Famous Last Sh-Boom(My Chemical Romance vs The Chords)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Famous Last Sh-Boom(My Chemical Romance vs The Chords)

Post Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:28 pm

"Famous Last Sh-Boom"
Sources:
My Chemical Romance - Famous Last Words DIY Acapella
The Chords - Sh-Boom Original
The Chords - Sh-Boom Karaoke

thought it would be funny to take an emo song and mash it with this classic doo wop track :1laugh:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/yqv ... 9.mp3?dl=0

No Flash Installed

V2

No Flash Installed

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/g78 ... 2.mp3?dl=0
Last edited by tatertraps on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Famous Last Sh-Boom(My Chemical Romance vs The Chords)

Post Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:29 pm

The acapella seems to be breaking up at times. I'm not sure if the source material is faulty or if you've stretched and pitched it too far. The combo has merit if you can improve the vocals.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:11 pm

satis5d wrote:The acapella seems to be breaking up at times. I'm not sure if the source material is faulty or if you've stretched and pitched it too far. The combo has merit if you can improve the vocals.

Hey
Thanks for taking a listen. yeah, its a diy acapella,
I really didn't have to stretch it much so i don't think that's the prob,
I'll see if I can find a better one to work with.

2 Star User

Post Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:56 am

Agree with Satis5d on the combo that is great. It got me enthusiastic in trying to help below. :1smiley:

on the acapella
1. Found this version, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTkYMpSK7V0 It's not only vocal (also guitar) and has a lot of backgroundnoise in parts of the 5.10 total length, but maybe it is another one than you used.
2. Another approach is to mask and make the vocal sound more like a barbershop group, with high, low, double voices made from the original. A VST like Vielklang (German for 'lot of sounds') could help you there making harmonies.
3. Or with Melodyne (demo), but if you have THAT you could also edit out the guitar blobs and so on and 'clean' the acapella, for instance like they do over here (with a Adèle song) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FScFKuXXM0
4. Instead of mask it, you can make the 'problem' even bigger (turn a weakness in a strength). In New Orleans Jazz (not totally the same, I know) they sometimes sing through a megaphone with a very thinny sound, but loud over the music. Maybe that fits with an old recording like the doowop?

artistic remarks
4. The instrumental hook about @1:33 could be put in front of the mashup, before the acapella intro, as an introduction to the now acapella intro.
5. The instrumental sounds almost mono to me, narrower than the vocal. I use a multitap delay on a instrumental like that, with two taps, one panned L-100%, the other R-100%. The second repeat is with me often about 8 to 15 miliseconds later, this makes the track sound 'wide' (higher in mili is wider). Watch out, because the 'early' side will sound louder (this is called the HAAS-effect, sounds that are closer sound louder, so your brain thinks if it is loud, it must be close). And playing the mashup in mono will combine the L+R channels, this can make the track too loud in the mashup. (Fix With Fader, of course).
6. There is something strange about the delay on 'I'm go-ing HOME home home' at about @1:30, like it is not in time with the instrumental part? You can leave the last word (home) out, and keep the same meaning of the lyric. At the end @2.37, the 'home' fits better over the doowop backing vocals.

1 star User

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:22 am

Thanks for all the great suggestions! super helpful as always. I'm gonna try to take some time this weekend to work on it again. Hopefully have a V2 sometime next week

CVS wrote:Agree with Satis5d on the combo that is great. It got me enthusiastic in trying to help below. :1smiley:

on the acapella
1. Found this version, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTkYMpSK7V0 It's not only vocal (also guitar) and has a lot of backgroundnoise in parts of the 5.10 total length, but maybe it is another one than you used.
2. Another approach is to mask and make the vocal sound more like a barbershop group, with high, low, double voices made from the original. A VST like Vielklang (German for 'lot of sounds') could help you there making harmonies.
3. Or with Melodyne (demo), but if you have THAT you could also edit out the guitar blobs and so on and 'clean' the acapella, for instance like they do over here (with a Adèle song) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FScFKuXXM0
4. Instead of mask it, you can make the 'problem' even bigger (turn a weakness in a strength). In New Orleans Jazz (not totally the same, I know) they sometimes sing through a megaphone with a very thinny sound, but loud over the music. Maybe that fits with an old recording like the doowop?

artistic remarks
4. The instrumental hook about @1:33 could be put in front of the mashup, before the acapella intro, as an introduction to the now acapella intro.
5. The instrumental sounds almost mono to me, narrower than the vocal. I use a multitap delay on a instrumental like that, with two taps, one panned L-100%, the other R-100%. The second repeat is with me often about 8 to 15 miliseconds later, this makes the track sound 'wide' (higher in mili is wider). Watch out, because the 'early' side will sound louder (this is called the HAAS-effect, sounds that are closer sound louder, so your brain thinks if it is loud, it must be close). And playing the mashup in mono will combine the L+R channels, this can make the track too loud in the mashup. (Fix With Fader, of course).
6. There is something strange about the delay on 'I'm go-ing HOME home home' at about @1:30, like it is not in time with the instrumental part? You can leave the last word (home) out, and keep the same meaning of the lyric. At the end @2.37, the 'home' fits better over the doowop backing vocals.

1 star User

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:13 am

re did the mashup thanks for all the suggestions CVS,
I fixed the stereo issue on the instrumental and i used that second acapella to try and fix the vocals .

1 star User

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Hilarious combo. V2 Sounds better to me but I still hope you'll somehow find a better quality acapella. I like what you did with the word "can't" at 1:02 :1wink: I think you can still tighten up the sync in the verses - sometimes it sounds a bit to early or late. Good job tho!

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>