Is It Worth It? (Sticky)

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges

Is It Worth It? (Sticky)

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:18 am

I'm creating this forum thread to provide mashup artists with a place where they can "test drive" a mashup concept and receive feedback, not on how to make it better like in the Submit Here forum, but feedback as to whether they feel that the song has enough merit to be worth the effort to take it to completion.

It's not meant to be used often, but on occasion you may run into a mashup combination that seems to have real potential, but the amount of work to bring it all the way home may be overwhelming. The benefit of putting a mashup here is to allow feedback from those who have been down a similar road before and can give you an idea of whether you're just a few technical moves away from something great, or whether you've bitten off more than you can chew (for now.)

It also allows others to comment on whether they find the mashup appealing. After all, it could be a seen as a waste of many hours to make a mashup that nobody else seems to appreciate.

RULES FOR POSTING

1. Once and done: you may not post the same mashup here twice. If you continue to work on it then it automatically goes to the Submit Here forum next.
2. Limits of use: limit submissions here to not more than 2 per month.
3. Reciprocation: if you post your mashups here for comment, be sure to comment on the work that others post here.

I'm making this post sticky so that it stays at the top of the Stix Chat section for now. We'll see if it works out as I have imagined.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Taylor Swift vs Walt Disney - Beautiful Love Story

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:28 am

Taylor Swift - Love Story [acapella]
Walt Disney - Beauty And The Beast [instrumental]

I've had this one in the project file for several weeks now. I go back to it once in a while, but I never seem to finish it. I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done... a lot of time-stretching on Taylor's vocals.

The challenge here is that in order to keep the instrumental intact tempo-wise I've had to slow Taylor's vocals down a fair bit to start with. But by the end of the song she is singing at an unbelievably-slow tempo. I'm not sure if her vocals can hold up to that much slow-down.

Furthermore, both songs incorporate a key change from D to E, but they don't change at the same time which means that for a while, Taylor's slowed vocals must also be pitched from D to E (2 semitones. And we know about "Swifted" vocals... :1undecided: )

I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice the vocals sound for most of the song, but as things get close to the ending, I'm having doubts.

It this worth continuing? I can see it being a favorite of little girls everywhere if I can pull it off. But have I pushed the limits too far?

No Flash Installed

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: Is It Worth It? (Sticky)

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 am

satis5d wrote:It this worth continuing? I can see it being a favorite of little girls everywhere if I can pull it off. But have I pushed the limits too far?

Despite the vocals being way too loud, this charted well with my tween focus group. Additionally they suggested it would be good for a wedding. They did say it was "really long".

satis5d wrote:Furthermore, both songs incorporate a key change from D to E, but they don't change at the same time which means that for a while, Taylor's slowed vocals must also be pitched from D to E (2 semitones. And we know about "Swifted" vocals... )

For the part where Taylor is shifted, my kids said "that sounds weird". When they say that, it is usually toxic. Maybe you can avoid this problem somehow. It's good again when she goes to E.

satis5d wrote:But by the end of the song she is singing at an unbelievably-slow tempo.

The long "say" was noticeably distorted. Maybe a rest before "just" ... you still have the long "yes".

satis5d wrote:I'm making this post sticky so that it stays at the top of the Stix Chat section for now. We'll see if it works out as I have imagined.

If this gets popular, it will need a board.

2 Star User

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 am

Had me off searching for a Motown vocal for it idk why, but I heard that kinda slo-motown vibe :) sadly I appear to have lost my collection of motown acapellas that I grabbed 15 years ago when I 1st thought I'd try making mashups and gave up on day 2 :1laugh:

Feels like it should work to start with, but it'd be beyond me to deal with the keychange well and the tempo draaaaaaagg is pretty epic. Just how many little girls are their out there for your work I'd ask myself :p

Diana Ross & Lionel Richie – Endless Love (Acapella) was what I was thinking I think it fits with a tuning tweak?? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

P.S. Love the idea of a quick-shot "Am I mad, or..." board.

