My name's "......." and I'm a MashStix member.

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
2 Star User

Re: My name's "......." and I'm a MashStix member.

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi there, actually I was going to use the "Submit Mashup" section first, but then I thought it would seemed rude as I was MIA for a reallllllly long time :1laugh:

(*Warning: I'm not that great with words, especially with introductions!)

I'm Jason, known as DJ Ryson or RysonRemix. I hailed from the land of Borneo (Malaysia). I'm currently 22 years old and just recently graduated from university in Graphic Design.

What introduces me into the term "mashups" is when I was searching for fanfiction videos years ago (At least I think that how it goes!), and when found out that it was two existing songs mixed into one, I started searching for more of these strange cocktails and to this day I'm still addicted into making music combos.

I used to visit Mashstix back in 2010, when Dylan Vasey found me on Youtube and introduce me to this site. And while I try to be active and contribute to the community, I admittedly was finding it difficult to fit in (poor way to say it really) and with some problematic life events happening, I eventually lost interest and move on.

I continued to be active, at the time experimenting in mixing "Earworm-ish style" and posting them on Facebook and Youtube. In fact I had a really successful mashup which I'm proud of (*cough* Danza Rabiosa Kuduro *cough*) And I when even heard it playing a few times in my hometown, I have this big, cheesy beam on my face (and likely earned myself the tile as a weird kid to some people here) :1grin: And when I joined my university, I was eager showing people this mix on Youtube.

But, afterwards, when I saw the popularity of the mashup was getting, I started to be overly concious in releasing new works on Youtube. And when I see and hear responses like "It's not as good as that mix", "It's alright, but can you throw in Gaga?" or "Make something exactly like that!", I began to be infrequent in creating mashups. I was actually...dislike doing it. Then I realized that I was no longer doing it for myself, and I was letting people telling me what I should do.

So I decided to cut the crap, reassert myself and go back to experimenting, and keep this in my mind, what's important is that I'm happy with the work I've done. Now, I wanted to play around with different genre and era of music, and also have a renew inspiration of making mashups.

So, here's my story (I didn't actually intend to be this long-winded, but it is how it is). There's more but I'll stop as it is becoming more of an essay than an intro :1cheesy: And I hope I can be active here on Mashstix and I'm actually forward for some open, honest criticism on my works (even if it's a damn hard, bitter pill to shallow) as I wanted to learn ways to improve myself and I hope I can return the favor as well.

Thanks y'all for reading :1kiss:
Please visit me at
Hearthis.at
Youtube
Facebook

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:52 am

Ryson wrote:Hi there, actually I was going to use the "Submit Mashup" section first, but then I thought it would seemed rude as I was MIA for a reallllllly long time :1laugh:

(*Warning: I'm not that great with words, especially with introductions!)

I'm Jason, known as DJ Ryson or RysonRemix. I hailed from the land of Borneo (Malaysia). I'm currently 22 years old and just recently graduated from university in Graphic Design.

What introduces me into the term "mashups" is when I was searching for fanfiction videos years ago (At least I think that how it goes!), and when found out that it was two existing songs mixed into one, I started searching for more of these strange cocktails and to this day I'm still addicted into making music combos.

I used to visit Mashstix back in 2010, when Dylan Vasey found me on Youtube and introduce me to this site. And while I try to be active and contribute to the community, I admittedly was finding it difficult to fit in (poor way to say it really) and with some problematic life events happening, I eventually lost interest and move on.

I continued to be active, at the time experimenting in mixing "Earworm-ish style" and posting them on Facebook and Youtube. In fact I had a really successful mashup which I'm proud of (*cough* Danza Rabiosa Kuduro *cough*) And I when even heard it playing a few times in my hometown, I have this big, cheesy beam on my face (and likely earned myself the tile as a weird kid to some people here) :1grin: And when I joined my university, I was eager showing people this mix on Youtube.

But, afterwards, when I saw the popularity of the mashup was getting, I started to be overly concious in releasing new works on Youtube. And when I see and hear responses like "It's not as good as that mix", "It's alright, but can you throw in Gaga?" or "Make something exactly like that!", I began to be infrequent in creating mashups. I was actually...dislike doing it. Then I realized that I was no longer doing it for myself, and I was letting people telling me what I should do.

So I decided to cut the crap, reassert myself and go back to experimenting, and keep this in my mind, what's important is that I'm happy with the work I've done. Now, I wanted to play around with different genre and era of music, and also have a renew inspiration of making mashups.

So, here's my story (I didn't actually intend to be this long-winded, but it is how it is). There's more but I'll stop as it is becoming more of an essay than an intro :1cheesy: And I hope I can be active here on Mashstix and I'm actually forward for some open, honest criticism on my works (even if it's a damn hard, bitter pill to shallow) as I wanted to learn ways to improve myself and I hope I can return the favor as well.

Thanks y'all for reading :1kiss:

Only just read this just now but thanks for posting it - interesting read! I've just created a thread called 'what's your story' now because I'm interested to hear other people's stories and how they ended up at the stix. Anyway, glad you're with us again and if I haven't mentioned this already - you were a definite inspiration to my developing as a mashup producer!

1 star User

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:50 pm

Hey guys, Entyme aka DJ Tyme & Nathan Scot here... digging the new site design! We decided to make a new joint profile for both of us rather than using our old individual profiles. We haven't been around the forums for awhile, so here is an introduction for you all.

We are Doug (DJ Tyme) and Nate (Nathan Scot), together we're known as Entyme, and we're from San Francisco. Doug started throwing raves and DJing in the late 90s. Nate started playing piano when he was 4 and studied Music, Science, Technology at Stanford's Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA). We met in 2007 and have been making mashups ever since. Currently we're resident DJs at Bootie SF, and we perform all over the SF Bay Area and also at Bootie LA and Seattle.

