mashstix relaunch... or new site

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
2 Star User

Re: mashstix relaunch... or new site

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:12 am

what you need is an issue tracker, for instance here made in MS Excel, but portable to google spreadsheet
https://chandoo.org/wp/issue-trackers/

for instance;

add an extra column with the issue-source (did you find it, someone else with reasonable questions, someone with unreasonable demands, important fixes or site goes down)

plus column with name of the issue submitter so you can ask him/her 'WHAT do you mean'

plus maybe a column for the release number in which you plan to fix the issue

2 Star User

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am

By chance I saw this discussion because I saw a 'new' picture on the forum. New being relative, as you are the man who started mash-STIX.
I agree with Satis5d that you can do what you want with the current site. But having spend a lot (A LOT) of time here, I am worried that we (I...) will lose things.

I also agree on his church example. There has not been a lot of action. The number of active mods is low - of course I understand their personal priorities. Maybe it is 'over' for this site, of this way of working together in a forum. Then it is not the best time to convert.

For me the forum is the important part of Mashstix. I admit that I check the frontpage from time to time on my mobile, but never play a song there (not my own for honest reasons, but also no others).

Keeping the old site up, including all history and information, would be best. I can live with a new URL for that. But I feel that you don't want to keep the old site up, because you would still have the spammer and bitcoin problem....

From the tutorial section, I have copied stuff that I needed or maybe will need, but after a while I thought: it will be on the site when I need it (for instance: how to EQ a bass guitar, for the moment I do have stems of a song). Please store the tutorials somewhere.
The same applies to my own threads. But if you announce the 'big switch date' early enough, I can make my own backup (but if you have 13 comments on a mashup, it does not fit on one page and needs multiple saves and prints. On the other hand, if it is just short, like:
submission + great recommend + yeah great Frontpage + thanks guys
You don't NEED to store the information because it is just step 1+2+3+4

I like the pictures of users, they help me to quickly find new interesting posts and see if anyone has commented yet. please keep avatars/picture thingies
Usually I need a number of revisions on mym mashups. I cannot upload to Mashstix now, so I have to put them on Dropbox and then put the URL in my mashstix post. Sometimes I forget the picture, of find a typo after submitting, or put in the wrong version number. Please make it possible to edit posts.
It will be great to post directly on Mashstix. But this CAN give you (Paul) a copyright problem ofcourse. Sowndhaus works around this with the pastiche,parody route and mention ALL sources (this could be a problem with multi mashups)

I agree with SMASH on keeping the hard earned FP-history. Please include in the history information about the date when the mashup was FP'd. The number of listens and downloads (until the day of conversion to new site). Link to the thread where a 'learner' can find the previous versions and comments.

Another history thing is the 'number of posts' for a user. When removing a submission thread, I have lost posts, but it gives people a first impression of the experience of a commenter seeing the number of posts. Same as the 'joined since'. It would be pity if this all changes to 'joined on conversion day'.

I update the first post in my threads, called the O.P. this means that everyone can find a new version in the top post of the thread. When I make a new comment (that there is a new version). this post brings the thread to the top line of the forum first page. This is a mild form of bumping. Your post gets just under the sticky two. Please make a sticky feature, so that we can put mashoffs there, or discussions like this one on the future of the site.

I like the custom of thanking for the FP and/or comments. Unfortunately this works as bumping, effectively pushing other new submissions to the bottom (= page 2).
There are private messages on mashstix (where you can thank in private, it is not the same but still OK) they are great, but largely unknown, and you can only have 50 of them both in and out. That's not a lot.

Maybe there can be a fast lane for the submissions by moderators - after all, there is already one mod (the submitter) who thinks it it good enough. Maybe there only one promotion step is enough. When moderators thank each other for the FP (also a nice custom) because comments usually are not needed, this also bumps their fast-FP to the top again, and bumps the other submissions to the bottom. This could work with a daily fast triage system where a mod quickly decides in which lane it should go.
1. fast lane, (mods, mashoff winner, people with 50 plus mashups, real new talents)
2. some rework, (clear outro, nasty edit at 1:23, carve mental EQ a bit, put reverb on vocal)
3. tough one, but can be done (phrasing, structure, timing, one semi up or down, spot pitch)
4. totally OOK & OOT, stop it.

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:47 am

First of all, I appreciate the recommend on the issue tracker. I'll try to answer/comment on your suggestions as best as I can..

CVS wrote:I also agree on his church example. There has not been a lot of action. The number of active mods is low - of course I understand their personal priorities. Maybe it is 'over' for this site, of this way of working together in a forum. Then it is not the best time to convert

Could be but at the very least we will have a catalog of mashups that were FPed (have gone through some sort of vetting). I'd like to thing positive and hope that traffic improves, user interaction improves and amount of quality mashups increases.

CVS wrote:For me the forum is the important part of Mashstix. I admit that I check the frontpage from time to time on my mobile, but never play a song there (not my own for honest reasons, but also no others).

I understand but I am the exact opposite, I barely check the forum and instead use the FP alot to play tracks that have already been vetted.

