"Rhythm Scholar Recommends" The Best Of MashStix - July 2012

Talk about the mashup scene or anything you want. Section includes Lloyd Recommends and the Monthly Challenges

"Rhythm Scholar Recommends" The Best Of MashStix - July 2012

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:37 am

Hi Folks
Recommendation time once again... and as promised this month's selection will be something a little different, not least because I won't be choosing the tracks myself.
As the subtle change to my banner above may have given away, this month's recommendations will be hand picked by the exceptional talent that is Rhythm Scholar.
He needs no introduction but I'm always aware that we have new members daily so let's just quickly say that he's a Remixer, Producer and DJ from Chicago Illinois, who takes remixing to a whole new level.
When you've finished listening to this month's selection, make sure to check out his Soundcloud page and website...Links at the bottom of this post....(for those too lazy to type 'Rhythm Scholar' into Google)

So as I always say, sit back, get comfy, relax and enjoy this months best of Mashstix... and for once I'm going to join you myself... I'll see you at the end of the round-up for an extra little treat :1grin:

"Don't be alarmed! This is NOT a list of ALL Rhythm Scholar remixes for you to try to wade through. Instead, it is 19 recommended tracks chosen by me for the month of July here at Mashstix. See? Not as bad as you may have thought! :1cheesy:
The main part of this list is in NO particular order. I simply assigned all my favorite tunes numbers and then used a randomizer to pick the order. So, top or bottom, they're all good! Enjoy!"
- RS

MY RECOMMENDATIONS!

Chocomang - Dancing Supernature (Cerrone vs Bee Gees)
A source I know well paired wonderfully with one I had never heard before. As I said in my original comment: "This sounds like a nicely thought out remix" It sure does. And everyone knows I love me some remixes! This mashup is better than some of the commercial remixes included on the bonus-track pressings of Bee Gees 'Greatest'. That flute is a GREAT addition, as well.

No Flash Installed

Dj Evans - Red Hot Jam (Illegal Cookin DJ vs Jurrasic 5)
Rap mashups tend to get a bad... er... rap most of the time, but that's usually because even the crappiest mashers can put a tired, overused rap vocal over ANY song and feel they've accomplished something. This tune is not like that at all.
The vocals chosen fit with this track like they're supposed to be there. This reminds me of the old sample-based rap tracks that I used to love back in the day. A funky track and super smooth rapping that really compliment each other. Bravo! A combination I can't wait to play for people. Oh, and those are some really tasty claps at the start!

No Flash Installed

Jarod Ripley - Dj's On The Payphone (Maroon 5 vs Usher)
We had a few Payphone versions this month. (Actually probably MORE tunes than real payphones in existence.) I'm suggesting you check out TWO of them. Jarod Ripley's version goes full dance version and I can't wait to use it in a set. The energy created by combining these sources in undeniable

No Flash Installed

Flashard - 1996 Payphone (Maroon 5 vs The Wombats)
Flashard's take on this tune is a little more subdued and it's perfect for casually listening. If I feel like hearing payphone in any non-dance setting, then Flashard's is the one I'll listen to, choosing his over the original Maroon 5 version any day.

No Flash Installed

Hifi Banjo Strings - Please Don't Fire Me (Pink vs Scissor Sisters)
It's hard to imagine that these sources were ever apart. I've included this because it's a shining example of a pairing that simply seems 'meant to be'. In fact I have warned Hi-Fi before about submitting 'originals' as mashups. He won't listen. So, tell him 'good job' if you see him. But, we know the truth.

No Flash Installed

Reborn Identity - Rumours Have It (Fleetwood Mac vs Adele)
Really wonderful. Some people may have had their fill of Adele over the last year, but don't let her presence turn you away. Press play. You'll have to admit it's great.

No Flash Installed

Michmash - Fire In Moscow (Jimi Hendrix vs Michael Jackson)
My original comment on this was "I can't believe this works so well." And I still can't, but it DOES! A completely new feel for ol' Jimi. Excellent!

No Flash Installed

Marc Johnce - Push My Hot Freedom (Chris Willis vs Luciana vs Salt-N-Pepa)
I'll admit I was hoping to hear some Michael McDonald - Sweet Freedom when I read the title. What I got was NINE other sources stitched together well enough for me to forget about Michael. Sure, Ghostbusters has been used a thousand times before, but so what. In this incarnation it is filtered, edited and remixed to earn it's inclusion. A wonderfully done multi-mash from Johnce who is hopefully BACK to mashing again after a brief hiatus.

No Flash Installed

Mashed And Confused - Too Busy Thinking About Leja (Marvin Gaye Vs Pryda)
This is so good! I have listened to this a number of times this month. It is completely the type of thing I'm into. Marvin is given a fresh new treatment that works on every level for me. Amazing mix! Thanks for putting this together so well!