That's us! Glad to be back here :1grin:

2 Star User

Greetings! (and apologies for my late presentation :P)

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm GladiLord, a 21 yo little mashup "Frankenstein" from a very unknown place for this hobby, Madeira Island (yep, you've read it right, fellas!); ocasional gamer and, despite everything, a very disruptive entretainer 24/7.

My "experience" dates from a short time... almost 4 years, actually. Most of my mashups are in this YouTube Channel: GladiLordMusic!

Hoping to be recognized as one of the most "wannabe alternative" mashup producers, I define my rules on my domain... and until I begin to need to gain profits with my work, I WON'T ACCEPT MASHUP REQUESTS from anyone! (except if they're crazy as hell to do, and possible to make it true without being harsh to hear)

My main mashup areas are the "Unusual", "Unexpected" and "Weird", even though I try all the other forms, once in a while :D

Hope You Enjoy My Work, as I'll be more than flattered to hearing your thoughts
:1grin:
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

1 star User

Post Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:09 am

Wut up? I'm Chris, 29 from Levittown NY (Long island). Been making music since 2008, been making mashups for longer. Music making/editing has been a dream of mine i turned into a hobby when i have the free time. Programs I use for music making is Music 200/MTV Music Generator & LMMS. Currently a Linux (Kubuntu) user. When I had windows I used to use Creative Wave Studio for editing/mashups, now I use Audacity and LMMS for them. Found this site through Google, needed a new place to show my stuff since SoundCloud and YouTube are gettin ridiculous with copyright content strikes. Joined "hearthis.at" a few days ago, so thats where I'll be linking my stuff to. My genre is dance/techno/trance in 90's style. For a better idea, check out my sets/albums. Hope you enjoy!

Post Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi everybody. MashGyver checking in. I've been working at this a few months now. I'm an experienced and accomplished musician, but this whole production thing is pretty new for me. I just stumbled upon this community recently, and I'm looking forward to getting some quality feedback. I have shared my work on reddit, which seems like a good place to get some listens, but there's not a lot of constructive feedback going through there. I've done what I can myself to contribute feedback and enrich that community, but I'm ready for something new.

So, I intend on sharing a few of the mashups I've recently completed, and of course my future projects. Out of pride and principle I have put a ton of detail into each one. I'm talking 50-100 hours of work per mashup, generally. I'm not sure how much of that detail others will recognize or appreciate, especially upon first or second listen, but it's pretty gratifying for me to create such complex pieces of work. Just kind of my thing, I suppose…

See you in the Submit Forum!

MashGyver…out.

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:34 pm

It's been a few weeks now since I joined MashStix, so I suppose it's high time that I made a formal introduction.

My name is Andrew and I'm a child of the 80's. I just got started making mashups this year. I'm definitely more of a "pop" flavored artist, although I enjoy mashups from many different genres. My mashups are meant to be fun and, for the most part, family-friendly.

Professionally I'm a trained and experienced educator, including a 10-year stint as a middle-school principal. I think of myself as an artist first, however; whether it be graphic art, painting houses, or making mashups, I try to turn as much of my life into an expression of art and love as possible. I don't know anyone who lives a more enjoyable life than I do. I wake up every morning excited about what the new day will bring. The "stage name" satis5d is a reflection of my satisfaction with life and my part in this big production we're all participating in.

My introduction to mashups came in the form of an 80's cassette maxi-single called "Who's That Mix/This Year's Blonde" which complied several Madonna songs into one mega-mix. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03pnl_gCPd8 The song was essentially a medley until it got near the end. Suddenly (and unexpectedly) the songs started getting layered on top of each other. I was blown away. I started sharing this song with everyone I knew to show them the "Magic" but nobody else I knew "got it."

Fast forward to the 2000's and I started to really enjoy trance and house remixes so I tended to buy the extended versions of songs to see what they would do with the songs I heard on the radio. However, my wife could not live with the "thumping" (as she calls it) of mostly empty beats for the first and last minute of a remix. This led me to finally do something to make peace in my home. I found Audacity and started lopping off the intro/outros, but then those didn't always sound right. So I had to do a little bit more to the track to make it work. Eventually, after getting hooked on mashups (thanks largely to Robin Skouteris) I started hearing some songs in my head while other songs were playing. And the rest is history...

Since I'm a noob when it comes to mashup technicalities, I produce sounds that sound and feel good to me. When I listen to your work, you can expect a comment from me about the artistic impression I got from your mashup, not much on the technical side, if any. :1smiley:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello, Flic here.

Nice to meet you all. I'm going to keep this intro simple.
I have been DJ and producing since 1994.
I do it because I absolutely love to and for no other reason.

1 star User

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi, I'm Rich. Gonna keep this short and sweet, just like my bedroom habits (please come back Cynthia, i can go 20 seconds now!).
Anyway, I'm from Stoke in the UK and no, it's not all council houses :1grin:
I have been creating (or attempting as some may say) mashups for years now and really enjoy listening to them too. I enjoy how opposites can go together and how random creations can be made, for example, Thomas The Tank vs 50 Cent! A great mashup and who would have thought these 2 could go together.
I go by the name Ronko.
I also do a monthly 1 hour mix, which can be found on mixcloud (https://www.mixcloud.com/Ronko/) its mainly dance, house, trance and some mashups. It probably isn't everybodys cup of tea, or even anybodys :1grin:
I look forward to exploring the site and listening to peoples mashups.

Post Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:30 pm

richc100 wrote:Gonna keep this short and sweet, just like my bedroom habits (please come back Cynthia, i can go 20 seconds now!).

:1shocked:
Former Deputy Commissioner, Mashstix Harmony Police
Facebook

PreviousNext

Return to Stix chat