4/4 vocal over a 3/4 instrumental?

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.
2 Star User

4/4 vocal over a 3/4 instrumental?

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:55 pm

I Just wanted to know how to do this exactly probably just edit out the 4th beat and make the vocal swing? For example if I wanted to put a 3/4 beach boys song with a 4/4 linkin park song what advice would you give? I looked at a thread and they said well if both songs are the same tempo everything should fall into place but I imagine the timing would sound out of place and awkward without the proper editing, I was just wondering how to achieve this thanks again!

1 star User

Re: 4/4 vocal over a 3/4 instrumental?

Post Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:01 pm

I can think of two scenarios.
I've heard someone do Kraftwerk by cutting out beat 4 and so you could potentially do that and swing music to the vocal.
The other way I can think of is to do vocals to beats 1-3, then put some delay/echo type effect on to fill the gap and make it work that way.

You could potentially go more macro level, and if the verses/choruses work, just go with A vs B.

Are you sure 3/4 not 6/8? I use Mansun's Negative as a 6/8 example in my head for if I can make something work e.g. if it it fits to that music it could work ...

2 Star User

Re: 4/4 vocal over a 3/4 instrumental?

Post Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Ian Fondue wrote:I can think of two scenarios.
I've heard someone do Kraftwerk by cutting out beat 4 and so you could potentially do that and swing music to the vocal.
The other way I can think of is to do vocals to beats 1-3, then put some delay/echo type effect on to fill the gap and make it work that way.

You could potentially go more macro level, and if the verses/choruses work, just go with A vs B.

Are you sure 3/4 not 6/8? I use Mansun's Negative as a 6/8 example in my head for if I can make something work e.g. if it it fits to that music it could work ...

What would you do with 4/4 over 6/8?, I never was that good with making straight 4/4 vocals swing, So the method with the instrumental sounds more preferable to me.

2 Star User

And you ask that as a hard thing to do?

Post Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:26 pm

TheRayMan wrote:I Just wanted to know how to do this exactly probably just edit out the 4th beat and make the vocal swing? For example if I wanted to put a 3/4 beach boys song with a 4/4 linkin park song what advice would you give? I looked at a thread and they said well if both songs are the same tempo everything should fall into place but I imagine the timing would sound out of place and awkward without the proper editing, I was just wondering how to achieve this thanks again!

Now that's a heck of a clash, first of all!

Ian Fondue wrote:I can think of two scenarios.

Actually, the last option may be a bit too much for some mashup producers, though for me it's the easiest way.

Yet, there's a 4th and 5th options, in this case, and it will depend of what he (TheRayMan) wants to do here:

4th - go through looping the last beats of the 3/4 segments and turn it into a 4/4 phased instrumental, being the rest easy to blend naturally with the vocals;

5th - turn the vocals into 3/4 instead, by speed-boosting the last 2 beats of those by between 25% and/or 50% (depending of the said instrumental track and the intended result, these values may be applied on the same vocal track sequentially)

And, knowing TheRayMan's mashups as I know, I would say that the 4th option is the best for getting FP'ed AND satisfied at the same time.
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center