molave - Mariage de Trois (J. Derulo, R. Platten, Lorde)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

molave - Mariage de Trois (J. Derulo, R. Platten, Lorde)

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:40 pm

molave - Mariage de Trois (Jason Derulo vs. Rachel Platten vs. Lorde)

Jason Derulo - Marry Me Instrumental
Rachel Platten - Fight Song Acapella
Lorde - Royals Acapella

Most Pleasant Surprise: Marry Me and Fight Song's intros are nigh identical to my ears
Most Challenging Portion: Pitch work at 0:53

Latest Version

No Flash Installed

v1

No Flash Installed

v2

No Flash Installed

v3

No Flash Installed

v4

No Flash Installed

Last edited by molave on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Re: molave - Mariage de Trois (J. Derulo, R. Platten, Lorde)

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:35 am

Nice combo, I like it :1cool:

molave wrote:Most Challenging Portion: Pitch work at 0:53

I think you pass that spot, but it looks like the big challenge is Lorde @1:14 -2:06, i'm not sure, but maybe i'm hearing some key issues there (a fifth maybe??) :1undecided:
There is also a strange noise @2:37, probably some left over from the "Fight Song" acapella :1wink:

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 am

SMASH wrote:I think you pass that spot, but it looks like the big challenge is Lorde @1:14 -2:06, i'm not sure, but maybe i'm hearing some key issues there (a fifth maybe??)

It's Dmix vs. G, I ran into this with "Can't Stop This Photograph", it's hard to fix.

Sometimes it works (e.g., "we don't care" @ 1:19 is good) and sometimes it doesn't ("every song is like" @ 1:14 doesn't sound good to me).

I think you'll have to go in and individually pitch shift notes.

1 star User

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:12 pm

SMASH wrote:Nice combo, I like it :1cool:

Thanks!

SMASH wrote:There is also a strange noise @2:37, probably some left over from the "Fight Song" acapella :1wink:

Do you mean the quick percussion segment in the background that extends to around 2:50? That's part of Marry Me.

warezio wrote:
SMASH wrote:I think you pass that spot, but it looks like the big challenge is Lorde @1:14 -2:06, i'm not sure, but maybe i'm hearing some key issues there (a fifth maybe??)

It's Dmix vs. G, I ran into this with "Can't Stop This Photograph", it's hard to fix.

Sometimes it works (e.g., "we don't care" @ 1:19 is good) and sometimes it doesn't ("every song is like" @ 1:14 doesn't sound good to me).

I think you'll have to go in and individually pitch shift notes.

V2 is up. All of Lorde's segments is put under automatic pitch correction at G Major. Let's check what happens.

Edit: That's a good catch. That never reached my attention while making this.

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:38 pm

I loved version 2 until it got to 1:14. :1undecided:
In my opinion, Lorde is unworkable in this mix. I wish it was different, because the energy is great throughout.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 pm

satis5d wrote:I loved version 2 until it got to 1:14. :1undecided:
In my opinion, Lorde is unworkable in this mix. I wish it was different, because the energy is great throughout.

I think I made a mistake in that part. It had two FXs in the following order

1. Tune to G Major
2. Slightly raise formants to make it sound less 'deep' in relation to Fight Song.

I reversed this order so that the tune FX would take into account the increased formants.

V3 is up

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:43 pm

molave wrote:1. Tune to G Major

I'm not sure this will do anything useful. Dmix and G have the same scale, it's just the tonal center is different.

Maybe up Lorde 5 semitones and then autotune to G (from Gmix) or maybe autotune isn't necessary at that point sometimes mix-over-major can work if you get lucky. Of course up 5 semitones can really wreck an acapella.

An alternative to transposition is to rearrange the Lorde acapella to make it center around G. This is very challenging, but cool if you can do it.

1 star User

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:05 pm

warezio wrote:
molave wrote:1. Tune to G Major

I'm not sure this will do anything useful. Dmix and G have the same scale, it's just the tonal center is different.

Maybe up Lorde 5 semitones and then autotune to G (from Gmix) or maybe autotune isn't necessary at that point sometimes mix-over-major can work if you get lucky. Of course up 5 semitones can really wreck an acapella.

An alternative to transposition is to rearrange the Lorde acapella to make it center around G. This is very challenging, but cool if you can do it.

Forgive my ignorance. I tinkered with my project moving some of the Royals vocals five notes forward/backward and it did sound better.

Need feedback in this: Is the problematic part with Lorde's segments between 1:14-1:31 only? The others appear to be fine (i.e. moving them around or raising by five semitones is less harmonious pitch-wise).

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

None of the players are working for me at the moment, unfortunately. If they’re dropbox links then there may not be anything wrong with them. Just half the time the computer I’m on won’t play them… :1huh:

But I see warezio’s comments and I can confirm that Royals is mostly in D Mixolydian, which as he said, has the same key signature as G major, and will simply snap to the G major scale if you pitch-correct it, but it still will not sound quite right because D is “home”. Warezio’s advice is right on--if you raised them 5 semitones and they don’t sound bizarre then you might have a winner here. I’ll try listening from another computer when I get a chance...

Post Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Version 3 is definitely an improvement. However, I'm still not buying Lorde's part in this. She still sounds OOK to me.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>