Frontpage Standards... thoughts

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
1 star User

Re: Frontpage Standards... thoughts

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Paul Stix wrote:I'll have to continue the responses in the next post.... thanks for the feedback guys... so far so good and it keeps us in check.

- Paul Stix

Great response Paul.

I agree with your assessment of things and it seems like the site is going to be headed back to the right direction sooner rather than later.

However, I also do recognize the financial concerns and what effect this change will seemingly have there. I'll do my best to try and bring in some new artists so you guys will have some additional content to pool from.

- DJ BgM

1 star User

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Paul Stix wrote: I'm having trouble understanding why you are being like this to lloyd... there's no need for it. Your personal opinion of him has nothing to do with any sort of constructive feedback... if someone gets out of line that represents mashstix... trust me, I see it.... and it's not like we're all shirt and tie around here... ha, pirates with ties... and lastly, love him or hate him.... lloyd ain't going anywhere.. he does a lot for mashstix and he's allowed to act out of turn sometimes... just like anyone else.

It actually does have to do with feedback directly related to this topic- I'm not here to tear him down or have a witchhunt so you can all keep your pitchforks at home. His tendency to respond this way to concern/questioning of site methods (in my experience with him at least) is partially why this problem has gone on for so long.

I mentioned similar concerns a few times when this all started yet it took a collaborative "wake up" effort from me, Oli, Schmolli, and BgM to get anywhere with it? I mean here you have people admitting that they would download the FP for the past month and be supremely disappointed yet nobody really spoke up until Oli... isn't that a bit odd? When Oli finally did it took a fair amount of criticism from the community before it would even be considered as a legitimate concern.

If you don't think his first few responses were fairly condescending and rude then I can't honestly image we read the same conversation. Again I'm not trying to start a witchhunt- I'd just like him to understand that having that kind of attitude come from the leader of the forum isn't healthy. Its all too easy to get caught up in the moment (especially if busy/stressed out) and not realize these things. I'm guilty of it often enough myself as I'm sure everyone is from time to time but it seems to be a trend with him.. when I talked about it privately with other members here they simply said "that's the way it is.. you just get used to it".

No- that's just not right.

Enough of that though- as for the FP... from what I've read the plan was to have all "worthy" tracks featured in the monthly best of... the problem with that is I don't think you made the forum aware of that change. If you want to lower FP standards for ratings that is understandable and I don't think it would have been a huge issue if people who were used to the old way of doing things were made aware of the change.

Clearly the idea worked and it seems that at least someone was appreciating what a lot of people here didn't think was "quality" work... so having a "featured" and "best of" section seems like a fair solution to both problems.

I'm all for going back to the old way as well but if that puts too much strain on the site I'd rather see it stick around then go under. Maybe you can have a separate page where listeners can vote on/check out tracks that aren't quite FP worthy but still good... like a runner-up FP or something.

I'm sure you will work it out but I hope you can see that this was going on for far too long and frankly was damaging the site reputation pretty badly.

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:07 pm

firstly this thread doesn't actually have anything to do with the Schmolli thread and was not sparked by any of the comments there... I just used that thread as a visual aide.
This thread was started because I wasn't happy with the downturn in quality I didn't need any sort of 'wake up' call to point it out to me.

Secondly whatever this personal issue you have with me is, I'm sure Oli, Thomas and BgM would prefer you not group them in with it.

Believe me, I take seriously everybody's concerned about the state of this site, no-matter how small they are but as mentioned by Paul we were trying a new approach and had to give it time to see if it panned out it obviously didn't but we have learned from it and certain aspect will be kept and improved the rest will be junked.

As for my comments to Oli that you found "fairly condescending and rude" well i can't speak for Oli but I'd hope he knows how much i respect him not only as a producer but as a genuinely nice chap.
lloyd

No Flash Installed

3 Star User

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:33 pm

HOLY COMMENTS, BATMAN. Now if only I could get this much of a response on my mashups this forum would be the bestest in the whole wide worldWHYDON'TYOUFRONTPAGEALLOFMYSONGSLLOYDIHATEYOUIHATEYOUIHATEYOU

:1wink:

I didn't read every single comment...but let me say that I'm glad to see we're going back to the old ways. I've said this before, but when I got my first FP, I told my parents. I'm not joking. I was THAT proud of it. I think we've lost that angle of the forums/FPing and I hope we can return to that. I also side with the opinion that we were getting mixed signals, of sorts. This U-turn should help with that.

