyleaf song 'Arise' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2ywyxFXO4#t=2m57s .

So that's my long-winded explanation of why I love to have multiple singers layer their singing in the last chorus of many of my mashups. But I do understand that some find it distasteful or feel like it doesn't mix well, and I can accept that, though I wish they could see it as I do, both singers' melodies being instruments that are harmonizing their 'solos' together. I could probably go back to that 'super chorus' and maybe tone back either artists singing creatively at parts to make it less of a free for all, and more of a back and forth exchange, if even slightly. I will play with that when I get some free time.

As far as any EQ issues, I have to admit that I have a tough time hearing issues like this and need some guidance at what might sound wrong. Is it a quality issue in one of the tracks vs. the other (perhaps the parts where Semisonic's singer is singing is of a lower quality sounding recording compared to the parts in the instrumental of 'Closing Time' (or, any of the music playing when Taylor Swift is singing without Semisonic's singer singing)? Or is it a volume level issue of any of the tracks, or jumps or falls in volume level at any point in the song? If I can be guided to what parts in the song sound off and why, I can figure out how I might work it out.

Thanks.
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Post Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Okay, the feedback has motivated me to do an overhaul to

1. the EQ of the 2 'Closing Time' tracks
2. the audio leveling of all of the tracks
3. the final chorus (removing nearly all of the layered vocals)

I like the results and hope you do also. The newly edited song is in the original post song preview, and also here:

No Flash Installed

Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>