(!) CVS - Without Me, IDGAF (Eminem vs. Dua Lipa)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(!) CVS - Without Me, IDGAF (Eminem vs. Dua Lipa)

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:09 am

sources:
Eminem - Without Me (acapella) G minor
Dua Lipa - IDGAF (just acoustic guitar) E minor

thanks HCD for your comment on V8
I varipitched the acoustic guitar up three semitones with Audacity. Some small timing corrections in the rap, and kept it short with an edit. The energy now fits better with Eminem, the mood is 'let's do a rapsong around the campfire that will be fun'. Round the outside indeed!

No Flash Installed

download-version-nine
=====================================
TO COMPARE OLD VERSIONS AND REMARKS BELOW

thanks Satis5d for your comment on V6
Working with Mark Morrison on same Emmental (not cheese, not Eminem, but E minor :1wink: ) gave me the idea (thanks to HCD over there) to make the guitar-only-mental 3 semitones higher instead of lowering the pella. Went back to original Eminem vocal pitch and let Autotune fix small pitch difference that HCD mentioned before (on changed pitch).

No Flash Installed

thanks HCD for your comment on v5, in V6 I lowered the vocal (I think now G minor) with Autotune-transpose 3 semitones (instead of the 2 semi in V5 you heard).
Thanks Satis5d for your tips on V4
I made vocal louder.
Cut off last part of mental (@3:45 until 4:53) and found an 'ending' guitar-note from a break (probably does not 'resolve' :1undecided: Idunno)
Cut out some Eminem in the middle and made overlap with 'this looks like a job for me'. I agree, less is more (even if it's Eminem).
Kept outro vocal, but it now fits better on the mental.
Thanks Happy Cat Disco for your advanced key-tip (between Emin & Fmin) on V3.
I used Autotune EVO on that 'part of a semitone' in version 4. Transposed 2 semitones lower, keep formants, voice on 'alto', key to 'E minor' of the mental.
Thanks MashGyver for your key-tip on V2.
In version 3 I lowered vocal-volume and the pitch with Acid Pro 2 semitones from F#m to Em of mental, WITHOUT keeping formants.
Made vocal a tiny bit later in a number of places, this sounds a bit more relaxed (apart from the slowing down with 15 bpm in version 1).
More send-reverb on vocal (early reflection 1 ms) and ALSO channel-reverb (low 20 ms pre-delay) to soften vocal.
Put mental outro on its original place, so 'return of the empty break' at 4:34 - 4:42, now there is less overlap with Em's 'nya nya nya', also cut off the very last guitar part to give 'kids!!' more breathing room.
Lowered timing difference between L+R guitar tracks, to narrow the stereo (back) to improve the fit with just a 'relaxed' vocal.

to compare version 6 (transposed 3 semitones lower with Autotune)

No Flash Installed

to compare version 5: as v4, but with 'autotune' trying to get the F minor to E minor

No Flash Installed

to compare version 4: thinking vocal was F#m, I lowered 2 semitones but arrived above E

No Flash Installed

to compare version 3:

No Flash Installed

to compare version 1:

No Flash Installed

Last edited by CVS on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:05 am, edited 10 times in total.

Re: CVS - Without Me, IDGAF (Eminem vs. Dua Lipa)

Post Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:39 am

I see what you’re going for here, CVS. As much as I’ve enjoyed similar projects of yours, I don’t know that you can beautify Eminem here…The energies aren’t a great match for me, at least in its current state. Some wacky echoes on the vocal may help, but I’m not sure if I can be sold on this combo, unfortunately... :1undecided: I do like that isolated guitar part, though.

There is also some melodic content in the Eminem vocal. Namely, the intro (“Guess who’s back…”) and outro (“Nya nya nya nya nya…”) seem to be in F♯ minor. IDGAF is in E minor, right? That guitar outro seems to wander about, though, so I’m not sure what to do there.

2 Star User

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:26 am

Thanks for replying MashGyver.
HCD told me on another IDGAF-mashup that it was G major (so relative minor E minor like you said).
Earlier I thought Eminem to be G major as well, so I tried again.
But I trust your ears and have treated the vocal bits (and the rap) as F# min, so lowered them two semitones in version 3 in the O.P. This takes away a bit of the agression in his voice.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:43 am

It's sort of there. It sounds like the vocals are in between Fm and Em which is giving the appearance of sometime on and sometime off key. Hi rap is in the pocket well. Just see if you can figure out how to get those vocals key under control. :1wink:

2 Star User

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:01 am

Thanks HCD, I put Autotune on the vocal to pull it all to E minor after transposing in Autotune 2 semi down with keep formants on, instead of Acid Pro with keep formants OFF. New version 4 is in O.P.

Post Wed May 01, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm close to recommending this one. Two or three things, though...

1. To me, Eminem is too soft. I would suggest giving him a slight volume boost overall.

2. Not a fan of the ending. In fact, if there's anything that you can do to keep this under 4 minutes, I think it would help. It starts to get a bit monotonous for me.

But a good pairing, for sure. :1grin:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Post Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 am

Thanks Satis5d for your review and tips, vocal is now louder, mashup shorter, outro changed in new version in OP.

Post Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 am

Intersting idea, I like it :1smiley:

The only thing prevent me to recommend here is the "la la la" part at the end, I'm not sure if it's sitting right in key :1undecided:
Let's wait for the others.

Post Mon May 06, 2019 2:06 am

Da Da Da Dum Da Dum Da Dum Da Dums sections are still out of key.

2 Star User

Post Mon May 06, 2019 3:19 am

Thanks HCD, I lowered the vocal -2 semi in Autotune to E minor, because MashGyver heard the singing parts in F# minor.
You (HCD) pointed out that result was between E and F, so not really down to E.
Melodyne says instrumental Without Me is G minor.
This means the rap needs to be 3 semitones down! and from there autotuned to E minor.
I tried that in a new v6 (already in OP) just after you (HCD) reacting on v5.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>