Years - Stonger Echos - Auburn v West v Zoe

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Years - Stonger Echos - Auburn v West v Zoe

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:40 am

Title: Stronger Echos

Sources:
Auburn - La La La
Kanye West - Stonger
Gorilla Zoe - Echo
*Updated*
Usher - Climbing Mountains

No Flash Installed

Information: This is my second mashup, hopefully some people like it. I still need to learn a lot more, so Im hoping that I will get a lot of feedback and opinions on this mashup. The more criticism the better!

Thanks for viewing.

*Update*
- Changed Sound and Lyrics
- Added Usher - Climbing Mountains

Hope this makes the song better. :)

Download Link: http://soundcloud.com/years/stonger-echos
Last edited by Years on Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Re: Years - Stonger Echos - Auburn v West v Zoe

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:48 am

Hey Years!

For a second mashup, this is pretty good! I didn't know any of the sources apart from the Kanye vocal, but I like the style and flow of this track.

I would say that the immediate thing that sticks out is that the Kanye vocal seems so much quieter than the other elements of this mash - if anything, the instrumental seems a little too loud, so if I were you, I'd drop the levels about 2 or 3 dB on the track and keep Kanye as is.

You might want to consider a little more of the Kayne vocal in there too, as the mash does get a little repetitive towards the end with the multiple La La Las. Maybe even drop more of the Kanye chorus in (as this is the part most people would recognise from Stronger).

But as I say, this was highly enjoyable. Hope my suggestions help, and look forward to hearing more from you

Cheers
A.
CLT / FB / SCD / DJ for your Soul

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:54 am

Well I can't add anything more, Andy summed it up... :)
lloyd

No Flash Installed

1 star User

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks guys for the comments. I appreciate the suggestions and Im going to get working on the sound problems.

I also messed up with the sounds on my first mashup, I guess I cant learn :P

Thanks again

-Patrick

Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:41 pm

Years wrote:
I also messed up with the sounds on my first mashup, I guess I cant learn :P

Thanks again

-Patrick

Heh....trust me Patrick, if you ever heard the debacles I came out with for 12 months when I first started mashing, you'd know you've learned by your 2nd track here!

Even now, 95% of my output has something wrong with it, and there's so much more for me to get to grips with, but if you carry on progressing at this rate, you'll be fine :)

As a tip, I always make my tracks on the headphones, before trying them back over some pretty good speakers - you'll get the knack of hearing which bits need to come down, and if your software has a little levels monitor type thingy, keep an eye on it, playing with the levels as you go - if you see any huge spikes, you'll know that something needs to be tweaked down slightly. As long as everything comes in below the dreaded 0dB, you'll be fine!

Keep up the good work
A.
CLT / FB / SCD / DJ for your Soul

1 star User

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 am

Thanks mate. I will take that advise and go buy some headphones. The ones I had(got for Christmas) has only one side of them working. So I don't bother using them. Then again they were only around 10 dollars. :P

As the saying goes. "You get what you pay for" :D

I appreciate your compliments. And hope I can impress you in my future mashups.

- Years

All Star User

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:14 am

Welcome to Mashstix, and good luck in the forthcoming challenge. You will be in a newbie group so have fun.

Indeed, mix on headphones but play the track not just on a set of speakers, but everything you have - only then will you be able to hear it on different systems etc.

The mixitself is fine, but there is one bit (which I am surprised no one has mentioned) .... the second verse I think. Its out of key, and the acapella itself is DIY. It ruins it for me ..... I would consider replacing that section.

As Lloyd, and Colatron have said it's not bad at all for a second mash.

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:42 am

DylanVasey wrote:but there is one bit (which I am surprised no one has mentioned) .... the second verse I think. Its out of key

Totally agree Dylan - but for a second mashup... key is something you hear or you don't - if you find yourself squinting whilst listening to playback then chances are you are out of key... I don't like to mention it with the new guys because if they can't hear it then they're scewed and should just give up then and there - because harmonic mixing software or not; if you can't hear it yourself then you will never really be any good at producing.
So my default setting is to assume they know it's ook but are looking on the project as a practise run and will obviously get better with each subsequent release... there, that's my thoughts on the subject ;) :D
lloyd

No Flash Installed

1 star User

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Just bought some new Sony headphones (wireless), and the bass inst working out to well. Buying a wireless headphone must have been my millionth mistake of my life.

30 day warranty, Best Buy will let me return it and buy beats by Dr. Dre ($299)

Thanks for the comments guys as well as the tips.

If anyone knows of some good pc headphones, please let me know!

($299, is quite a price)

-Patrick

All Star User

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:26 pm

I have two sets of headphones. Stanton for club work (expensive but you get what you pay for with these) and a £20 ($30) pair of Sony headphones for mashup production.

My own thoughts on this are you don't need to spend a lot, anything with a decent name and a closed cup will work. So long as you are using good quality sources, and will 'test' your track out in the car, on the stereo, etc before you post you shouldnt miss anything.

If your playing in a club, thats different - you need good equiptment to work with, and you have to pay for it.

Good to see you here, how did you hear about us ?

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>