Ableton Master Limiting Help Please!

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.

Ableton Master Limiting Help Please!

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:39 pm

So I hear that correctly using a limiter on the master channel of your mixed track can help raise the overall volume without making it clip and distort.

I notice that there is a limiter available in the 'stock' plugins of Ableton 9, and that I am able to set it to my Master channel.

But that's as far as I can confidently say that I know what I'm doing.

So, if you aren't native to Ableton, the limiter interface looks like this:

edit: Here's a better viewable image: http://i.imgur.com/BISfCQ1.png

It's pretty simple, yes, but I don't really know how exactly to effectively use it to make it raise the overall volume of my track. What I assume is that the idea is that you turn the limiter on and raise the gain until you reach the desired volume boost to a point where the sound doesn't distort, but I'm not sure. I notice when I raise the gain in this way, a yellow graph bar will start to lower from the top of the meter that goes down from 0 to -42. Again, I'm assuming that this is showing how much the limiter is lowering the peak frequencies that are causing clipping above the auto-set ceiling of -0.30 dB shown in the top right of the limiter interface.

Am I right in all this, or way off?

I'd really like to be able o effectively use what seems like a magical tool, thanks.
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Re: Ableton Master Limiting Help Please!

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:17 pm

You're sort of on track yeah.

Ableton's standard master limiter sucks though, you want Voxengo Elephant - it's better, used by professional studios and the presets do most the work for ya :1tongue:

However, this tutorial talks through the Ableton master limiter pretty well so I'd recommend giving it a watch for clarification: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZHnz7C03rs :1smiley:

Re: Ableton Master Limiting Help Please!

Post Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks. Solid video that told all I need to know, and I'll look into the Elephant.
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center