No Flash Installed

G3RSt - Disco Dreams (Eurythmics vs Siriusmo vs ...)
G3rst said it himself that this one "might sound more like a remix than a mashup". And that's true, which is one thing that makes me like it so much. This is one of those tracks I can play in a lot of situations where the crowd will be pleased to hear a 'fresh' version of a classic. Nothing too far from the original, but just enough to make it interesting again.

No Flash Installed

DRA'man - Peace & Trouble (Keren Ann VS The Sound Defects)
'The Sound Defects' make some great music, and DRA'man has made one of their tracks even better by adding vocals that are a perfect match. You won't be able to tell that these were not originally produced together.

No Flash Installed

Colatron - A Moving Song (Keren Ann v Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly)
Inspired by DRA'man's usage, CLT also came up with something for 'My Name Is Trouble'. A completely different feel, but ALL good.

No Flash Installed

Rhythm Scholar - Figure It Out (Serj Tankian vs Rhythm Scholar)
Yes. I made this... and I do recommend you check it out. For this song I created an almost completely original music track (aside from some of their guitars) which took this fast, hard rock track in a completely new direction. I hope you dig it.

No Flash Installed

Supermashine - Untitled (Sean Paul Vs David Guetta)
I hadn't heard either of these sources before, but they work really well together. That's a cool Guetta track, and I assume 'the mashine' did the vocal chopping to make them fit so nicely. A big PLUS for that. I always appreciate when someone puts in the time and effort to do more than just lay a couple tunes on top of each other and accept the results. This is Supermashine's first production which is even cooler, because I imagine he'll just take the re-editing and remixing aspects further in future productions. At least I hope so. Not yet frontpaged so Download link here - posting.php?mode=edit&f=19&p=44599

No Flash Installed

DJ Schmolli - Yellow California Girls (Beach Boys vs Coldplay)
Schmolli consistently turns out great tunes. He had a few this month, but the one that sticks in my head the most is this quirky little number. I told him right away that it was just plain silly, but dammit if I haven't listened to it a few times now, smiling during every listen.

No Flash Installed

Rick Lee - Tightrope vs Twist (Janelle Monáe vs. Chubby Checker)
Once this gets going, the idea that it's 'The Twist' disappears as the music becomes such a perfect backing for the Monáe vocals. It's obvious they were MADE for each other. Thanks to Rick Lee for noticing, and making it so!

No Flash Installed

DJ Morgoth - Midnight Divide (Example vs. Linkin Park)
I don't know either of these sources, but this is wonderful. I imagine I wouldn't like the originals more than this. A well spotted pairing that works as a new original for me.

No Flash Installed

LeeDM101 - A Blue Order On A New Monday (New Order vs New Order vs New Order...)
If you're a person who digs New Order, or you know of a crowd that will love a new presentation of some New Order classic tunes all blended together, then this track is for you. I fortunately fall into both categories and can't wait to lay this one on some unsuspecting, appreciative folks at an upcoming gig.

No Flash Installed

FLASHBACK! One extraordinary tune from last year!

Mash2Mix - In Paradise 2Night (Eric Prydz vs Coldplay vs Genesis)
As I stated in the comments when this mix was still fresh, it has received more plays than any other tune in my entire library. "A perfect mix of old and new" and I STILL love it! I probably can't fully explain it, but this one just WORKS for me, completely! Thanks again, Mash2Mix, for putting it all together!

No Flash Installed

ALMOST!! Here are some tunes I would have totally recommended except for a few details

g4gorilla - I Need Jiggy Planets (INXS vs Will Smith vs The Magic Fly)
This one KILLS ME, man... Spotting the incredible pairing of INXS and The Magic Fly is genius on your part. Really. I can't get over how nice those two sound together. I have tried a couple different takes on remixing 'Need you Tonight' myself in the past, and nothing ever really thrilled me. But THIS, this DOES thrill me. Which is why it is a monumental SHAME that you put Will Smith in there! WHY, OH WHY?! He does nothing but destroy the vibe created before his arrival. I'm surprised the simpler A+B didn't tickle you enough to keep Mr. Smith away. If you felt you needed something 'more', I would have suggested more of the SAME, possible adding more bits of the original INXS guitars or something, or remixing 'Two Planets' along the way. Maybe you tried that and it didn't work. I did listen to the original version of 'Two Planets' and I can see how the RAP in the original may have led you to consider an alternate rap in yours. And you know, usually rap can go with ANYTHING, if it's on beat, but strangely in this case it doesn't seem to work so well. I'll tell you I am very tempted to have a go at this same pairing, (MINUS Smith, of course) and see what it would sound like with some more INXS bits, a stronger beat, some filters, glitches, FX, etc. So, I'm hoping you wont mind if I steal your main idea and see what happens.