Let me say that everyone on here is awesome in their own way. That's what makes Mashstix unique. Don't let lack of comments or lack of frontpaging bring you down. There are tons of factors involved with everything that goes on in a forum environment. Don't take it personally. We all love mashups and we all share a passion for music. We should celebrate that.

Thank you, and God bless the United States of America.
Ryan Nellis

3 Star User
Location: The uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Ryan Nellis wrote:Thank you, and God bless the United States of America.

Kidding! :1grin:

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:51 pm

I was going to say that Ryan was doing so well until that last comment... but Oli beat me to it... :1laugh:
lloyd

No Flash Installed

3 Star User

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 pm

All Star User

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:25 am

Wazzzup my mashup BEHOTCHES?

I've been so busy trying to catch up on the submit mashup section that I had no idea this thread was started in the chat section so that's why I'm late to this party. Unfortunately before wandering over to read this thread I clicked play on a mashup not knowing it was an Adele mashup so excuse me while I go smack the STOP button....okay I'm back. And that is why we have other mods who will listen to Adele mashups. :1tongue:

Anyway, I've read through all 4 pages of comments on this thread and think there are some very good ideas but keep in mind that 1. Mods are HUMAN and make mistakes 2. Mods are Human and things like personal tastes and experience in music genres will dictate how they rate mashups and 3. We may have 11 mods but in my opinion we need 30 mods b/c everyone seems to get busy with RL (Real Life) and can't listen to all the submissions etc.

Here's the things that I read in the thread that I like:

Give feedback to every submission as follows:
1. Frontpaged
2. In order for this to be frontpaged X needs to be fixed. (example sources are are slightly OOK please repitch to match.)
3. This can't be frontpaged because of X (example sources are too far OOK and can't be corrected.)

I also like the putting the ! idea about getting 3 mods to agree to frontpage something. Glyn, you're going to have to give us some CLEAR instructions in the mods section if you want us to follow specific steps to frontpage something.

Last, I can't believe no one came up with the idea of posting P*rn on the frontpage to increase traffic. TOTALLY KIDDING - but thought I'm pretty damn funny tonight! HA!!!

and God Bless Mashstix! (and with that statement you'll never be able to post p*rn on the frontpage! HA!!!

3 Star User

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:53 am

Feeling a strange sense of deja vu...

For what it's worth, back in the day I was a wee bit disappointed when there was a bit of a push to FP "more" tracks, rather than the ones that seemed worthy. I've just clicked on a few on the FP and here's my thoughts:

That iMash and Ayee one is bad.
the Loo and Placido FuGees one is weak. I know it feels like sacriledge saying that, but it does nothing for me. poor transitions, multiple voices at the same time that don't work. Random vocal lines chopped out (not in a cool edit way) which ruins the flow.
Mighty Mike's Alive and Kissing is great til the chorus which doesn't work to well for me, but there's something quite beautiful about that voice over that backing.
Animal, Zodiac & Perez - Drop it... is not my taste but pretty smooth. But the vocal levels are way off (down to over-eq'ing i think).
Djenergy - not my taste but great energy and solid enough. Good pairing and vocal fx.
Schmolli's Bieber one - pretty shit, but funny, can't imagine anyone not getting that it's a joke so don't get the fuss about that being on the FP.
GaraGara - this one was amazing.

Sorry, went off on one there. But from a random sample of 6 FP tracks, (or 5 + Schmolli's), i'd have FP'd 1 ( + Schmolli's). I'm excluding the (amazing) one by GaraGara in those numbers.

I don't see the point of scouring the net for other mashups to include on the FP though. What's the incentive to post in the forums then? Can someone just send Lloyd or Paul their web address and ask them to check it out every now and then on the offchance they've released a new tune?

Besides parenthood creeping up on me, i stopped coming to Mashstix for similar reasons to what onelove's mentioned. Got more time now and with more sleep, maybe i'm less uptight so thought i'd try and swing by a bit more again.

I'm fairly sure this was the exact same conversation that was being had on my last day as a mod!

Anyway, I don't envy Paul and Lloyd all the shit they get, all the effort they must put in, and the general lack of thanks they get. I think it sounds like Mashstix still needs to work out what it is, and what it wants to be.

Rant - end.of. Hopefully you lost interest at "deja vu" and did something more interesting than read the rest of this.
Out :1lipsrsealed:

Post Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:00 am

No Gara, I read it all :1wink:

And yeah, it's the same old same old... traffic verses quality... but you'll be pleased to know that once again we have seen sense and come down on the side of quality.
lloyd

No Flash Installed

PreviousNext

Return to Stix chat