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:43 pm

This pair fits very well artistically, and while I admit by the way you described it I was expecting it to be pretty bad, it actually doesn't sound so bad to me at all, honestly.

I think balancing the volumes (which I understand would probably have been a future step for you), giving her a bit more tasteful reverb and long subtle delays (which might help in the slow ending), cleaning up the timing to be 100% spot, removing the light distortion that appears to have been placed on the pitch-shifted part, and with a bit of Disney magic, this would work out very well, and would have big appeal for fans of the movie.

I think the pitch shift to Swift wasn't so dramatic and bad (going the other direction would definitely be another, not so fairy tale, story). I did have a slight off-balance feel but it quickly dissipated as a few more words were sung, and I was on to noticing the distortion effect instead.

I think the slow down at the end isn't bad either, when her vocals come down, with some more light effects like I said above, and spot-on timing (which you'll probably have to freehand to match the creative symphony-like pauses in the instrumental).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have any current projects, so I can't add anything new to this thread of my own, but for fun, I can add one that I wish I hadn't done. The only reason I have kept it up is because some people seem to enjoy it, but man, this pairing of sources just did not allow me to play it out like at all as I'd hoped. Even when making it, I realized this was a big stretch of acceptability; a case of an idea that sounds great on paper, but had so many unforeseen technical construction issues keeping it from reaching its potential (also, my mixing skills were mostly non-existent at the time). One of the worst parts is when they sing over each other. I can't remember why I needed to do that so much, but I remember there being a reason.

I still really enjoy the Avril's ending solo, though. It kind of reminds me of that solo woman singer part in one of the songs off Dark Side.

phpBB [media]
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

1 star User

Re: Taylor Swift vs Walt Disney - Beautiful Love Story

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:17 pm

satis5d wrote:Taylor Swift - Love Story [acapella]
Walt Disney - Beauty And The Beast [instrumental]

I've had this one in the project file for several weeks now. I go back to it once in a while, but I never seem to finish it.

It this worth continuing? I can see it being a favorite of little girls everywhere if I can pull it off. But have I pushed the limits too far?

It is of my partly formed conjecture that this is a construct well worthy of continuation, for what one tiny Star's opinion is worth, human.

Your idea submission does remind me of a transmission I had sent to Earth, but ultimately removed, due to it being too much of an uncomfortable stretch, Limahl's title theme to the film 'The Neverending Story', and Taylor Swift's 'Love Story'. It starts out so well, but then a virus of the 1980 period soon struck in the instrumental in the form of multiple key changes, which I was forced to adapt Swift (who also had a key change of her own, as you well know) to, to extreme amounts, which ultimately hurt too much to allow me to share with Earth. Don't be fooled with the first few key shifts. The path continues, to a final damning shift, reaching past maximum levels.

I have decided to re-transmit this dead star for a time, to illustrate how often key changes in source material become a blocked portal that mashup energies cannot faithfully be passed through.

This track will still always hold a sentimental twinkle in this Star's eye, though, mainly for the first and final lines sung, and how they relate to my memory as a young star, filled with the wonderful feelings of the VHS story I had seen multiple times.

This sudden, human-like, rush of emotion I can currently feel upon hearing a line sung in a current song, stemming from its relation to a memory not happening now, but back through time, fascinates me, as it seems to for Taylor Swift, also. ★

No Flash Installed

Star Man audiovisual transmission logs: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqb33w ... ns9DMeHKgA

1 star User

Re: Taylor Swift vs Walt Disney - Beautiful Love Story

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Star Man wrote:...

