[FP] Naive Sir Duke (The Kooks vs Stevie Wonder)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

[FP] Naive Sir Duke (The Kooks vs Stevie Wonder)

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 pm

DJ Crossability - Naive Sir Duke (The Kooks vs Stevie Wonder)

The Kooks - Naive (Instrumental)
Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (Acapella)

Hi

Here's the newly updated version that I've been working on to hopefully fix some of the vocal timings.

Also, sorry if it looks like I keep bumping this one but it's taken me a while to improve it after getting feedback.

Cheers

No Flash Installed

mp3 Download link: http://src.hearthis.at/download/?track= ... vie-wonder
Last edited by DJ CROSSABILITY on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Naive Sir Duke (The Kooks vs Stevie Wonder)

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:40 pm

This is a huge step in the right direction compared to "I Feel Alive." You've got the genre clash criterion covered and the acapella placement is, for the most part, spot on.

Alas, there were a few places where the acapella wandered off-beat - for example, Stevie sounds slightly ahead of the beat starting at 0:32. Be mindful of other places where this happens throughout the mashup; you may have initially missed them, but when you do your re-evaluations, you have to be absolutely ruthless. Also, Stevie's volume seems to slightly (and noticeably) increase at 2:44.

Listen - you're very close to a recommend from me. Fix this mashup and it's yours.
Former Deputy Commissioner, Mashstix Harmony Police
Facebook

3 Star User

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:37 pm

This is definitely your best one so far. I'm hearing some very minor clashes on a few notes however, making for a bit of flatness. Anyone else get that?

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi Sherlock

Thanks for your feedback.

I’ve attempted to correct some of the vocal placements, as you said, to make it sound more on point and also lowered Stevie's volume from 2:44.

I’ve uploaded and linked this new version to the preview player above – does it sound any better?

Cheers
Last edited by DJ CROSSABILITY on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi GenErik

Thanks for your comments.

Although I searched online before starting to make it to check both songs were in the same key, I did still wonder (excuse the pun!) about Stevie’s vocal being flat in places. I just thought it might be his style of singing - as in it being a bit warbly, but yeah I’m not too sure now?

Cheers

1 star User

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:11 pm

DJ Crossability wrote:Hi GenErik

Although I searched online before starting to make it to check both songs were in the same key, I did still wonder (excuse the pun!) about Stevie’s vocal being flat in places. I just thought it might be his style of singing - as in it being a bit warbly, but yeah I’m not too sure now?

Cheers

Some really nice elements in this. Remember, just because two songs are in the same key does not mean that they will blend perfectly. Regardless of the key, a song will still have the occasional flat and sharp note. And that is what I think is making it slightly out of key just in a few spots.

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:28 pm

groovefunkel wrote:Some really nice elements in this. Remember, just because two songs are in the same key does not mean that they will blend perfectly. Regardless of the key, a song will still have the occasional flat and sharp note. And that is what I think is making it slightly out of key just in a few spots.

I guess there are spots where Stevie is a bit out, but they still don't strike me as blatant dealbreakers.

Here's the good news, Crossability: it sounds as if you have fixed that volume discrepancy at 2:44, so good job there. Unfortunately, I'm still hearing a few places where Wonderboy (I know, I'm terrible) is wandering off-beat. Now, I can cite specific examples if you wish, but they're kind of sprinkled throughout the mashup.

What I will do is post the original "Sir Duke" so you can see what I'm getting at. Compare your mashup's acapella timing to Stevie's original and you should see what I'm trying to get at. (That said, both songs don't have precise tempos due to the human factor behind them.)

phpBB [media]

I know I'm being exacting, but trust me - it's for your good. Your move.
Former Deputy Commissioner, Mashstix Harmony Police
Facebook

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:58 am

Yep - this is a definite step in the right direction for me too. I think the key issues may be too much to work around - I've spent better part of 3 years trying to get something to go with Naive that didn't have a bum note or five in there (I'm pretty sure they detuned slightly on the guitars) so for me that's not too much of an issue. If you can work on those timing issues as per Sherlock's suggestion, I think you've got a pretty darned cool mashup here!
CLT / FB / SCD / DJ for your Soul

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:52 am

groovefunkel wrote:
DJ Crossability wrote:Hi GenErik

Cheers

Some really nice elements in this. Remember, just because two songs are in the same key does not mean that they will blend perfectly. Regardless of the key, a song will still have the occasional flat and sharp note. And that is what I think is making it slightly out of key just in a few spots.

Hi groovefunkel

Thanks for the comment and advice on the key issue, I will keep this in mind from now on to listen more closely for clashes in sources I use that are in the same original key.

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:58 am

Sherlock Poirot wrote:
groovefunkel wrote:Some really nice elements in this. Remember, just because two songs are in the same key does not mean that they will blend perfectly. Regardless of the key, a song will still have the occasional flat and sharp note. And that is what I think is making it slightly out of key just in a few spots.

I guess there are spots where Stevie is a bit out, but they still don't strike me as blatant dealbreakers.

Here's the good news, Crossability: it sounds as if you have fixed that volume discrepancy at 2:44, so good job there. Unfortunately, I'm still hearing a few places where Wonderboy (I know, I'm terrible) is wandering off-beat. Now, I can cite specific examples if you wish, but they're kind of sprinkled throughout the mashup.

What I will do is post the original "Sir Duke" so you can see what I'm getting at. Compare your mashup's acapella timing to Stevie's original and you should see what I'm trying to get at. (That said, both songs don't have precise tempos due to the human factor behind them.)

phpBB [media]

I know I'm being exacting, but trust me - it's for your good. Your move.

Thanks for helping with this.

I know I should be trying to figure it out myself but I’d be grateful if you could perhaps point out some specific areas that need changing, just to start me in the right direction, as I’m getting a bit stuck with it!

Cheers

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>