(FP)Remember The Finesse (Michael Jackson vs Bruno Mars)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP)Remember The Finesse (Michael Jackson vs Bruno Mars)

Post Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 pm

What I thought was an obvious pairing (and I'm probably not the first to do it), the instrumental of Finesse by Bruno Mars feat Cardi B and the Vocals from Remember The Time by Michael Jackson.

It was knocked up in about 20 minutes, so probably needs to be polished up, but I really enjoy the track and like the result.

Let me know what you think.

No Flash Installed

Download

EDIT: This file has been updated with the modified instrumental structure, some key changes to the vocals towards the end and a new EQ on the acapella to try and make it more natural sounding. I've also added a download link. :1grin:
Last edited by DJSimonster on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Remember The Finesse (Michael Jackson vs Bruno Mars)

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:40 am

hi Simonster,

great combo, the acapella could be treated with an Eq to sit better in the mix, i also think you can level it up a bit.
Be careful, some "remember the time" by the choir are out of key (at 3.09 for exemple)

2 Star User

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:30 am

Hey, great mash here. Liking a lot. My suggestion is during th MJ chorus I think it needs the instrumental part from 41 seconds to 59 seconds behind him. This section is a more fuller segment of the instrumental and would sit better on his chorus.

3 Star User

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:44 am

WAT?! You made a mash that sounds near identical to the original track ;) I had to check I wasn't being trolled :1laugh:

If Jacko was alive Bruno would be being sued...

1 star User

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:50 pm

DRA'man wrote:hi Simonster,

great combo, the acapella could be treated with an Eq to sit better in the mix, i also think you can level it up a bit.
Be careful, some "remember the time" by the choir are out of key (at 3.09 for exemple)

Since uploading I keep noticing artifacts in the acapella of MJ. I can't find a clean vocal, all of them have a drum beat or click to some extent, some faint instruments and the backing vocals mixed with the lead which is making any attempt to change anything within the backing vocals a pain.

bjrexpert wrote:Hey, great mash here. Liking a lot. My suggestion is during th MJ chorus I think it needs the instrumental part from 41 seconds to 59 seconds behind him. This section is a more fuller segment of the instrumental and would sit better on his chorus.

Absolutely, it was literally a throw the 2 tracks side by side. I have tried shuffling the instrumental around as you suggested and it does have a more natural feel. When I can sort the artifacts out and rebalance, I will reupload the track.

If anyone has a decent set of vocal stems for MJ, I would appreciate the help.

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:32 am

Very natural-sounding combo, Simonster! For a 20-minute job, this is pretty impressive!

The mix sounds pretty good. There’s something lacking in the energy of the vocals, but I can’t put my finger on it. May not be fixable even if we can identify it. Wait for one of the others to chime in that.

As far as the chords near the end that DRA’man is referring to, you can probably make those work by re-pitching every other whole “remember the time” lyric down 1 semitone…so the ones that start at 3:09, 3:16, 3:25, and 3:35, but not the ones in between. MJ’s ad libs there will go down a semitone too, but they should stay in key. Otherwise, you may want to just remove that whole section altogether.

DJSimonster wrote:If anyone has a decent set of vocal stems for MJ, I would appreciate the help.
Don’t think they’re out there, unfortunately. I could be wrong.

1 star User

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:54 pm

Many thanks everyone for the advice, I have now uploaded a new version and replaced the link in the OP.

I managed to only lose one adlib (3 words) from MJ changing the backing vocals. I think it sounds so much better with the instrumental rearranged too.

:1grin:

Post Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:31 pm

The vocal harmonies sound great now! Did you end up bringing them down a semitone after all? Or did you do something else?

Whatever you did, it gets my vote:

1 star User

Re: (!)Remember The Finesse (Michael Jackson vs Bruno Mars)

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 am

I tried changing the key and they just didn't work. So realising that it was every other harmony that went out of key, I spliced in backing vocals for the affected notes from elsewhere in the track. By being careful about where they were mixed in, I was able to only lose one MJ adlib too.

Re: (!)Remember The Finesse (Michael Jackson vs Bruno Mars)

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:22 am

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>