No Flash Installed

Amoraboy - You Should Dance Up (Greg J & Yohmss vs The Bee Gees)
This is GREAT, no doubt. It only has one flaw, and that is that the vocals are mixed too low. I tried it on a few systems and they never sound loud enough for my tastes. In fact the vocals seemed more drowned out the better the monitors got. It's a sadness, really. I wonder why no one said anything before this was sent to the Frontpage.

No Flash Installed

Loo and Placido - Beat It Freaks (Michael Jackson vs Yuksek vs The Noisy Freaks)
Oh how I wish this were completely solid all the way through like it is from 1:30 - 3:25. Buuuuut, I'm just not able to listen to the before and definitely not the AFTER more than once. Too bad, because that middle section is amazing... From 'The Mashup Culture 2' album link here - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9721

No Flash Installed

"Well! That's it! I hope you enjoyed this selection of tunes! It was a lot of fun being guest recommender for the month. Goodbye for now!" - Rhythm Scholar :1grin:

Wow!!! So I'd like to say a really big thank you to Rhythm Scholar for providing us with such a great selection this month, I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. If so, why not help promote the talented folks here at Stix by sharing this page on your social network of choice... and if you'd like to find out more about Rhythm Scholar (and hey! why wouldn't ya??) his links as promised are at the bottom of this post, so go connect with him on Facebook!
If you wish to download any of the tracks featured, just simply follow the link to the world famous and now newly revamped "MashStix Front Page" by clicking Here!! and then type the Producers name into the search function at the side of the page...

Okay, so that was the best of July but as promised at the top of the page, the treats don't stop there. No Sir-ee Bob, I have something extra special to thank all the people who take time out to view my monthly round-ups.
An exclusive 40 (well 37) minute Mashup Megamix, mixed by me just for you lucky people. You wont find this anywhere else, so be the envy of your neighbours and download your free copy today :1wink:

MashStix.com proudly presents
'The Mix-Tape Series [volume one]'

No Flash Installed

DOWNLOAD HERE!!!! http://official.fm/tracks/CU6I

Right So that's it folks, thanks for your time :1grin: below you will find links to all previous months and those all important links to Mr RS.

http://www.rhythmscholar.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/rsremix
http://www.facebook.com/rhythmscholar

To check out January's recommendations click here.

To check out February's recommendations click here.

To check out March's recommendations click here.

To check out April's recommendations click here.

To check out May's recommendations click here.

To check out June's recommendations click here.

Just a quick note on the links to the beginning of the year, you may find some of the preview players are now dead... please bare with us, we are having to update a lot of links due to Official.fm migrating to a new site... so if you have ever been Frontpaged here at Stix, could you please check your Frontpage links (regardless of if you use Official.fm to host... thanks )

3 Star User
Location: The uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Re: "Rhythm Scholar Recommends" The Best Of MashStix - July 2012

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:32 am

Dammit.. my technique of finding really obscure originals and remixes and passing them off as my own work has been discovered! Time to hide!

Thanks to Rhythm for the choices and, as I said on Facebook, I'm particularly fond of Flashards, Andys and Gavs. Well done to everyone listed! (Except me - I got in with lies and deceit*)

*(not really)

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for having my track in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 star User

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:22 am

Good choice, RS.
@ lloyd: This is a really brilliant mix!!! Tried to do some work at home but can't stop raving in my room. :1kiss:
Please feel free 2 join a Worldwide Brotherhood on facebook and Tumblr.
Thank U!
Love!

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:42 am

Awww thanks Ursula... I hope it wasn't too distracting :1grin:

Also can I say thank you again to RS... it's been such a pleasure this month to just sit back and listen to someone elses choices, some tracks I may not have listened to otherwise... they're all great tracks!!

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Cheers RS! The first beer's on me...

....and cheers Lloyd! The several beers are on me! God....
CLT / FB / SCD / DJ for your Soul

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Yay!!!! Free beer!!!! :1laugh:

Thanks Andy and thanks you for your kind comments elsewhere :1grin:

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:55 pm

thanks Lloyd, when i done this track, i said to myself "waouh ! it's beautiful ! " glad you like it too :1wink:

Re: "Rhythm Scolar Recommends" The Best Of MashStix - July 2012

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:50 pm

DRA'man wrote:thanks Lloyd, when i done this track, i said to myself "waouh ! it's beautiful ! " glad you like it too :1wink:

sorry RS for this mistake, you know, i understand 1 word on 5 in english so i don't take time to write everything ... I deserve to five whips :1embarassed:

Next

Return to Stix chat