mashstix relaunch... or new site

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
Site Admin

Re: mashstix relaunch... or new site

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:43 am

satis5d wrote:
However, I didn't see anything that gives me confidence that if a submitted track has needed improvements that the old version can be replaced with a new one. Better yet, we can currently post all versions of the track here so that one can follow the progress of the track from version 1 to the Front-Page version. I'd hate to lose that ability.

working on this right now.. now lets say we have a button that will take you to all the versions of the track.. should this only appear on the 'under review' page or 'frontpage' and 'all tracks by this masher' pages.. I'm leaning towards only on the 'under review' page since once a track is FPed, does anyone care about the previous versions? or do they?

satis5d wrote:
I didn't see you demonstrate it, but I assume that other members (not just moderators) can still comment on anyone's tracks and that all members can see the "Under Review" section of the site. It would be nice to be able to add more sources (perhaps a "+" symbol) for those times when mashups have more than 3 sources. But there might need to be a limit to that. Some of the multimashes have a pretty long list of sources.

yes, the only difference (atm) is mods can FP tracks. any user has will have the obvious permissions. Right now I have 3 source boxes as some of these mashup names get ridiculously long.. I'd rather people say 'multi-max' if more than 3 sources.

satis5d wrote:
Not trying to make you work harder, but I'm pretty passionate about this site and I'd like it to be the best it can be moving forward. :1wink:

It's always much appreciated!

- Paul Stix

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 am

Paul Stix wrote:working on this right now.. now lets say we have a button that will take you to all the versions of the track.. should this only appear on the 'under review' page or 'frontpage' and 'all tracks by this masher' pages.. I'm leaning towards only on the 'under review' page since once a track is FPed, does anyone care about the previous versions? or do they?

I think that the direction you're taking now is the best one. The Front Page should focus only on the cream of the crop as well as to give people access to that artist's complete Front-Page lineup. Everything else can stay on the "under review" section.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Post Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Make it similar to how it was back in 2011, There used to be a Kings Of The Frontpage section you could rate the mashup and everything that feature was awesome here is a link to what the site looked like back then: https://i.imgur.com/CWolLC0.png Plus change this white theme to something more gritty and dark.

Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:56 am

TheRayMan wrote:Make it similar to how it was back in 2011, There used to be a Kings Of The Frontpage section you could rate the mashup and everything that feature was awesome here is a link to what the site looked like back then: https://i.imgur.com/CWolLC0.png Plus change this white theme to something more gritty and dark.

First of, nothing but love for you man since you've been around these part for so long. Second, I remember I took the ratings off (I believe it was just a 5 star rating system in %) because the community almost had a mutiny over not wanting them. Personally, I was in the minority that liked them. Something to consider though for the refresh.

Lastly, I'm into the current colors atm so the site won't be dark nor gritty.

The one thing that caught my eye from your screenshot was all the different things we used to have... especially the mashup battles/competitions. I defo would want those back even though I doubt there are companies that will sponsor some prizes like Stanton did in those days.

- Paul Stix

Post Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:48 pm

Hey, Paul, this is some great news :1cool:

From your demo, it looks like it's going to be much more simple for the regular users and also for the mods.

Some comments and questions from my side:
  • For the submission form, just as a suggestion, maybe you can implement the ability to add an external URL for the original source (e.g. from YouTube) to each source?
  • As for the track submission's comments, are you going to provide some kind of a toolbar to enhance the comments, like we have today (e.g. Bold, Color, URL, IMG, etc.)?
  • Will the user have the ability to reedit his own comments?
  • Regarding the frontpage procedure, I like that radio button, but maybe you can implement 2 steps to promote a track for the FP, like we have today, meaning if this is the first promotion, the label on the radio button will be "Recommend" and the track will be flagged accordingly (also visually), then, the second mod will see the label "Frontpage" on that radio button, only then, the track will be moved to the FP (I guess you can easily add a promotion counter to the track record in the DB).
  • I agree with satis5d that it will be nice if the user will have the ability to replace the version of the submitted track.
  • I also agree that the new site domain should remain as it is today - mashstix.com.
  • What about the Mashoff part? Did you think about how it will be integrated with the new design or is it out of scope? I think we should keep the monthly contest alive, but I guess it should be implemented separately from the "Under Review" section, and probably simplify the submission and the poll creation processes for the contest (maybe to automate the poll creation??), what do you think?
  • Last think, hopefully, you are planning to migrate the old frontpaged tracks from the old DB, we've all been working hard to reach that desired place of honor :1wink:

In general, I'm very happy with this change and looking forward to your updates :1kiss:

BTW, any time estimation for the new site to be ready?

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:16 pm

satis5d wrote:
Paul Stix wrote:working on this right now.. now lets say we have a button that will take you to all the versions of the track.. should this only appear on the 'under review' page or 'frontpage' and 'all tracks by this masher' pages.. I'm leaning towards only on the 'under review' page since once a track is FPed, does anyone care about the previous versions? or do they?

