Frontpage Standards... thoughts

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges
2 Star User

Re: Frontpage Standards... thoughts

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:18 pm

lloyd wrote:Quick question... would a return to (!) be a way to go..? but not as it used to be, where (!) guarenteed a spot... but where (!) means a mod enjoyed the track... that way if two mods agree we change the (!) to [FP].
All a mod would need to do is tag a track as above and write that he recommends it in his comments, two mods in agreement and it's off to the frontpage.

I like that idea. It could also really solve the problem that I described in my earlier post, where one mod asks if anyone else thinks a track is FP-worthy and gets no reply after that. This way that situation becomes more visible and other mods can act accordingly.

2 Star User

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:19 pm

sjoersje wrote:
lloyd wrote:Quick question... would a return to (!) be a way to go..? but not as it used to be, where (!) guarenteed a spot... but where (!) means a mod enjoyed the track... that way if two mods agree we change the (!) to [FP].
All a mod would need to do is tag a track as above and write that he recommends it in his comments, two mods in agreement and it's off to the frontpage.

I like that idea. It could also really solve the problem that I described in my earlier post, where one mod asks if anyone else thinks a track is FP-worthy and gets no reply after that. This way that situation becomes more visible and other mods can act accordingly.

Nice Idea!!! :1smiley:
ImageImageImageImage

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Hifi Banjo Strings wrote:Regarding the social media aspect.. I've been thinking about that for a while.. to me, it's all a little impersonal, it could easily be just a program posting the link to FP'd tracks on facebook - why not be more human? Open, human and awesome are the best things to generate a fanbase.. I know I should probably take my own advice (my Facebook page is kinda just there, not much else..), but that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about :1grin:

Myself and Paul post to the facebook page and again i have to agree Oli, I should be a bit more WOW!!!! about everything... but the honest truth is I dont because I dont like all the stuff im posting, and if i do it for one its unfair not to do it for others, I know i have the aninimity of hiding behind the mashstix logo but still it feels wrong... maybe now that we will be being a bit more choosy about what we frontpage I'll enthuse more about them when i post :1grin:
lloyd

No Flash Installed

1 star User

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Hifi Banjo Strings wrote:Oh, and for 'Best Of September' etc... Might I suggest lloyds 'Best Of..' monthly roundup? :1wink:

I think that's exactly what we want - I'd want to see that list, or its equivalent built by a consensus of mods, lifted from the boards, tagged as "Mashstix presents: [month]", and featured prominently on the frontpage somehow, at least as well as Mash Fatale is featured - ideally, even better than that. Maybe stickied at the top, maybe on its own page that you can find through the side navigation. Maybe there's something clever that can be done with the page layout to highlight those songs (different background colour? Search filters?).

If a compilation can be featured, each month the site will have one guaranteed big item to promote. People will pay more attention, and we might get more FB, twitter, etc traffic. Might also be able to get other mashup sites talking about it, and drive even more traffic.

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Go2 wrote:
Hifi Banjo Strings wrote:Oh, and for 'Best Of September' etc... Might I suggest lloyds 'Best Of..' monthly roundup? :1wink:

I think that's exactly what we want - I'd want to see that list, or its equivalent built by a consensus of mods, lifted from the boards, tagged as "Mashstix presents: [month]"

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12300

I would agree I'd like it to have pride of place on the frontpage each month too :1wink:
lloyd

No Flash Installed

3 Star User
Location: The uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:15 pm

lloyd wrote:The u-turn that was put in place a couple of months back whereby tracks were frontpaged as soon a humanly posible will be stopped as of now also the frontpaging of tracks that haven't been posted in our forums.

Might I suggest a little revision? Frontpaging from elsewhere is fine (you know, the whole 'you're a mashup producer, you're featured on our site, you might like it' kinda thing), but send the track around to the mods for consideration first. If you're tightening up the guidelines, less tracks are going to be frontpaged which means less content on the FP. At least my revision gives the opportunity to be updated more and have a wider variety of producers than the few that (will) make good enough ones to be FP'd.. :1wink:

Otherwise, sounds ok. Like the (!) idea.

