[FP] Not Here - Apocalypse Prophecy (DUNE vs. BSG)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

[FP] Not Here - Apocalypse Prophecy (DUNE vs. BSG)

Post Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Not Here - Apocalypse Prophecy (DUNE vs. BSG)

Brian Eno - Prophecy Theme (DUNE OST) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyTtqvhHFyk
Bear McCreary - Apocalypse (Battlestar Galactica: The Plan OST) www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDAedoUZPNE

Okay. I don't know if this is any better "polished" than before. Updated version of "End Prophesy"... Dropped first "Aum" and gave vocals light phasing to "brighten" it without overdoing it. Also EQ'd the "mud" to less annoying levels, I hope. Oh, yeah. Corrected the spelling of "prophecy" (by way of paying a little more attention to what I am doing).

On a related side note, someone asked what the words being sung were. Having looked it up when BSG was still airing, I told her it was a prayer for enlightenment, but it would be better if she looked at it herself. Different translations emphasize different aspects of the words. "Apocalypse" was not the theme to Battlestar, but the prayer, called the Gayatri Mantra, was sung in a similar manner for the title theme.

Anywho, here's hoping you like it!

Cruise Light!
NH

No Flash Installed

Download : http://src.hearthis.at/download/?track= ... rophecy-v1

(Update v.2) : http://src.hearthis.at/download/?track= ... rophecy-v2

No Flash Installed

Last edited by Not Here on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed."

Re: Not Here - Apocalypse Prophecy (DUNE vs. BSG)

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:22 am

hi Not here ! i like your mashup, i think the voice could be louder until 2.09 mn and then you'll have a very good track :1wink:

1 star User

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 am

Thank you, DRA'man!! I appreciate the help. :1cool: With practice, I learn more... With guidance, I do better...
I will give it another go when I get a chance. Gotta run off and go to "work."(Stupid money, always getting in my way of what I what I want.)
Thanx, again!
NH

Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Hey Not Here,

good to see you didn't give up on this one, because it already sounded damn promising on the first version.

This one sounds even better to my ears, but as Dra'man already said, the vocal could be a bit louder.

In this particular case I might even try adding some reverb to that vocal. Since it's a slow vocal,
the reverb shouldn't be heard too much, but it might give it that little something needed to get it
more mixed into the track itself, because also that synth background sound uses lots of reverb here.

Nice work mate, and from the listening side, one of my favourites of this year so far.

1 star User

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:42 am

this has definatly improved! Goodstuff Not Here!

Ben @FYR
Feed Your Robot, Feed Your Head!
http://www.feedyourrobot.tumblr.com

1 star User

Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Thank you both, DJAxcess and FYRBen!!
I will have (at least) one more try at this. I'm guessing sometime after the weekend I'll push up the vocals and try out some reverb and see how it goes. Any other suggestions? I really do want to make the most enjoyable mashes I can.
NH

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:08 pm

Heya matey,

Personally, I'm digging this update - I don't find the vocal too muddy at all.

It sits nicely in the mix for me, and has that kind of Dead Can Dance/Enya/Julee Cruise vibe going on. You could probably nudge it upwards, but I'd say no more than 1.5-2dB max. If you have to go the reverb route, go with something that has quite a diffuse long tail to it, but I'd recommend duplicating the dry vocal and having the reverb stem run under it, quite low in the levels (this would mean you shouldn't have to nudge the dry vocal at all in levels as the reverb track will help boost it overall).

Even if you don't do anything else on this, it's a beauty of a track to my ear as it is, so I'll give it a two thumbs recommend!

Ooh, and I tried to fix your embedded cover art image, but I can't resolve the URL, so if you can have a look at that when you get a sec. Might be worth setting up a Photobucket account for your cover art

Cheers,
A.
CLT / FB / SCD / DJ for your Soul

1 star User

Re: (!) Not Here - Apocalypse Prophecy (DUNE vs. BSG)

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Big like this

Is nice hear a cinematic mashup of science fiction.
This thing fit together very nice, also.

Goodwork Not Here.

1 star User

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:30 am

"Holla back" to Colatron and Phaic Nine! I thank you both for your kind words. :1grin:
I cannot tell you how I managed to screw up the cover art :1embarassed: , but the "End Prophesy" was the cover of a BSG comic with the character of "Number 6" with half her face shown to be robotic, which I thought was similar to the split-face mashup posters ubiquitous about the webz. The "Apocalypse Prophecy" is accompanied with an amber waveform graphic that I had stumbled across while searching Terrence McKenna's Timewave Zero, which had been his computer analysis of the I-Ching, overlaid upon historic context, with his prophecy culminating, oddly enough, on 21 December 2012. His was not a prophecy of doom, however. McKenna predicted that the wave function followed "novelty," with an historically unprecedented result, i.e, the discovery of time travel or extraterrestrial life. :1shocked: If it happened, though, I was not informed... :1sad:
I still believe in Novelty, despite the 2012 bit. And I miss Terrence McKenna's colorful viewpoints.
Gratefully in your service,
Not Here

1 star User

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:06 pm

No Flash Installed

Updated version. Not sure if I "overdid" it, but I bumped up the vocal & tried to re-level the audio overall. Any further suggestions?
Please and thank you!
Sincerely, NH

DL: http://src.hearthis.at/download/?track= ... rophecy-v2
Last edited by Not Here on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>