"Lloyd Recommends" The Best Of MashStix - December 2012

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges

"Lloyd Recommends" The Best Of MashStix - December 2012

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 am

Hi Folks and welcome to December's edition of "Lloyd Recommends" The final one of the year and what a great year for bootlegs it's been; there has been some sadness with the passing of GYBO but the music has remained strong and that's what it's all about really isn't it. December saw the usual glut of end of year multimashes but you'll forgive me for not including any of them in my round-up because quite honestly, I really don't have much time for them, when Earworm made his first one it was a novelty and I like everyone else rushed to download it but now that it's come to be expected, it seems the pressure of having to make one has harmed the quality of the finished track... not just for Earworm. So I'm sorry fellas but if you were hoping to have made my list with one, you're out of luck.
Anyway, moving on... this post isn't just about the best of December, this being my last recommendation of the year will also be a look back at what was good about 2012, so lets crack on.
...So for the final time this year.. sit back, relax and enjoy the best of December.

Oh and I'm going to have to make a new banner before next month's... can someone remind me :1wink:

“Best Of December”

Xam - I Love Firework (Icona Pop vs Katy Perry)
Proving that mashups don’t alway have to be complicated, this is just brilliant!! I can’t get enough of it, it went straight into my ‘Best Of 2012’ it’s perfection and has had me bouncing off the walls since i first heard it... yep it’s just great!!! “I don’t care... I LOVE IT!!”

No Flash Installed

DJ Schmolli - Jingle Bells Pon De Floor (Major Lazer v Soma v ..)
Christmas may be over but that doesn’t mean we should ignore this masterpiece. stick it on your hard-drive for next year and every year thereafter... it’ll be the ‘Fairytale of New York’ of the mashup world.

No Flash Installed

DJ Schmolli - Shout And Scream And Shout (Tears For Fears vs. Will.I.Am ft. Britney Spears)
Second one from Schmolli... Cool stripped down track this one.. and it’s always good to hear TFF.

No Flash Installed

Dylan Vasey - Its a Good Feeling To Be Young & Beautiful(One Direction v Kesha v...)
Technically release last month but just missed out on my cut off date... but no worries it’s in this months. I have a soft spot for Kesha tracks, so this has had a lot of plays round mine... I do hope the neighbours didn’t hear it... I’d lose all my street cred.

No Flash Installed

BringMeTheMashup - Blow Me One Last Domino (Pink vs. Jessie J)
Please excuse my ignorance but I haven’t a clue who BringMeTheMashup is... but that said, he/she/they make a cool mashup.

No Flash Installed

Rino Santaniello - Burn it Higher (Taio Cruz vs Linkin Park)
There was a comment made in the forum that Linkin Park should start making dance tracks because their vocals work so well with this sort of backing and it’s true they do...

No Flash Installed

Kill_mR_DJ - Unholy (Dio vs Seeed vs DJ Spen & The MuthaFunkaz)
Another one that went straight into my “Best Of” mix... But c’mon seriously, who doesn’t like that Dio track..?

No Flash Installed

Mashed And Confused - Is This Heaven (Bob Marley vs The Cure)
Such a nice combo this, you’ll just forget it’s a mashup and drift away with it... yep nice track this.

No Flash Installed

Laura B Mashup - Wish you were here I lose my mind (Avril Lavigne vs Sebastian Ingrosso)
Another track that i hope no-one heard me playing this month... Oh who cares I’m a sucker for soppy love songs.

No Flash Installed

Dan Mei - Feel Euphoria (Wiley vs Loreen vs Adele vs Cobra Startship)
This is just Dan Mei doing what he does best; euphoric anthems, great track.

No Flash Installed

Dan Mei - White Rasputin Wedding (Turisas v Billy Idol v Zedd)
All this is missing is a little Boney-M and it would have been perfect!... “Ra Ra Rasputin... Russia’s greatest love machine..”

No Flash Installed

ViC - Mojo (Michael Jackson vs -M-)
Another instant classic... this combo works so well.

No Flash Installed

Hifi Banjo Strings - Night Will Never Hold Us Back (Maroon 5 vs Major Look
This is so my kinda music, such a shame it was released so late in the year or it may have claimed a spot in my best of mix... Oh well, if i still like it next year, i may sneak it in.

No Flash Installed

Colatron - Pretty Lies (Pretty Lights vs Charles & Eddie)
It’s only fitting that I should finish with a track from the nicest bloke in the whole mashup kingdom... lovely track... enjoy!

No Flash Installed

So that's my selection of the best of MashStix December 2012, I hope you enjoyed it. If so, why not help promote the talented folks here at Stix by sharing this page on your social network of choice.
If you wish to download any of the tracks featured, just simply follow the link to the world famous "MashStix Front Page" by clicking Here!! and then type the Producers name into the search function at the top of the page...