1 star User

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 pm

For the love of all that is right and just, please please PLEASE only post one Gangnam Style mashup (if any at all) :1laugh:

I don't even care if it's not mine, but we can't put all of them in the trophy case :1laugh:

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:05 pm

DJ BgM wrote:

For the love of all that is right and just, please please PLEASE only post one Gangnam Style mashup (if any at all) :1laugh:

I don't even care if it's not mine, but we can't put all of them in the trophy case :1laugh:

Sorry Bud, not even yours... it will be a Gangnam free-zone ;)

Oh and Oli, i think your idea is a winner, a couple of mods agreeing on stuff that hasn't been posted here is the perfect solution, that way we can keep up the idea of bringing new members here but also maintain standards :1smiley:
lloyd

No Flash Installed

1 star User

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm

lloyd wrote:Sorry Bud, not even yours... it will be a Gangnam free-zone ;)

Good. That seems the most fair anyways, haha.

- DJ BgM

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Ok, I've caught up on my forum reading.. read the schmolli thread and this whole thread.....

First things first.... yes, lloyd might of crapped the bed a few times, but I am certainly more guilty of that myself... i crapped the bed that already had crap on it if you will... :1laugh:

The truth is, a month or so ago, I told lloyd that we need to post 4-5 track on the FP per day... that was the goal anyway... the way we did this... because the mods were crapping the bed... was to scour all the groups on FB, other forums and places we knew people posted mashups... the idea was the mainstream visitors could come back at least everyday and people in the scene might be introduced to some djs who don't hang out on mashup forums. The one other MAJOR factor was we needed to FP stuff "0day"... or as soon as it came out... because before, it would take forever for someone to actually FP something and by than... everybody and their mamas heard the track already.

now, obviously a lot of people have concerns about this (hence why this thread exists), but before I address the individual responses, I want to take a moment to thank lloyd... he's been nothing but awesome for the site. Sure, some people don't like him but you guys have to realize that lloyd works his ass off here and behind the scenes... The site would of died a long time ago without him and I defo consider him my right hand man on every single thing that happends with the site... so show the man some respect, he's got a good ear, is pretty honest to people and is very very pro mashup scene...

now that we got that out of the way.......

we'll be going back to the old "higher quality" way of FP stuff.. but in this will be included some FB people who don't hang out on mashup forums... there were a few (yes only a few) tracks that I really loved that weren't posted in the forum... laura b, jay-r, dj energy... but I'll admit, if you go to their soundcloud pages... 95% of their tracks should NOT of been frontpaged.... it's everything you guys said... simple, below par pella quality, lots of fillers... but once in a while, they make a Dan Mei quality mash.... so keep an ear out..

sjoersje wrote: 'big names' really do have an advantage and get frontpaged faster.

yup, we're guilty of that... it saved us time... and all I can promise is that we'll try not to have such obvious loyalty to guys we've known for years.

sjoersje wrote: S.I.R. posted here earlier this month: a mashup of Carly Rae Jespen vs. Ottawan that was well executed and a very fun listen. It didn't get frontpaged

I'll agree, it was a good productions... but It didn't make me want to download it.. so I passed on FPing it... any other mod could of disagreed and hooked him up... also, I tend to sometimes be biased towards SIR as in the past he's been difficult with stuff that shouldn't be difficult with me behind the scenes... and so, not to single him out... there's a whole list of guys I completely ignore cause they constantly message me with silly shit... especially when they talk about programming code... it's a lot of how do I do this for my site or how do I set this up for myself... and it always ends with... and btw, why wasn't my "whatever" tune frontpaged.... I just get sick of that shit sometimes. you have to understand also that I get questions from people I don't even know that all they have to do is go to google... type in their exact question... and boom... how do they think I got the answers for them.. shit I'm ranting a bit... back to replies.

