Least Lossy Format/Workflow

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.
2 Star User

Least Lossy Format/Workflow

Post Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:49 am

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this is obvious to most, but I am wondering how best to handle working with YT rips?

I usually grab the webm / m4a using flashgot in Firefox, then open in Audacity & save out as 32bit wav & import to DAW(Live9). Once done I export whole project as 24bit wav 44100 then create a 320kbps mp3 in Audacity...

So is the rip handling reasonably optimal prior to use in DAW? and what export settings do others use from their DAW / then how do you create an optimal MP3 when exporting Audacity?

Am I doing stuff badly that may affect quality via my lack of knowledge? The results sound ok to me, but just wanted to see if there's a better way I'm missing 'cos I found a way that works

Cheers!

Re: Least Lossy Format/Workflow

Post Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:28 am

https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/mp3-converter

I typically use that because they give the option to export as a wav.

That said, doing a real time recording into your DAW of the video while it plays would be the best. Your objective should be to remove as many "generation" conversions as possible. Every time you convert to mp3 you lose some of you high-end and add artifacts. The more "generation" conversions the more noticeable this becomes.

Best practice is to bounce your final tracks as a wave or aiff then one last convert to 320 mp3 for uploading to your site.

As for your DAW session sample rate, it's better to use the higher values (48/24bit) for any plugin processing. Reverbs and dynamics will sound better with the higher bit and SR's. Keep in mind, if the source low quality to begin with you will not make it sound any better by upping the quality. Only the things you add, like reverbs, will sound better because they are additive.

Example of MP3 generational artifacts

First generation mp3. Clarity in the fret and string noise and very positional.
phpBB [media]

Third or more generation mp3. Listen to the guitar. There is no longer air/breath and the position is obscure. There are also digital artifacts wide left and right.
phpBB [media]

2 Star User

Re: Least Lossy Format/Workflow

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:43 am

Thank you. It seems I've not been doing too badly by accident \o/ :)

Will do a comparison of Flashgot Vs mp3-converter, but I believe FlashGot (firefox extension i just swap browsers for ripping) downloads the underlying original file (webm/ m4a/whatever) and my internet connection is pants so converting to wav locally is a good option in this case I suppose.

I'll test see if there's a qualitative difference though in case.

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center