It's a wonderful reggae night life - Seeed vs. Jimmy Cliff

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

It's a wonderful reggae night life - Seeed vs. Jimmy Cliff

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:21 am

(Hope dies at last)

Last year Seeed, a german reggae / dancehall group, produced a remix of Black's "Wonderful life" back from the 80's.
I grabbed the vocals and put them over an instrumental version of Jimmy Cliff's "Reggae night".
Here's the result:

Acapella: Seeed - Wonderful life
Instrumental: Jimmy cliff - Reggae night

No Flash Installed

Tweaked version (see down)

No Flash Installed

You can watch the video, too:
phpBB [media]
Last edited by Hahnstudios on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

1 star User

Re: It's a wonderful reggae night life - Seeed vs. Jimmy Cliff

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:11 am

Not one single comment??

Is the mix sooo bad that you think there's nothing left to do that makes it better

or

do you just love the mashup and have nothing to critizize or add?

1 star User

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:17 pm

It's rough to put all that effort into something and get completely ignored. Especially since you made a video. (BTW, the non-video link isn't working for me. This could contribute to not getting comments.)

The fundamentals are strong and the song is catchy. I like the thematic combination, especially since this really isn't reggae. It certainly doesn't fall into the unlistenable category, but there are flaws.

I got annoyed at the number of times you used the "This is Seeed, y'all" sample. Once, maybe twice is ok, but five is too many. "We heard you the first time, Seeed!" And that isn't the only overused sample. On that note, it seemed busy to me, like you couldn't stand for a second to go by without bringing in some sample or another. Give us a couple bars to enjoy the music. The crowd noises, if you put them in... well, I wouldn't have.

I did like how you incorporated some vocals from Reggae night.

The energy seems a little mismatched. The vocals are very relaxed, the 'mental seems more energetic.

1 star User

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks for your detailed reply
(Especially for the hint, that the sound link doesn't work. -> Corrected that now)

To the crowd vocals: Some of them are already in the original, but I added some more.

What do you mean by "The energy seems a little mismatched" Maybe my english is too bad, but I don't understand that sentence

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:24 am

The Lack of comments are probably because very little people know the sources or are knowledgeable in this kind of genre.
Me included, I know nothing about it.. but it sounds kinda cool, that's all I can really say :1laugh:

1 star User

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:28 am

Hahnstudios wrote:What do you mean by "The energy seems a little mismatched" Maybe my english is too bad, but I don't understand that sentence

The instrumental feels like you should get up and dance. Upbeat, groovy, energetic. The pella feels like you should just relax and listen. Calm, smooth, slow. It leaves the listener confused as to what they should do. At 2:24, we get a good example of matching energy with the "everything's gonna be alright". The vocals are more upbeat and it matches the instrumental. But don't worry, it's a minor issue.

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:38 am

Hey Hahnstudios,

Don't worry about lack of comments - sometimes the boards fall quiet and people are busy so don't get around to listening to everything.

The track itself - very smoothly done. I know both Seeed and Jimmy Cliff, so considering their respective usual genres, this sounds completely unlike them and puts a fresh new spin on the artists so I like it from that point of view.

On a production level, it's all in key and time - I would have liked the Seeed vocal to be a tiny amount higher on the levels to drive the track on, but it's all still crystal clear. I know what Wasp means about the energy levels - it seems quite draining in an 80s kind of way, so it's one to listen to as opposed to dancing to, but I think that's more a result of the instrumental itself than the mashup - there's nothing wrong with laidback tracks (I've made a career of it!), but I think this could be even better if you took your mixdown and increased the overall BPM by say 5-10bpm - then it would zip along and feel much more hi-energy and therefore suited to the artists used.

But as a production, it's good! Well done

Cheers
A.
CLT / FB / SCD / DJ for your Soul

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi Hahn,

I echo what Colatron is saying here, those are some ace tips. The vocals seem a bit too soft in the mix, and speeding the whole thing up with a few bpm will make the track 'drag' less.

That said, it's still a very good combo. :1cool:

G.

1 star User

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Thank you very much guys for these replies (Didn't get much positive feedback around here so far)

Will follow your idea and try to fasten the song a little bit.
(And through out some samples)

Thanks to wasp for the explanation of your "energy"-term.

I must admit, that there are a lot of genres in this mix:

The original "Wonderful world" was a sadly ballad. The remix of Seeed is a cool hip hop version.
And "Reggae night" is a bit cheesy pop song.
So that clashes together.

1 star User

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Now I tweaked the song:

It's a little bit faster, some stereo enhancment and some equilizer changes.

For me it sounds "fresher" aferwards

Now I'm interested in your opinion:

No Flash Installed

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>