I think that the direction you're taking now is the best one. The Front Page should focus only on the cream of the crop as well as to give people access to that artist's complete Front-Page lineup. Everything else can stay on the "under review" section.

Ok, I've completed the versions component and kept it only visible in the 'under review' section and in a users profile page.

Made a video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH586N3eAbc

here's some explanation:
1) first you can see the 'under review' section with 4 test tracks, each being version 1.0

2) we log in our regularuser who already has uploaded a track called 'Regularusersong ..' from the previous video.. logging in will automatically take you to the user profile page.. where you can see the tracks that the user has under review atm.

3) we click the 'update' button and upload the new mp3 and everything updates including a new section where you can view all the versions of a track (also have separate comments by version) in the 'under review' section.

I think thats what we had in mind... but let me know.

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:39 pm

SMASH wrote: For the submission form, just as a suggestion, maybe you can implement the ability to add an external URL for the original source (e.g. from YouTube) to each source?

I see where you are going with this. I will make a public google sheets list in a second that will have 'must haves' and ' nice to haves' to do lists... this will go in the nice to haves.. backburner for now

SMASH wrote:As for the track submission's comments, are you going to provide some kind of a toolbar to enhance the comments, like we have today (e.g. Bold, Color, URL, IMG, etc.)?

probably should but I haven't worked with a custom comment system like this one yet but I'm pretty sure they all rely on some sort of tag system.. I'll look into it later as I fear the comments will be the biggest pain to moderate as you know how people are. backburner for now

SMASH wrote:Will the user have the ability to reedit his own comments?

probaby should but probably wont.

SMASH wrote:Regarding the frontpage procedure, I like that radio button, but maybe you can implement 2 steps to promote a track for the FP, like we have today, meaning if this is the first promotion, the label on the radio button will be "Recommend" and the track will be flagged accordingly (also visually), then, the second mod will see the label "Frontpage" on that radio button, only then, the track will be moved to the FP (I guess you can easily add a promotion counter to the track record in the DB).

It completely slipped my mind that FP requires 2 mods of approval.. will defo have to make a component for this. And yea DB will be easy to change from boolean to tinyint.

SMASH wrote:I agree with satis5d that it will be nice if the user will have the ability to replace the version of the submitted track.

Just completed this. video link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH586N3eAbc

SMASH wrote:I also agree that the new site domain should remain as it is today - mashstix.com.

yes, I think we are all going to agree on this.

SMASH wrote: What about the Mashoff part? Did you think about how it will be integrated with the new design or is it out of scope? I think we should keep the monthly contest alive, but I guess it should be implemented separately from the "Under Review" section, and probably simplify the submission and the poll creation processes for the contest (maybe to automate the poll creation??), what do you think?

Definitely, will have this.. but the more important parts need to be built first. Would love to hear more of an in depth way you would tackle this if you were me in terms of how it fits with the new site ux/ui. backburner for now

SMASH wrote:Last think, hopefully, you are planning to migrate the old frontpaged tracks from the old DB, we've all been working hard to reach that desired place of honor :1wink:

Yup, all of the frontpaged catalog will be coming with use.

SMASH wrote:BTW, any time estimation for the new site to be ready?

Whenever we are all happy with the basic features, than we will launch... the ui, for example is still not complete in parts as things change a lot with new functionality... hence it will be the last thing that gets updated.

But again, everybody has a different view of what features are important. For me, for example, I would love to have a history of what tracks I played and maybe a main playlist I can launch when I'm doing something in need of music. To others, it might be a complex commenting system, so we'll see how this evolves.

- Paul Stix

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Paul Stix wrote:Ok, I've completed the versions component and kept it only visible in the 'under review' section and in a users profile page.

Made a video..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH586N3eAbc

here's some explanation:
1) first you can see the 'under review' section with 4 test tracks, each being version 1.0

2) we log in our regularuser who already has uploaded a track called 'Regularusersong ..' from the previous video.. logging in will automatically take you to the user profile page.. where you can see the tracks that the user has under review atm.

3) we click the 'update' button and upload the new mp3 and everything updates including a new section where you can view all the versions of a track (also have separate comments by version) in the 'under review' section.

I think thats what we had in mind... but let me know.

This works. It's a different methodology than we're used to, but I can see the crew catching on to this pretty fast. It's more self-explanatory than the old method, that's for sure. :1smiley:

Keep up the good work! :1cheesy:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:12 pm

We should probably archive the FP downloads in a legacy section if that's doable.

Everything else looks good. I just hope the kitchen spammer makes just one more post to acknowledge the greatness of the new site.

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:21 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:We should probably archive the FP downloads in a legacy section if that's doable.

Everything else looks good. I just hope the kitchen spammer makes just one more post to acknowledge the greatness of the new site.

Can you elaborate? I don't understand.

Yea , kitchen spammer also uploaded a bitcoin minder in the forum background..

BTW, anybody have a good to do list template or app/software? google sheets is getting frustrating. Just want something that we can all have access to and be able to make and check off to do lists?

PreviousNext

Return to Stix chat