facer123 wrote: Why don't you have a "like" system or a "thumbs up/down" on the submit mashup here, when it gets to a certain amount of likes, 3 mods vote to get it fp'd or not.

because people are dicks and they will beg and message the mods to death to get them a vote... kind of like you just did with your p.s..... i know, i know... you were just joking and I'm only picking on you cause I'm having a bitch day.... and I need to use profanity once in a while or I'll go crazy.

onelove wrote: I have to wonder... has spamming these tracks even given results? It seems to me that this site is at an apex in many ways and that you really need to decide what is important quickly.

very true... and yes, the results have been financial... and noticable.... and yes, we were desperately spamming the FP... until we ran out of decent tracks to posts... and you guys noticed.. and we're willing to probably lose that noticable financial increase to keep you guys happy. but I'd love to hear suggestions as opposed to shit we already know.

CjR Mix wrote: One way would be get all 11 moderators to listen in on tracks - or more than 1 or 2 at least - and to then mark it out of 10 (or whatever) to get an average and THEN to see if its FP worthy

that and your reviews statements are spot on... but the problem is, who has time to do all that... we all have jobs, and this is really our hobby... yours is to make mashups and mine is to mess around with code needlessly (I'm very good at constantly changing stuff even though I very much shouldn't :1laugh: )... since I have you here.. you had an adele track you released recently and I'm pretty sure it was not FPed... and I'm sure that pissed you off... but my reasoning is... no matter how good that track was... I just can't listen to another adele mash..... what I mean is I didn't even click the play button, even though I know you are a proven producer.... so my question is, what do we do about tracks like that... do we frontpage?

rrodd wrote: So I think Mods should pay attention to the following points (and others I don't mention):
- Right Key
- Right Tempo / In the right Beat
- Structure
- Quality of the audio
- Levels and EQ

When you FP something ask to yourself: Would this track be enough good to an official Label to release it as a single in the music industry??

very good feedback... maybe we should have a 4 or 5 category criteria for every mash posted.... it would be simple.... the mods could just post on a 1out of 10 scale...ex.

- Quality of the audio = 5
- ook/oot = no
- structure = yes

as far as your official label statement... if we went with that... we'd FP 4 tracks a month.... just being honest.... as barely do we ever hear (at least anymore) 320 true studio pellas over 320 mentals with no distortion from filters/effects..... we work with what we got and 128 is what we got... sometimes :1smiley:

Hifi Banjo Strings wrote: the frontpage is for the best of the best

thats what I think we all agree on... and it will be the way things go from now on.

DJ BgM wrote: In general, I'd say tracks with any clear technical flaws shouldn't be considered. This would include (but is not limited to) being off tempo, out of key, badly structured, wildly off volume wise, and poor sound quality.

that should be put on a plaque and hung on a wall... now the trouble starts with personal preference to the actual sources used......

onelove wrote: As far as the "overbearing" thing goes- you have this tendency to respond to concern/questions with a polite way of saying "too bad - piss off". I couldn't believe your responses to Oli in that schmolli thread.. honestly I thought they were very rude (not to mention completely devoid of logic) and the only thing that made you turn tail/admit it was having mass dissent among the crowd.

I'm having trouble understanding why you are being like this to lloyd... there's no need for it. Your personal opinion of him has nothing to do with any sort of constructive feedback... if someone gets out of line that represents mashstix... trust me, I see it.... and it's not like we're all shirt and tie around here... ha, pirates with ties... and lastly, love him or hate him.... lloyd ain't going anywhere.. he does a lot for mashstix and he's allowed to act out of turn sometimes... just like anyone else.

I'll have to continue the responses in the next post.... thanks for the feedback guys... so far so good and it keeps us in check.

- Paul Stix

PreviousNext

Return to Stix chat