Acapella (and instrumental?) help please!

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.
1 star User

Acapella (and instrumental?) help please!

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:44 am

Hi, I recently downloaded VirtualDJ 7 and made an instrumental https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmW1Ju6CA10 and an acapella https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49WiQU_ysa8 of Something In My House by Dead Or Alive using the quick vocal effect thing. I guess the instrumental is ok but you can still hear a bit of the vocals. The acapella, well... the vocals are a bit more prominent but you can still hear the instruments. I have no idea how to improve it and I've tried audacity but it wouldn't work :1undecided: can anyone please help? And is there anyway the instrumental can be improved as well or nah? I'm not a professional in any of this lol. Here's the original song if it helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZKNzs35GP8.

In my previous thread on stix chat, someone said that I should do the mashup with this song and Thriller myself (originally meant for Halloween but I guess most Halloween hits weren't released on Halloween right? lol) but I'll need mixcraft and I don't know which version to get... as well as the acapella of SIMH being more of an acapella than it is lol

2 Star User

Re: Acapella (and instrumental?) help please!

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:26 am

You don't have to get mixcraft their are a lot of other great mashup software that people use. Firth made that video 5 years ago and now I think he uses Ableton Live.
Brewing up some of your favorite morning mixes.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:46 am

First off, most of us (and by which I mean almost everyone) use acapellas/instrumentals that already exist and don't make our own, purely because it turns out not great, as you have just found.

Do some google searching, find some forms and get scouting for the best sources - it sucks not being able to have an instrumental and acapella for every song but there's nothing you can really do about it (except try to make your own, which usually won't sound that great).

I started off with Mixcraft and it was a great tool for me to begin my process of actually becoming a decent producer. I definitely found it more beginner friendly than other software, and it's also I believe much cheaper. Whether it's the best is completely up to your preferences. There's no 'best' software to use, just depends on you.

However yeah, you can get a free trial on mixcraft's website so I would recommend downloading that and trying it out to see what you think, and if this is a hobby you want to get in to. There are plenty of tutorials out there though for all means of software and producing so plenty of places to find help if you're confused, here included. :1smiley:

1 star User

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:38 am

@DJ J-Brew ok but I guess I'll do the free trial version at least...

@DJ Firth damn, well I did look everywhere for the instrumental and acapella versions of SIMH but found nothing. There is a remix/extended version of the song where the word "haunted" gets repeated twice and the second one is an acapella... I have no idea how the person managed to do that lol :1huh: I guess I'll have to make do with what I have for now. Wow cool! Yeah I guess I'll do the free trial version since by watching your video, it looks like something simple to use. I might post a draft here to see what you guys think and if I need any improvement. Thanks! :1smiley:

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:10 am

LeprechaunJackson wrote: I might post a draft here to see what you guys think and if I need any improvement. Thanks! :1smiley:

Of course, that is ultimately what this forum is for :1grin:

1 star User

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:06 am

lmao! :1laugh: uhh just one problem though, I did download mixcraft 7 from the acoustica website but apparently it's a virus and AVG removed it :1shocked: :1huh: :1undecided: but I did manage to do a bit of something on VirtualDJ. There's 2 versions of it though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1 star User

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:07 am

And here's version 2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:16 am

Well tell AVG to go screw itself :1laugh:

As long as you download it from the Acoustica website then there's no virus there.

You might be best posting your mashup in the 'submit mashups' section as that's where the majority of people will be available to provide feedback :1smiley:

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:53 am

lmao ok :1tongue: it keeps removing YTD too though :1huh: :1shocked: I'll try again and see what I can do. Ok will do, thanks! :1smiley:

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center