Mashstix Mash-Off #73 | ALL 70s, 80s, 90s *SMASH wins!*

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Mashstix Mash-Off #73 | ALL 70s, 80s, 90s *SMASH wins!*

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Image 70s
Image 80s
Image 90s

It's time for the voting! Please cast your vote for the two mashups that you believe are the best. I used a random number generator to determine the order of the mashups so that it's not as obvious as to whose mashup is whose.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it is to create a mashup masterpiece where ALL sources are from 1970 to 1999. Any combination of years within this range is permitted, but no source may be from before 1970 or after 1999.

There's a lot of material to work with within those dates. Cover versions of songs from those dates are acceptable. Remastered versions of songs within that time period are also acceptable. However, the most important accommodation is that you are welcome to make a remake of any mashup that already exists, as long as you give it your own flair. Therefore, you don't need to worry about whether the mashup you want to make has already been done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE 5-STEP DESCRIPTION:

At the start of every month, the (newly entitled) Emperor of MashStix posts a thread containing details of the challenge, for Example: 'Mashups 90bpm or slower with the theme of love'. They should also include the '5-Step Description' and the 'FAQ'.
The post will then shortly be stickied to the top of the 'Submit Mashups' section for all to see and respond to with their entries. Entries must be in by the 20th.
A vote will be created within that thread for everyone to vote on who should win and become the new Emperor (the vote can be created by the current emperor so please don't wait for a mod to do it as we are a busy people)
On the 27th (or a day of the month at the current emperor's choice) the poll shall end and the new emperor will be chosen.

The winning track will then be featured on the Frontpage!

FAQ:

> How should I post my mashup?
Entries are to be posted in the thread using the players in the same way as you would on the main Mashstix board (i.e. via Dropbox, Hearthis, SoundCloud or your own webspace), including details of the tracks used.

> Can I use a mashup that I've made previously?
No, that would be cheating!

> What if there is a tie!?
All ties will be settled by the Emperor (sounds like a worthy title now, doesn't it?)

> I didn't win, what can I do with my mashup?
If you are particularly proud of your mashup but didn't win then feel free to post your mashup in the 'Submit Mashup' section as you ordinarily would.

> What do I do if I'm confused??
Private Message one of the moderators for assistance. Start with the Emperor.

> So the Emperor gets to choose the next challenge and settle a tiebreaker, anything else?
The Emperor will attain limitless glory for all of eternity (and bragging rights)
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: Mashstix Mash-Off #73 | ALL 70s, 80s, 90s

Post Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:31 pm

Woot great theme (although not using a modern vocal ... that'll be tough for me).

Make sure to check the tuning on those old analog sources. It's pretty common for them to get +/- 0.2 semitones when they got digitized, and it makes everything sound vaguely crappy until you fix it.

Post Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Warezio - How Will I Change (Whitney Houston vs. Michael Jackson)

Whitney Houston - How Will I Know
Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror

My AI DAW is self truck-driving.

Version 2 (mix tweaks):

No Flash Installed

Version 2 download link

2 Star User

Post Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:20 am

Awaken the Giant Within. An Anthony Robbins sample ? NLP in da house tonite ! AND used the change of Michael over the years from the mashoff brief.

1 star User

Post Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:35 am

It's been a long while, let's try this again:

Cryoclaste - I Fought the Brunes (The Clash vs. Lio)

Sources:
1. The Clash - I Fought the Law (instrumental)
2. Lio - Les brunes comptent pas pour des prunes (acapella)

Version 1

No Flash Installed

Download
Last edited by Cryoclaste on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

2 Star User

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:19 am

CVS - Another Regulator Bites (Waren G, Nate D, Mandy P vs. John D)

Another try for this 'regulator', who again, will probably....
Instrumental: Another One Bites the Dust from 1980, by Queen, but this bass-driven 109 7/8 bpm growling and pulsing ditty was written by its bassplayer John Deacon. In John D (Deere) green.
Acapella: Regulators (1994, Warren G and Nate Dogg). Warren's 'G' is probably for 'Gangsta' so to keep in style I abbreviated Nate to a 'D' in the title as well.
Sample: Mandy 'P' Patinkin is now mostly known as 'Saul B.' in Homeland (see picture) but in 1987 he starred in the movie 'The Princess Bride' where he stated, amongst other meme-worthy quotes, that some people use words they don't know the meaning of.
There is some hiss in the mental, but it fits in with a wellworn 39-year old vinyl copy used to scratch/breakmix. I did not have enough pella for the mental, so I cut out the only mixout possibility this great (great) song has.
In this mashup I speeded a pella UP, so I have to lie down now this afternoon. :1tongue:

No Flash Installed

download-v1
Last edited by CVS on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

2 Star User

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 am

Hi Cryoclaste, your MP3-player does not work for me. Difference with MP3-player in my post is that I changed the URL that I put in the player, from
http://www.dropbox.com to
dl.dropbox.com
to make it more download-ready (I do it with the separate download link as well).

1 star User

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:56 am

CVS wrote:Hi Cryoclaste, your MP3-player does not work for me. Difference with MP3-player in my post is that I changed the URL that I put in the player, from
http://www.dropbox.com to
dl.dropbox.com
to make it more download-ready (I do it with the separate download link as well).

It goes to show that I've lost the Mashstix touch, haha
Thank you CVS, it's fixed now :1wink:

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:18 am

SMASH - Big Tiger Love In Japan (Alphaville vs. Pat Benatar vs. Survivor vs. Frankie Goes to Hollywood vs. INXS)

Instrumental & Vocals: Alphaville - Big In Japan (1984) [Remix Version]
Vocals: Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield (1983)
Vocals: Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger (1982)
Vocals: Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax (1984)
Vocals: INXS - Need You Tonight (1987)

No Flash Installed

1 star User

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:27 pm

Remember me amigos?... :1laugh:

Don Hector - Smooth Criminal in Miami (Michael Jackson vs Will Smith)

Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal [Acapella] {1987}
Will Smith - Miami [Instrumental] {1997}
Queen - Another One Bites the Dust [Instrumental Loop] {1980}

V1

No Flash Installed

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>