Deadmau5 The Veldt Vocal Effect?

Tutorials to help you get the best out of your mixing progies. Please feel free to ask any mixing/editing/production problem questions here.
1 star User

Deadmau5 The Veldt Vocal Effect?

Post Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 am

I was wondering how to get this effect on vocals as I am working on a new project and the vocals I have now obviously don't sit well in the mix because I have no idea how to properly apply it.

This video should give you idea of what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiUAq4aVTjY

Re: Deadmau5 The Veldt Vocal Effect?

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:41 am

First thing I noticed is that all the vocals sound AutoTuned to superhuman perfection. That is kind of an effect in and of itself.

But otherwise, the lead vocals sound narrow, centered, and dry. Backing vocals are wide, soaked in reverb, and with maybe a hint of a chorus or flanger effect, but that also might be the robot-ness of the AutoTune I’m hearing :1undecided:

Post Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Hard to say with my limited experience in vocal production, but all I can describe is what jumped out at me.

The vocals sound high in treble and lacking in mids, which is my favorite type of vocals, where it borders on reaching too sharp, but not quite, ending at sounding very clean.

I'm hearing ever so slightly separated sounds in each ear of my headphones, so maybe the slightest re-placement of dual panned stereo tracks to give this effect? Not entirely sure, but I know I achieve a similar effect by simply adding a very short simple delay in Ableton.

Other than that, I hear a solid tuning of reverb (perhaps multiple).
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Post Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm

MashGyver wrote:First thing I noticed is that all the vocals sound AutoTuned to superhuman perfection. That is kind of an effect in and of itself.

But otherwise, the lead vocals sound narrow, centered, and dry.

Are you listening on external speakers, because the vocals sound to be place widely in my headphones. There's a subtle but potent (if that makes sense) wider stereo addition to the centered sound that I'd be willing to bet you can't catch in external speakers very well.
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:37 am

YITT wrote:Are you listening on external speakers, because the vocals sound to be place widely in my headphones. There's a subtle but potent (if that makes sense) wider stereo addition to the centered sound that I'd be willing to bet you can't catch in external speakers very well.
No, I listened on headphones. There is a centered, and relatively narrow lead vocal (wider than mono, but not super wide), and the harmonies are added with the double-tracked backing vocals that you’re hearing as separated, which are themselves very wide in the stereo field.

For example, the narrow lead vocal comes in at 1:00 by itself, but is shortly thereafter joined by the wide harmonies at 1:03ish. I think those are what you meant as the wide ones…but I’m not sure...

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:33 am

The backup singers are wider, but what I meant was his lead vocal line, like at 1:07. I'm hearing his vocals in the center-ish mind space, but it also has tinges of more stereo in my phones, more toward each ear, but it's subtle (and I don't mean the backup singers that come in).

It sounds like the backup singers aren't even all that much wider, set in the same general imaginary head space of being near each ear, but just a bit more.
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:19 pm

I just mean the respective widths are all relative. The lead vocals are wider than mono, which is why you hear them a bit in stereo, but they are narrower than the backing vocals, which are also narrower than the instrumental. Our perception of how wide they are may vary because of our headphones, or just our brain’s perception. If I were trying to reproduce this I would guess the lead vocals take up the center 20% of the stereo field (not including their reverb), and the L + R backing vocals are both panned halfway between center and their respective channels, so 50% of the stereo field.

I do think one of the reasons the lead vocals cut through the mix so well is that they are fairly narrow (again excluding their reverb). Wider vocals tend to get washed into the mix a bit more. You’re not wrong about the EQ--it’s just another facet of this particular sound.

I think we’re hearing the same thing, essentially...

Return to Mixing Tuts and Stix Support Center