Fab Filter MB Multiband To Fix DIY Vocal Issues

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.

Fab Filter MB Multiband To Fix DIY Vocal Issues

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:34 am

Fab Filter MB Multiband

NOTE: If you never used something like this don't worry. You can potential fix a DIY peak with one click on this plug-in. The video is way more in depth about all of the options.

I've been using this recently to control many of the "peaky" and "tinny" issues for DIY or older era acapellas. There is a lot you can do with this as the video shows, but for us one of the main uses would be controlling the harsh peaks without an EQ'd destruction of clarity. Very similar to a De-Esser but with way more control and range as well as expansion to fill out the thinner low-mid issues. It's also useful for controlling harsh peaks after adding distortion effects.

I often see the following order of plug ins to fix common DIY issues.
  • Limiter for word clarity (+4 or more gain with an infinite ratio depending on the instrumental strength/loudness)
  • De-Esser around 7.3k (could be lower depending on the singer)
  • De-Esser around 10.2k (could be lower depending on the singer)
  • EQ notch down around 11k or 12k a few dB with a thin Q (48-90) if the DIY has artifacts up there.
  • EQ to the instrumental to add clarity and/or remove muddiness and high-hat leaks.
  • Multi-band (Below) to expand lows for more fullness. Typically there is a DIY peaky problem somewhere between 2.5 and 5k. The typical sweet-spot is 3.5 where our hearing is most sensitive. Important: If you can't find that peakiness area by ear, it's probably around 1k! 900Hz to 1k issues are common with Melodyne artifacts.
  • EQ final, subtle touches
  • Add Time based effects (Reverb or Echo)

phpBB [media]

Re: Fab Filter MB Multiband To Fix DIY Vocal Issues

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am

Cool stuff, HCD! You might even say it was fab! Thanks for sharing.

Does Fab Filter work as a stand-alone application, like Melodyne, for instance? My computer hasn’t allowed me much success with the Plug-In route…

Also, I would add that running the DIY through a Noise Gate as the very first step to clean up any faint instrumental artifacts can be pretty helpful, if not just manually editing every single one out. Any thoughts on doing this, HCD?

Lastly, I feel like some of the DIY’s I’ve come across are high-passed or low-passed and are just missing some of those key sibilance or “fullness” frequencies as a result. Any ideas on what to do there? Is that a job for a Harmonic Exciter or something fancy like that?

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:13 pm

MashGyver wrote:Does Fab Filter work as a stand-alone application, like Melodyne, for instance? My computer hasn’t allowed me much success with the Plug-In route…
I've only used it as a plug-in.

MashGyver wrote:Also, I would add that running the DIY through a Noise Gate as the very first step to clean up any faint instrumental artifacts can be pretty helpful, if not just manually editing every single one out. Any thoughts on doing this, HCD?
That depends on the instrumental leak. Sometimes it's better to leave it in if removing it is too noticeable.

MashGyver wrote:Lastly, I feel like some of the DIY’s I’ve come across are high-passed or low-passed and are just missing some of those key sibilance or “fullness” frequencies as a result. Any ideas on what to do there? Is that a job for a Harmonic Exciter or something fancy like that?
You can use Fab Filter MB to expand the high end but if the audio is completely destroyed you cant do much. I would be careful using too much Exciter on your high end. Anything other than subtly could create over pressured, thin and phase artifacts.
Listen to the exciter samples in this article.

I've also had success filling out mid-lows with the Ozone Exciter as well as MB Expansion.

3 Star User

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 am

WOW o.O

So I ran compressor, de-ess, notch top, then phased to bring sum top end back - got a vaguely improved track.

THEN I turned it all off, loaded up a trial of Fab Filter, hit the expanded & Sibilance control setting and BANG twice as good a result - no comparison in fact and zero effort for a good result. I imagine that with some time FabFilter n me are going to fall in love :1wink:

2 Star User

Post Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks a lot for this tutorial HCD :1cool:
I thought i was covered in plugins buying the Ni komplete bundle, i guess not! :1shocked:
This looks really great, im downloading my "try before buy" Package right now..
After watching the vid. i found out that this is covering most of the individual plugs. that i use..
I cant wait to get my hands and ears on this bundle. !
Hope the sound quality match my expectations on this one ?

Thanks for the Pro tip HCD :1smiley:

The only thing i noticed :
MashGyver wrote:
Also, I would add that running the DIY through a Noise Gate as the very first step to clean up any faint instrumental artifacts can be pretty helpful
HCD:
That depends on the instrumental leak. Sometimes it's better to leave it in if removing it is too noticeable.

This would be my first step as well, but it is a question of amount you're applying it or ??
I mean, ive had some pretty good clean up on a DIY pella by only using a gate..
Can you please elaborate why this approch should be avoided ?

Thanks again for a superb tut. HCD, and sorry for my crappy English.. I'm from Norway :1tongue:

Post Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Their EQ is the best as well.

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center