How to make mashups virtual-surround-ready?

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.
1 star User

How to make mashups virtual-surround-ready?

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:16 pm

My laptop has a virtual surround feature from Nahimic 2 that made some of my older mashups sound bad and bring to surface EQ imbalances on some of the newer ones. How can we master our tracks so that it would sound great even with virtual surround enabled?

Re: How to make mashups virtual-surround-ready?

Post Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:14 am

As far as I understand, master/EQ a track to sound great on a normal setup and then it will sound just as good in virtual-surround as any other track. What do you use to EQ/master normally? Is it a good set of headphones/studio monitors or just some run-of-the-mill laptop speakers? If it's the latter then chances are you're EQ/mastering your track to sound great on your laptop but to other sets of speakers (or yours with 'virtual surround' enabled) you can hear imperfections. That's why producers invest in headphones/speakers with the flattest possible sound so when they EQ/Master it, it will not only sound good on their speakers but also every other system someone will have. However master/EQ on a hi-fi/laptop speaker/dj headphone/etc setup then chances are if you hook it up to some studio monitors you'll hear some imperfections.

Surround sound, however, is another aspect all together.

Not sure if i've helped :1laugh:

1 star User

Re: How to make mashups virtual-surround-ready?

Post Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:00 pm

I use my headphones when making mashups. Hmm, looks like what I should do next is add "sound system with virtual surround" on the lists of configurations to test before releasing future work.

Thanks for the help :)

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center