(FP)DJ Dumpz - You Play Poisoned Tsunami(DVBBS vs 4 sources)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
3 Star User

(FP)DJ Dumpz - You Play Poisoned Tsunami(DVBBS vs 4 sources)

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:47 pm

DJ Dumpz

You Play Poisoned Tsunami

SOURCES:
- DVBBS & Borgeous - Tsunami (Original Mix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWbonj7f18
- Groove Coverage - Poison (Acapella)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESZXquW2jVs
- David Guetta feat. Ne-Yo & Akon - Play Hard (Acapella)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dbEhBKGOtY
- Special D. - You (Acapella)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8RqI8w8IJE
- Blur - Song 2 (Acapella)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbBvKaM6sk

I already had this mashup in my mind for just a while but no time to really finish it. And now finally it is here - full of "tsunamic" energy and ready to hit the clubs!!
What do you think? I'm looking forward to your feedback! :1smiley:
Note: This is an EDM mashup made for the dancefloor so please just ignore it if you don't like this kind of mashups at all. :1wink:

Video by iMASHUP:
phpBB [media]

Hearthis.at

No Flash Installed

Download Link: http://hearthis.at/djdumpz/dvbbs-vs-special-d-vs-groove-coverage-vs-david-guetta-you-play-poisoned-tsunami-dj-dumpz-mashup/download

SoundCloud:

No Flash Installed

SoundCloud direct link: https://soundcloud.com/djdumpz/dvbbs-vs-special-d-vs-groove

Extended Version: See description on SoundCloud!

Last edited by DJ Dumpz on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Re: DJ Dumpz - You Play Poisoned Tsunami (DVBBS vs 4 sources)

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:23 pm

Anyone else beside me hoped that links would lead to the Acapella versions? :1shocked: :1shocked: :1shocked:

Your preview player seems to have trouble there, but the download works fine.

I really like this, although i have the feeling that "work hard - play hard" and "poison" sound somewhat too "clear" in the mix.
I don't know what it really is that bothers me about it, because technically it sounds great, but somehow I have the feeling
it sounds too much like it's just layered on the instrumental and doesn't really "mix" in the mash.

To me this sounds like if I am playing a DJ set at a club and have some samples set up which I just "shoot" into the mix
every now and then without using any effects on it or caring about how it mixes all together.

But maybe that's just because Tsunami is kinda monotone here and doesn't allow too much of mixing the frequencies here.

All in all, big thumbs up from me, because I really enjoyed it.

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm afraid most of the vocal tracks you've used sound like they are separate from the mix :/
DJAxcess quite accurately describes it sounds like a DJ is sampling live.

The vocals just stand out too much :1undecided: they are too loud and just don't fit in, maybe some more EQ like reverb and more would help that?
Work hard especially sounds really dry

Also, if it's an EDM mashup made for the dancefloor then you should really have an intro & outro :1wink:

Some of your mixes are pure amazing dumpz and literally make the crowd go nuts - i've had really good feedback playing them live before, but i'm afraid this is not one of those tracks :1undecided:

3 Star User

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Hey Axcess,

thanks for the fast and detailled feedback! :1smiley:

DJAxcess wrote:Anyone else beside me hoped that links would lead to the Acapella versions? :1shocked: :1shocked: :1shocked:

Haha no, I just added the youtube links to the sources in case anyone people don't know all of the used tracks...

DJAxcess wrote:Your preview player seems to have trouble there, but the download works fine.

Thanks, I just fixed the preview player.

DJAxcess wrote:I really like this, although i have the feeling that "work hard - play hard" and "poison" sound somewhat too "clear" in the mix.
I don't know what it really is that bothers me about it, because technically it sounds great, but somehow I have the feeling
it sounds too much like it's just layered on the instrumental and doesn't really "mix" in the mash.

To me this sounds like if I am playing a DJ set at a club and have some samples set up which I just "shoot" into the mix
every now and then without using any effects on it or caring about how it mixes all together.

But maybe that's just because Tsunami is kinda monotone here and doesn't allow too much of mixing the frequencies here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's really hard because of the Tsunami mental as you already said. Hm...maybe I should try to add some more reverb to these two acapellas? Or does anyone have a better idea?

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:50 pm

You're welcome. ;)

I would try using some reverb and maybe some dynamics in a send/return and use it on the vocals AND the mental.
Of course not use too much reverb on the mental. but if running the mental and the vocals through the same dynamics,
they might "merge" a bit more. Hard to explain here since I haven't worked with that tune before.
Maybe even sidechain compression would do the trick here.

Maybe this one helps. :1laugh: :1grin: :1shocked:
But I shouldn't shout that loud here. Having the same problem most of the time with my mixes. :1laugh:

3 Star User

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks DJ Firth for your helpful feedback! :1smiley:
I've updated the track now on hearthis.at with version 2.0 in which I lowered the volume of the Poison and Play Hard vocals and added some reverb to them. For me it sounds better now...what do you think?

Haha Access, your image is awsome!! :1grin:
Yeah, maybe I should try the SC compression if the vocals still don't merge with the mental! Thanks for the hint! :1smiley:

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:20 pm

MUCH better now! If I were a team member, you'd have your RECOMMEND now. ;)

Post Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:27 pm

Start of the mix & first drop Sounds much better!
But still needs a lil work;

'Work Hard Play Hard' sounds a little narrow still, maybe a chorus fx or similar?

After 1:30 or so - the 'poison' vocals and, well, all the vocals sound louder than they did earlier in the mix? either that or the instrumental sounds quieter? There is definitely a difference :1undecided:

The blur vocals don't fit great either, could you add a delay fx to those? That might help it flow better. :1smiley:

Hope this is useful :1tongue: haha

3 Star User

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:41 am

Thanks guys, you really pushed me into the right direction! :1smiley:
I've just updated the track with version 3.0 which includes all your suggested improvements. The only thing I'm not hearing is that the vocals get louder at some point and I also checked it in the project..."Poison" and "Play Hard" are always the same volume as before 1:30. :1undecided:

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:40 am

DJ Dumpz wrote:Thanks guys, you really pushed me into the right direction! :1smiley:
I've just updated the track with version 3.0 which includes all your suggested improvements. The only thing I'm not hearing is that the vocals get louder at some point and I also checked it in the project..."Poison" and "Play Hard" are always the same volume as before 1:30. :1undecided:

It sounds great here. About the same volume before and after 1:30 for the vocals,
that's exactly where sidechain compression comes into play. :1tongue:

But I think it's not too much of a problem on this tune.
This is some nice EDM mashup and I would even consider playing this in one of my DJ'ing sets, although I rarely play mashups in my sets.
But this would definitely fit nice into some house set here.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>