CVS wrote:Keeping the old site up, including all history and information, would be best. I can live with a new URL for that. But I feel that you don't want to keep the old site up, because you would still have the spammer and bitcoin problem....

The /forum part will be untouched and be around just like it is now.

CVS wrote:From the tutorial section, I have copied stuff that I needed or maybe will need, but after a while I thought: it will be on the site when I need it (for instance: how to EQ a bass guitar, for the moment I do have stems of a song). Please store the tutorials somewhere.

Yea good point, they will stay on the forum. Just as they are now.

CVS wrote:The same applies to my own threads. But if you announce the 'big switch date' early enough, I can make my own backup (but if you have 13 comments on a mashup, it does not fit on one page and needs multiple saves and prints. On the other hand, if it is just short, like:
submission + great recommend + yeah great Frontpage + thanks guys
You don't NEED to store the information because it is just step 1+2+3+4

I feel like maybe I should explain the concept of the update again. The current site has a forum on the /forum url.. the other half of the site is a separate custom catalog viewer that I build with the purpose of being able to change pages (url) and the song would still play. It went a little further adding stuff to a playlist and charts and bla bla.. both parts of the site are riddled with bugs, spam and broken stuff.

Ok so the new site will no longer use the forum in any way (I'll still keep it as is on the /forum url and you can still use it and log in and whatever). The new site will be very similar to the old FP site except that it will replace the forum for user interaction and FPing tracks. It will also be 'reactive' meaning that if you post a comment, the comment number will automatically increment... this is something that the old php only way of doing things failed so hard at (ex. this forum, wordpress). We want to be more of an app than a website. Sort of like a soundcloud for mashups without all that filler crap they have.

CVS wrote:I like the pictures of users, they help me to quickly find new interesting posts and see if anyone has commented yet. please keep avatars/picture thingies

yes for sure users will have avatars and be able to upload them.

CVS wrote:Usually I need a number of revisions on mym mashups. I cannot upload to Mashstix now, so I have to put them on Dropbox and then put the URL in my mashstix post. Sometimes I forget the picture, of find a typo after submitting, or put in the wrong version number. Please make it possible to edit posts.
It will be great to post directly on Mashstix. But this CAN give you (Paul) a copyright problem ofcourse. Sowndhaus works around this with the pastiche,parody route and mention ALL sources (this could be a problem with multi mashups)

In reverse, I'm not worried about copyright as we have removed any tracks that anyone has asked to remove.. also, EVERY single FPed track has been hosted by us since I can remember. In the new version there won't be a need for soundcloud or whatever upload site as even tracks under review will be uploaded to our server. I remember heartthis got hit because they are charging people for a service.

CVS wrote:I agree with SMASH on keeping the hard earned FP-history. Please include in the history information about the date when the mashup was FP'd. The number of listens and downloads (until the day of conversion to new site). Link to the thread where a 'learner' can find the previous versions and comments.

All that stuff is coming with the FPed tracks. I won't be linking to the forum as that is way too confusing for users.

CVS wrote:Another history thing is the 'number of posts' for a user. When removing a submission thread, I have lost posts, but it gives people a first impression of the experience of a commenter seeing the number of posts. Same as the 'joined since'. It would be pity if this all changes to 'joined on conversion day'.

I suppose that would be easy to add and would basically keep comment count. I defo want to have a mod badge or something as I do think that holds weight in this community.

CVS wrote:I update the first post in my threads, called the O.P. this means that everyone can find a new version in the top post of the thread. When I make a new comment (that there is a new version). this post brings the thread to the top line of the forum first page. This is a mild form of bumping. Your post gets just under the sticky two. Please make a sticky feature, so that we can put mashoffs there, or discussions like this one on the future of the site.

Yes so, we aren't making a new forum but some parts will be forum-like.. a user uploads a track for 'under review' that 4 other tracks are posted... that original track is now fifth one shown.. now that user updates the version to version 2 and that track will be first on the list (or bumped as you say)... so forum like. Stickies on the FP don't make sense to me unless thats the way we pursue the battles at a later date.

CVS wrote:There are private messages on mashstix (where you can thank in private, it is not the same but still OK) they are great, but largely unknown, and you can only have 50 of them both in and out. That's not a lot.

if we have PMs than they will be added way later as it's a 'nice to have' but not a must.

CVS wrote:Maybe there can be a fast lane for the submissions by moderators - after all, there is already one mod (the submitter) who thinks it it good enough. Maybe there only one promotion step is enough. When moderators thank each other for the FP (also a nice custom) because comments usually are not needed, this also bumps their fast-FP to the top again, and bumps the other submissions to the bottom. This could work with a daily fast triage system where a mod quickly decides in which lane it should go.
1. fast lane, (mods, mashoff winner, people with 50 plus mashups, real new talents)
2. some rework, (clear outro, nasty edit at 1:23, carve mental EQ a bit, put reverb on vocal)
3. tough one, but can be done (phrasing, structure, timing, one semi up or down, spot pitch)
4. totally OOK & OOT, stop it.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.. users upload a track.. it goes in the 'under review' section where two mods will need to comment and FP it. I've made a couple of vids of what I have of the new site so far.. maybe you can see the ux/ui better in those.