“2012: A Year In Review”

So 2012 is over but it's seen some real highlights, DJ Schmolli cemented his place in the mashup hall of fame, Xam jumped up the rankings, I’d long overlooked his work but he proved this year to be an exceptional producer. Hifi Banjo Strings proved you don’t have to be old to have a great understanding of music. Dan Mei was as solid as ever and Kill_mR_DJ left me safe in the knowledge that bootlegs have a real future by producing tracks that had all the fun, intelligence and appeal of the very first boots.
There were some fantastic compilations released this year...
We had the pleasure of teaming up with The Mashup Radio to bring you the third installment of Mashup Culture...
http://www.mashstix.com/MashupCulture3.php

Dan Mei brought us the wonderful Within Temptation album with some of the finest producers in the business...
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9686

Everyone went Morcheeba crazy over summer with the release of morcheeboot 2...
http://djathom.wordpress.com/morcheeboot-2/

There were Charlestons a plenty when this rather off the wall album dropped..
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13392

... and once again the cream of the crop mixed up the 80s for our pleasure... when SUS dropped volume 2 of 80sMashed..
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12344

There was the latest installment of Colatron’s tour-de-force, an autobiographical concept albums named ‘Slight Return’

No Flash Installed

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13358

Even i produced a little project... Called The Mixtape Series volume 1

No Flash Installed

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11535

There have also been some great end of year compilations...
Mash-Up Your Bootz and Bootie both deserve a special mention here.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13746
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13739

Yep, it’s been a great year.

Right then, So to the serious business and why you're all here, my 2012 Best Of Mix. "The definitive mashup album of 2012"... but before I do that, I have one last thing i'd like to tie up, I asked you all to send me your nominations for mashup of the year, thanks to everyone who submitted a vote, I've counted them and i'm pleased to announce that...

DJ Schmolli - Rock Of Ages
was your choice of the year’s best mashup and a good choice it was too.

No Flash Installed

Download!!
phpBB [media]

OK, the time has finally come... as I've shown above, there were some great end of year compilation produced by other sites but there is only one definitive collection of the finest mashups produced in 2012, lovingly crafted into a seamless 58 minute long set. A mix so good that it caused Rhythm Scholar to issue the following statement - :1wink:

"Sucker, Wannabe, Wick-Wack DJs should give this a listen! Here's a great example of how to combine songs of different tempos, genres, keys and moods into one cohesive set! Plus, there's some Rhythm Scholar in there!" - Rhythm Scholar

Mashstix.com Best Of 2012 Mix

No Flash Installed

http://official.fm/tracks/9Wml
Just as an FYI, this is a slightly edited version from the one previewed on the 24th, so if you're one of the 500 who has already downloaded it... please delete your copy and re-download

So before I go, I'd like - if you'll allow me - to say a very big thank you to the team here at Mashstix, not just the current team but every member who has come and gone over the past few years because it's down to their hard work that Mashstix is the site it is now.
I’d also like to say a big thank you to all of our members for making visiting Mashstix such a pleasure, I don’t actually believe there's a nicer bunch of people in any forum across the whole web, so thank you each and everyone of you for the community spirit that you show here everyday.
I'd like to say a huge thank you to Paul for providing us with this site and for his constant efforts to improve both the look and usability of the forums and the Frontpage. His goal is to make Mashstix the most pleasurable experience for everyone that it can be, so remember in the coming months that your feedback is important, if you have suggestions don’t keep them to yourself, post them in our chat forum; let us know how best to serve you because this is your site.
I’d like to send some love the way of Bootie (http://bootiemashup.com/blog/) for taking mashups and bootlegs out to the masses all around the world, I’d like to thank Mashuptown (http://mashuptown.com/) and Mash-up your bootz (http://mashupyourbootz.blogspot.co.uk/) for the support they’ve shown Mashstix this year... and I’d like to wish The Mashup Radio (http://www.themashupradio.com/) well in their attempt to become the premiere mashup radio station.
I'd like to wish every producer a happy and prosperous year to come, whether you post your work here or not, if you are furthering the cause of mashups and bootlegs then I wish you well... yes... even you DeeM :1wink:

Have a wonderful New Year and I’ll see you all in...

To check out last month's recommendations click here.

2 Star User

Re: "Lloyd Recommends" The Best Of MashStix - December 2012

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanx Lloyd for the inclusion but most of all

THANKS TO ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR MY "ROCK OF AGES" MASH!!! Nice surprise, didn't even know there was a poll going on! :1smiley:

1 star User

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Many thanks for inclusion Lloyd! I'm happy for this :)

3 Star User

Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:53 am

Awesome as usual, Lloyd. Can't wait to see what people have in store for 2013

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 am

who said that...? :1laugh:

Of course not... you're The Dude... but this was my personal favourites of the year... I've had to leave out many of the best tracks of the year, if i hadn't this could have turned into a 4 hour set.

Return to Stix chat