[FP] Pick Up The Magic! Bruno Mars Vs. Average White Band

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

Re: Pick Up The Magic! Bruno Mars Vs. Average White Band

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:55 am

Bumped

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:00 am

Mate, you just bumped this 15 minutes ago.
And then I replied to one other mashup and yours was on second place only.
Is that really a reason to re-bump?

2 Star User

Post Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:06 am

DJAxcess wrote:Mate, you just bumped this 15 minutes ago.
And then I replied to one other mashup and yours was on second place only.
Is that really a reason to re-bump?

Sorry didn't really mean to intrude on any other artist.

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:23 pm

The mix is still good but the phrasing is still not working, unfortunately. :1cry:

2 Star User

Post Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:The mix is still good but the phrasing is still not working, unfortunately. :1cry:

V2 is probably as close as it gets, I am confused as to where to go from here, I will wait for the others to chime in, Thanks for the critique HCD.

2 Star User

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:12 am

Well ZooKeeper sent me a message via PM, He sent me a video of his version and I followed it to the best of my ability, The phrasing to my ear sounds better than the previous three versions, Comment and Critique once you get the chance! Thanks to ZooKeeper for the help!

2 Star User

Post Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:37 pm

Bumped

Post Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:28 am

First off, this combo is awesome, albeit pretty challenging. You are never short on awesome ideas. And I can really appreciate that you never back away from a challenge. I hope that you will stick with this one. I've seen/heard you make some decent improvements in your mashing abilities over the years, but I think it's safe to say that you often bite off more than you can chew and lose interest before completing the idea (I too am often guilty of this!) Please don't let this be one of those instances!

The good news is that this one is almost completely structure/phrasing. No weird key stuff or major mixing issues to deal with.

As far as this structure/phrasing, the intro is great, the word "moon" lands in a perfect spot. But when the first verse kicks in, the chord changes, which doesn't seem like an appropriate spot for a chord change, does it? The vocals are also quite a bit ahead of the beat all the way to about 1:10, where it starts to fall behind the beat (i.e. the vocal tempo is slightly too slow.) Now, the second verse comes in perfectly, right after the break. The vocals slip out of rhythm at times, but most of the second verse works. The "aiiiiir" at 2:36 landing on the chord change is nice--you should make that happen every chorus! Then, the breakdown at 2:45 is rad, but I think there are some extra beats in the original 24K at the end, so the next phrase gets pushed out of sync. Maybe cut the instrumental out for "...down like..." and bring it back in for the "ugh!"

Anyway, lots to like about this one, but lots for you to work on also. Don't quit on this one--it's dripping with potential!

P.S. Also, as your friend, please stop "Bump"ing so much! Everyone is eager to hear from the Mods, just like you! Most of us mods usually start at the bottom of the page, if not the second page, so you will not be left out. Too much bumping may increase your chances of getting overlooked, actually. Just be patient!

2 Star User

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:24 pm

To help, I made a new version using the tips in this thread.
The picture is here:
https://www52.zippyshare.com/v/0TtEkYQf/file.html
I suggested earlier to leave out the talkbox part, because the overlap did not sound right, but ZK's idea of using it acapella before the AWB-mental works great and I followed that.
Following MashGyver's anchor points that were on point in your version 4 (= the moon, the 2nd verse (that Bruno mentions) after the break, the aaaiiir on the chordchange) as well, I was able to find a better fit for the vocal on this instrumental.
I put in a guiding vocal on track 3 (volume on minus infinity, because when I mute the color changes) and cut up my Bruno vocal (slightly different from yours) in 30 places (see the markers). You can see on the right hand side that I added about 16 seconds with all these moves (of which 12 seconds is one edit).
On places where you see two markers very close, it is a 'wide' opening (mind you, we are talking milliseconds here) that I created. All the other ones are narrow. If you don't see a gap I pulled the vocal again in milliseonds to the front.
Look at the guiding vocal track. The markers should give you an idea what I call transients and help you recognise them in your instrumental and vocal.
I used the vocal part from 2:34 to 2:46 twice to fill a long gap. This fits great IMHO with the repeating backing vocals 'pick up the pieces'. Also, at the end, Bruno has finished just in time to get the BV from AWB in time.

I split the vocal in L+R both at 25% panning and put a Sony plate reverb on a send channel. You have that already better in true 70s style in your mix.
Check your Sowndhaus mail for an MP3, mashstix only allows 50 mails in AND out together and I don't have room.

Post Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Allow me to +1 the sentiment that I wish this mashup the best of luck. It's got oodles of potential. However, I don't feel that I have the skills necessary to pull this one off, so coaching you through how to do it won't be coming from me. :1undecided:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

PreviousNext

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>