Mixolydian Tips, Tricks, and Pitfalls

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.
2 Star User

Mixolydian Tips, Tricks, and Pitfalls

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:32 am

I've got a Mixolydian. I've been treating it like the major with the same key signature (i.e., a fifth below), which seems to be working ok, perhaps some spot pitching required. However I was hoping for a general checklist of "things to watch out for" like we have for the fifths issue.

Any general suggestions?

Re: Mixolydian Tips, Tricks, and Pitfalls

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Well, chances are, if you mash it like it's relative major you're gonna end up with the "fifthy" sound because the melody will resolve to the wrong notes. If it truly is in Mixolydian Mode its tonic or keynote will not be the same as that of its relative major, despite the scales sharing all the same notes. Again there are exceptions if the melody always resolves to its tonic, or the chord progression is compatible.

Your best bet is probably to try and mash it with something with the same tonic. You'll find with Mixolydian you may be able to mash it with the parallel major, minor, or Dorian. Mixo can be pretty versatile--you may need to tweak a few notes of course. And of course if you can find a matching Mixo track you can mash with that.

I've considered writing a Tutorial/Reference Guide on some of this advanced harmony "mashmatics" encompassing a few of the other modes and scales but my thought was that it might be a bit much for the average masher. If you think it would be useful let me know.

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:00 pm

I have several years of classical music training and I've been reading comments posted here for the better part of two years about Mixolydian scales, and frankly, I still have no clue what y'all are talking about! :1huh: I guess I've just been too lazy to look it up.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

2 Star User

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:51 pm

MashGyver wrote:I've considered writing a Tutorial/Reference Guide on some of this advanced harmony "mashmatics" encompassing a few of the other modes and scales but my thought was that it might be a bit much for the average masher. If you think it would be useful let me know.

It would definitely be useful.

As far as accessibility to the average masher (i.e., anybody like me without music theory training), it really depends upon how you write it. The beauty here is that you could embed audio examples of things working and not working. Add to that some example with tips on how to identify these strange scales and you'll have a winner.

A video might be even more effective, e.g., this how to find the key of any song has more than 1 million views. If it's "MashGyver's Mashup Theory" video series, crosspromoting your mashups at the same time, then boom it's fire.

Maybe Mixolydian wouldn't be the first video to make ... there seems to be plenty of content for a "major and minor scales" first video (titled something like "how to choose songs that will mash well together"), which could include discussion of the fifth.

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:20 pm

MashGyver wrote:I've considered writing a Tutorial/Reference Guide on some of this advanced harmony "mashmatics" encompassing a few of the other modes and scales but my thought was that it might be a bit much for the average masher. If you think it would be useful let me know.

If you put something like this tutorial on steem (steemit.com) you'd probably earn yourself some money. They eat stuff up like that.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:37 pm

warezio wrote:A video might be even more effective, e.g., this how to find the key of any song has more than 1 million views. If it's "MashGyver's Mashup Theory" video series, crosspromoting your mashups at the same time, then boom it's fire.
satis5d wrote:If you put something like this tutorial on steem (steemit.com) you'd probably earn yourself some money. They eat stuff up like that.
Interesting ideas. I have to admit, making video tutorials is a bit intimidating to me, but I could definitely see the cross-promotional benefit of that stuff. And if I could manage to use non-copyrighted music in my videos I might be able to reel in like $1.75! :1grin:

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center