YITTeo: Making Vocals POP

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.

YITTeo: Making Vocals POP

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:04 am

Thought I'd put this here. It's barbarically simple, yet SUPER effective! Sorry about hypercam audio, but you'll hear the point of the video well enough.

(If you have Ableton, this is straightforward to see how to do. If you use anything else, just pick the same 2 effects I used here and do them to the percentages I showed on the dials in the vid, or play with it as you like)

phpBB [media]
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Re: YITTeo: Making Vocals POP

Post Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:00 am

That's Great YITT. Thank you! :1smiley:

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:55 am

YITT,

I don't use Ableton (which makes the references difficult) but even at full-screen I can't read the words from your screen in the video. Any chance you could make a new version with your voice in it explaining what's happening? I'd love to know what you did here.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:38 pm

satis5d wrote:YITT,

I don't use Ableton (which makes the references difficult) but even at full-screen I can't read the words from your screen in the video. Any chance you could make a new version with your voice in it explaining what's happening? I'd love to know what you did here.

You watching it in HD 720p? Make sure you are because it makes it quite readable (on my screen anyway) :1smiley:

Post Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:35 pm

satis5d wrote:
Any chance you could make a new version with your voice in it explaining what's happening? I'd love to know what you did here.

How about a transcription?

First he applies Reverb, then sets the Input Processing to a "sweet spot" I'm sure he's found in the past, at 174Hz x 2.63 (not sure what those parameters are actually referring to, but Ableton makes it really easy to just play with knobs and sliders until you get the sound you want.)
Then, he sets the Quality to "High", and sets the Wet/Dry ratio to 37% Wet.

He then applies a Simple Delay, sets it to the "time" setting so that he can set the delay time manually, rather than have it follow the tempo of the track, and sets it at 136 milliseconds. Then he sets the Wet/Dry to 20% wet.

Then he basically disables the effects, and re-enables them a few times to illustrate the contrast.

Hope that helps. Ableton is remarkably easy to use; all the parameters can be overwhelming but sometimes just finding "sweet spots" like in this video can go a long way.

Good video, YITT! Thanks for posting!

Post Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:11 am

Yep, that's exactly right.

Tasteful reverb (even more than tasteful sometimes) and a slight delay works magic on vocals.

This particular combo in the video is my favorite. Unfortunately, hypercam's audio encoding didn't seem to do it justice.
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Post Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:53 am

Dang! Now that I have upgraded my computer I wanted to see this video in HD, but it says the video no longer exists. Any chance it can be re-posted?
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center