Always appreciate any feedback and comments!

- Paul Stix

2 Star User

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:15 pm

Thanks Paul, I replied below in the order of remarks.

'd like to thing positive and hope that traffic improves, user interaction improves and amount of quality mashups increases.

agree

use the FP alot to play tracks that have already been vetted

agree, but the forum is what my remarks point to

The /forum part will be untouched and be around just like it is now.

great, that is the history and tutorials covered then

Ok so the new site will no longer use the forum in any way (I'll still keep it as is on the /forum url and you can still use it and log in and whatever). The new site will be very similar to the old FP site except that it will replace the forum for user interaction and FPing tracks.

OK, I get it, the 'replace' sounded odd at first, but now I understand. Maybe there should be a distinction in 'user' like (1) listener, (2) concept mash submitter, (3) final publisher, (4) moderator / jurymember.

if you post a comment, the comment number will automatically increment...

I think this already works on current site. But to be honest, a bump, or congrats, or even thanks for the FP should weigh/count less than a mash-submission. It would be great if the app/website whatever reacted to different kinds of posts.

yes for sure users will have avatars and be able to upload them.

if your database conversion could include the present avatars, that would increase (common, not so active) user 'acceptance' of the change, IMHO.

not worried about copyright

I am glad. Put the server in the 'right' country. Really great that tracks under review can be uploaded. I sometimes have to delete old versions from my dropbox account to make room for new submissions, that will be over then.

All that stuff (numbers, dates) is coming with the FPed tracks.

Also great. As a security / audit guy myself, I am a bit worried about the 'total number of frontpages' per mashupper that seems to be recalculated with every new one. Maybe that number is not in the database and so it has to be calculated after populating the new database.
By the way, I noted on the current website that after a frontpage, sometimes the number of posts in a corresponding threat is on '1' and then after a while, the correct number of posts in the thread appears.

Stickies on the FP don't make sense to me

I miswrote, I meant sticky on the first page with the newest posts and submissions of the current FORUM. The mashoff is on top, second one is 'how to post' (but that will become easier, I get that now).

user updates the version to version 2

Will the posts be nested, like you can do on email threads (provided they have the same subject title... if people put version numbers in new posts, that will FSU.

PMs .... will be added way later as it's a 'nice to have'

agree on nice to have, I see it as an alternative for thanking someone for help or FP or whatever, but it is better for community spirit when that stuff is out in the open. Maybe there is a possibility for a submitter to give thumbs, or hearts, or high fives to put under a post that gives you a recommend or frontpage.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here.

I think we are on the same page, but I was thinking of streamlining, redesigning some otf the process on the current site, and you are focussing on the technical implementation.
Sometimes it is clear from day 1 that a mashup is great, based on the first review (or even on the submitters name and his/her 'trackrecord'). I agree on the two mods approval for everyone. I was thinking like in a supermarket, the separate lane to pay for '6 items or less' (in mashupland: just 4-5 comments until FP).

Keep up the good work. Hell of a job, and someone has to do it. Backup !

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:03 pm

BTW, in regards to task management/todo lists... I've decided to just keep using basecamp as excel, sheets and templates were not saving me time..

https://public.3.basecamp.com/p/2fu7exq ... uoe95EUngu

Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Quick question.. for track versions..

has there every been a case where a previous version was frontpaged.. ex. a track has 4 versions and you guys decided that version 3 is the best?

Post Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:15 pm

Paul Stix wrote:Quick question.. for track versions..

has there every been a case where a previous version was frontpaged.. ex. a track has 4 versions and you guys decided that version 3 is the best?

Yes, it happens about once per 100 mashups to the Front Page (rough estimate).

Great discussion there with CVS. He's invested. :1wink:

I think the real need is to get the site up and running but don't make it live with the mashstix.com address until it has been tested by a handful of mods and power users like CVS. That's when you'll get really accurate feedback.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:18 pm

Ok made Frontpaging a two mod system as CVS suggested..

Here's vid link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL08zIgc6cs

info: I made a second mod called Moderator2@mashstix.com so we can have two mods for this demo.

this one is self explanatory so I'll just say that I used thermometer icons to give FP status. As always, I'm open to icon suggestions (big fan of font-awesome personally). If you guys want, I'll throw up a beta site for you guys to mess around in... but I'd rather not have the public on it yet.

Post Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Paul Stix wrote:Ok made Frontpaging a two mod system as CVS suggested..

Here's vid link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL08zIgc6cs

info: I made a second mod called Moderator2@mashstix.com so we can have two mods for this demo.

this one is self explanatory so I'll just say that I used thermometer icons to give FP status. As always, I'm open to icon suggestions (big fan of font-awesome personally). If you guys want, I'll throw up a beta site for you guys to mess around in... but I'd rather not have the public on it yet.

Slick.
I'm all-in for a beta version to play with. :1cool:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Site Admin

Post Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:03 pm

Ok mods, please go to the mods forum to get the beta site location.. :1grin:

- Paul Stix

PreviousNext

Return to Stix chat