[FRONTPAGED] G3RSt :: Thunder Jack Flash :: AC/DC vs Rolling

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

[FRONTPAGED] G3RSt :: Thunder Jack Flash :: AC/DC vs Rolling

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:33 am

Hey all,

It's time for something rawkin' old school, and I sure hope this hasn't been done before... ;)

Here's:

Thunder Jack Flash (click)

No Flash Installed

Sources:
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
The Rolling Stones - Jumping Jack Flash

Hope you'll like what you hear! Comments are very welcome as always, folks. :)

G3RSt

4 Star User

Re: G3RSt :: Thunder Jack Flash :: AC/DC vs Rolling Stones

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Hoi C3PO of was het een andere afkorting? ;)

I just did a remake of Black Betty inspired by Loo & Placido's "Betty got Jacked". (http://www.looandplacido.com/home.php?lang=en)

Your Track could sound even "wilder" by adding some house beats and effects for my opinion.

Your good idea is wild but I'm doubting that we have enough old school hard rockers in our scene to appreciate this mashup.

De greetz van uit Duitsland (Kempen bij Venlo)

Rick

All Star User

Re: G3RSt :: Thunder Jack Flash :: AC/DC vs Rolling Stones

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Combine two huge bands and what do you get . . . a G mash ha.

It's simply got to be frontpaged baby ! :)

Re: (!)G3RSt :: Thunder Jack Flash :: AC/DC vs Rolling Stones

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:18 pm

@DJ Rick Lee: Hiya, your Dutch is pretty good! (echt waar!) Thanks for the kind words on this latest track. I know what you mean - Mashstix has few alt bootleggers, but I do mix up some dancey stuff every now and then. I decided to keep this one simple and clean, still glad you enjoyed it. I'll be sure to check out that Black Betty mash of yours. :) Thanks!

@Dylan: Whoohoo! Cheers D-man - that's fast. Honored to be frontpaged again, dude. :)

G.

1 star User

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:10 pm

I am a huge fan of both original tracks here, but for me this is just too simple... I know that's what you were going for, but this is mostly just laying down an acapella over an instrumental as far as I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't know what work went into it). When someone uses this technique with hip-hop acapellas, they generally get blasted for it on here. To me that's a double standard. No offense to G3RSt, as I am a big fan of your mashups in general, and I'm not even saying I don't like this because I do, but frontpaged? I think it's more of just a fun track than frontpage material.

Technically speaking, I think the AC/DC vocal is too loud for the Stones instro, which is made very apparent during the chorus when Brian Johnson is singing "whoa-oh-oh-oh-whoah-oh-oh-oh" over the Stones' vocals. Not only is it a whole lot louder, but it kind of feels out of place to me as well. I still like it, but the combination of both tracks isn't anywhere close to as great as the two originals, and I feel like a great mashup should create something that either comes close to or eclipses the original source material.

It's nice to hear classic rock tracks mashed just as something different, but to me it isn't particularly special. Sorry to be the negative one on this thread... I'm about as big of a classic rock fan as you'll find, so stuff like this is usually right up my alley.

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi Bonez,

First off, I'd like to say thanks for your honesty. Much appreciated - I think more people should speak their minds. :)

The tune itself is meant as a simple A+B, which could also be one of it's flaws. You're right to be critical, even if it's something in the genre you like doesn't mean it should be frontpaged right away.

What I can tell you is that a lot of work went into it. I spent a lot of time syncing and re-structuring the song. I started off using a cover instrumental, but it just didn't feel right, so I ended up looping parts of the original song. That's just the main part, but... you might be right about the vocals. I re-listened the tune later today and at some points they seem to jump at you, so thanks for pointing that out.

About your last point... well, that's a bit more subjective I think. Mashups, imho, don't serve a single purpose. So in one case I try my best to make something that's more than the sum of it's parts. It's nice if that happens, but you can also create a mashup to point out similarities between songs others won't see, or to surprise the listener.

This tune falls more under this last category. ;)

Anyway, about the frontpaging part - It's really not my call, but it could be good to wait untill a tune has picked up enough comments before being frontpaged. I read the thread on this on the forum, and I think that any mix that stirs things up, good or bad, deserves that.

Just my two cents...

Thanks!

G.

All Star User

Post Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:26 pm

sod everyone else! i think its great :lol: although i think th ac dc vox could come down a tad in the mix, but then what do i know :roll:

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:25 am

Thanks, Boris!

Frontpaged or not... I just wanted to say you guys were right about those vox - I tugged them in a bit, which sounds a bit more normal. ;)

Thanks for listening!

G.

1 star User

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:57 am

Yes, it goes to my next setlist :) I think - good work.

1 star User

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:01 am

I quite like it g3rst, the end result simple and effective. Probably one thing which stood out for me is maybe a subtle reverb or something over the ac/dc vocal as it sounded a little dry .But then again it probably would have clashed and be more noticeable against the stones vocals interplaying with it also.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>