No Boots! -Avicii vs. Alice Merton vs. Psy

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

No Boots! -Avicii vs. Alice Merton vs. Psy

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 am

Working on another mix I mentioned that this combination works very well, so I did a little mashup with it:

Instrumental: Avicii – Wake me up
Acapella: Alice Merton – No roots
Psy – Gangnam style

No Flash Installed

3 Star User

Re: No Boots! -Avicii vs. Alice Merton vs. Psy

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Nice idea and they really work well together. However, I got a problem with the structure here. Alice's second verse starts in in the chorus of "Wake me up" and the bridge in the upcoming breakdown feels a bit lost because it should raise the energy and prepare for the chorus while your instrumental goes down into the break... :1undecided:
I would see this version 1 more as a proof of concept and rethink the arrangement. Then it could really get a great mash. :1wink:

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:57 am

DJ Dumpz wrote:Alice's second verse starts in in the chorus of "Wake me up" and the bridge in the upcoming breakdown feels a bit lost because it should raise the energy and prepare for the chorus while your instrumental goes down into the break... :1undecided:

yep :1undecided:

Post Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:21 pm

DJ Dumpz wrote:Nice idea and they really work well together. However, I got a problem with the structure here. Alice's second verse starts in in the chorus of "Wake me up" and the bridge in the upcoming breakdown feels a bit lost because it should raise the energy and prepare for the chorus while your instrumental goes down into the break... :1undecided:
I would see this version 1 more as a proof of concept and rethink the arrangement. Then it could really get a great mash. :1wink:

An excellent critique. I concur.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:52 am

So now I've changed the arragement.

Let me know, if it works better now!!

2 Star User

Post Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:49 am

I did not hear version 1 and it is gone now from your post.
I like it from about 0:25 on, before that there seems to be a leftover bass guitar in there, and the filtering seems weird. I like the sudden, cut off guitar sound, but it is unexpected.
The instrumental seems to me start with the chorus or a variation.
From 0:25 the choruses seem right (to me, but I always have trouble with that).

I think it is quite 'loud' in places (maybe because of your limiter or compressor?) now that you combine the sources on other places, if you know what I mean. Changing structure could also mean changing volume levels, for instance with an automation (envelope) depending on what DAW you use.

I like that you also put in Gangnam Style. As an artistic remark he now 'just hangs on the end'. I do not understand the connection to Alice, but did not really listen to the English lyrics as a Dutchman. If I were you, I would have made two different mashups with the same mental. Or maybe use a catchphrase or hook from PSY earlier in the mashup as well, maybe he echoes words or parts of melody with Alice (like her ooh ooh ooh ooh) and you can use that.
Good combo-work, I like the Alice song a lot.

3 Star User

Post Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:47 pm

The structure is much better now. Good job! :1smiley:

With the rest I completely agree to CVS. There is still some room for improvements to get the most out of it :1wink:

1 star User

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:09 pm

Made some changes once more:

-Reduced the volume of the vocals.
- Threw the compression out.
(The rest compression depends on the Avicii track)
-I thought Psy would be some surprising moment. I wondered only to take the Alice Merton track, but finally decided that that's too boring.
- Sorry for the first 25 s. The instrumental version of "not roots" from which I grabbed the acapella starts later. I used the equilizer do to the best with the base quitar.

Hope I got the best of of the mix now!!!

What do you think?

1 star User

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:02 am

No further comments?
Is it optimized now?

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:31 am

It's much better than version 1, that's for sure.
However, there is a bass guitar from Alice that conflicts in the first 25 seconds and then again around 2:20. If you can get rid of that altogether it will improve things again.

Otherwise it only needs some work on balancing the levels. There are times when the instrumental really overpowers Alice, and where PSY seems to actually overpower the instrumental.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>