Melodyne: All pitch and speed work or no?

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
3 Star User

Melodyne: All pitch and speed work or no?

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Help...finally got a demo of Melodyne installed and it's lovely...but should I be using it for everything? or just spot repitching? Happy to go research specifics, but kinda lost as to whether to stick with live's warping for speed and then do spot pitch edits in Melodyne or should I be trying to do everything in Melodyne itself?

Happy to go dig, but thought I could get an overview of what others use it for as a starting place to shape my searching.

Any good tutorial pointers also very welcome xx

Re: Melodyne: All pitch and speed work or no?

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:41 pm

If you're using the full-version demo you can do a lot with it. Feel free to experiment with it because it's pretty powerful. The scaled-back versions (like what I use) limit me to basically making spot-pitches or wholesale pitching to an acapella or single instrument track.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

3 Star User

Post Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:45 am

So here's what I'm struggling with specifically the 'of you' seems all compressed / rushed (this is from the orig wav I have, not edited yet)

https://clyp.it/3jyopatv

I can't seem to fix the timing without flubbing up the bits around it..I've seen tutorials that show you how to break the links and edit the notes separately, but somehow I can't get it in time / keep stretching the notes in a weird way.

Is this kinda fix suited to Melodyne? Do I just need to stick with playing with the editor till I get more comfortable with it or is this stuff not really what Melodynes good for?

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:10 am

SgtMash wrote:So here's what I'm struggling with specifically the 'of you' seems all compressed / rushed (this is from the orig wav I have, not edited yet)

https://clyp.it/3jyopatv

I can't seem to fix the timing without flubbing up the bits around it..I've seen tutorials that show you how to break the links and edit the notes separately, but somehow I can't get it in time / keep stretching the notes in a weird way.

Is this kinda fix suited to Melodyne? Do I just need to stick with playing with the editor till I get more comfortable with it or is this stuff not really what Melodynes good for?
I would say that this is something you could possibly do with Melodyne, although I find it much less labor-intensive and just much more accurate with Ableton. It may just take a dozen warp makers to get it where you need it...

The most useful application I’ve found with Melodyne’s time warping is stretching out a note out past about 150% without it sounding distorted and obviously stretched. You’ll have to break a word up, because you’d only want the vowel sound stretched, but it’s not terribly difficult to do and it works a lot more convincingly than anything else I’ve used. Don’t know if that’s something you’ll need to or even want to do, but it’s a cool trick regardless!

And Melodyne is of course amazing for pitch stuff. It sometimes sounds better than Ableton does and sometimes doesn’t, but the visual interface can be very helpful to get a good look at the “not-quite-in-tune” stuff that requires a 30 cent nudge or has a bunch of pitchy notes that need fine-tuning.

3 Star User

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 am

MashGyver wrote:I would say that this is something you could possibly do with Melodyne, although I find it much less labor-intensive and just much more accurate with Ableton.

Ahhh - thankyou...it was like "new toy lets just use it for this"...I failed and it was wondering if it was the best tool for all jobs.

I love the display. love the snap to key & draggability to find odd fixes, but I've not used it for much -yet- , but thank you on the feedback as to where you use it most - I think this is going to be similar for me.

Return to Stix chat