Your idea submission does remind me of a transmission I had sent to Earth, but ultimately removed, due to it being too much of an uncomfortable stretch, Limahl's title theme to the film 'The Neverending Story', and Taylor Swift's 'Love Story'. It starts out so well, but then a virus of the 1980 period soon struck in the instrumental in the form of multiple key changes, which I was forced to adapt Swift (who also had a key change of her own, as you well know) to, to extreme amounts, which ultimately hurt too much to allow me to share with Earth. Don't be fooled with the first few key shifts. The path continues, to a final damning shift, reaching past maximum levels.

No Flash Installed

That one should go to Submit Mashups. I can't help but think that this is what Love Story would sound like if it's a 1989 track. The highest pitches, while extreme, just works. Anything higher quality would have to involve a better acapella for Love Story.

Also, I hope that it's not blasphemy, but the beginning makes me think that PPAP (Pen Pineapple Apple Pen) can be added if this becomes a multimash.

I also have my own draft in which I would like to have your input if it's worth continuing without additional song sources. The biggest challenge here is the pitch work that must be done to the vocals from 0:48-0:51 and similar segments.

Vlad Lucan - Reverse
Lenno - Some Lovin'

No Flash Installed

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 am

molave wrote:I also have my own draft in which I would like to have your input if it's worth continuing without additional song sources. The biggest challenge here is the pitch work that must be done to the vocals from 0:48-0:51 and similar segments.

Vlad Lucan - Reverse
Lenno - Some Lovin'

I really like the potential of this combination, Molave. What's got me baffled is why Lenno sounds so muffled. It's like she's got marbles in her mouth at times. It doesn't sound that bad on this YouTube version:
phpBB [media]

1 star User

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 pm

satis5d wrote:
molave wrote:I also have my own draft in which I would like to have your input if it's worth continuing without additional song sources. The biggest challenge here is the pitch work that must be done to the vocals from 0:48-0:51 and similar segments.

Vlad Lucan - Reverse
Lenno - Some Lovin'

I really like the potential of this combination, Molave. What's got me baffled is why Lenno sounds so muffled. It's like she's got marbles in her mouth at times. It doesn't sound that bad on this YouTube version:
phpBB [media]

That's because the vox stems are overcompressed and the high-freq EQ is pushed quite far down so it won't be bothersome during the mixing. I'll try to make it less muffled in my attempts to hide compression artifacts. Thanks!

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks for stepping up and starting this thread, satis5d. We had discussed doing something like this months ago and came to no conclusion, so I’m glad it finally happened.

I don’t have anything to run by you guys at the moment, but I thought I’d comment on everything here.

Satis5d: Loved the Disney Love Story idea. I like warezio’s suggestion about pausing between words (maybe with some echoes to fill the voids too). Did you try stretching the words with Melodyne? I found that to be my best word-stretcher.

As far as the pitch changes, one thing you might try to preserve the timbre a bit more: bring that section of vocals down 1 semitone with no formant preservation, export, and then bring it up 3 semitones with formant preservation (guessing it’s Melodyne your using here). Depends on the vocalist and the quality of the track, but I’ve pulled that trick off before with some decent results. You also seem to lose some width there too, so you might try some stereo delays on those and the remainder of the vocals (for continuity.) It could certainly help with the slow laggy syllables that occur near the end.

Alternatively, you could try cutting and looping so that section never has to happen--your call of course.

Really, though, I think the mashup's an epic concept, sounds great so far, and worth the effort to try and pull the rest of it off.

Star Man: I’m curious about the instrumental you’re using for The Neverending Story… :1undecided: I’ve played around with something like this:
phpBB [media]

...which sounds just like the version in the movie to me, and all I found was that the chorus had to move up 3 semitones before resolving back down to the original key. There are some insidious key changes in the instrumental break in the middle of the song, though, but with any luck you won’t have to do much there...

Molave: Sounds fine as an A+B to me. And I guess I hear what you mean about the pitch work, but it’s hard to say if it’s the notes themselves or the “Glissando” slides between pitches that sound “off.” I honestly didn’t find anything jarring that I’d want to change it, and I’m pretty nitpicky about that stuff.

Next

Return to Stix chat